Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo for you, no I mean me

Options
  • 04-08-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

So the back garden is coming togeather and it's time to start doing my research on planting. I'm going to screen two walls with bamboo and I'm not sure what type is going to be best. I'm looking for something that gets around 2m tall and c clumping variety.

I've been looking on youtube but I seem to get stuff that's 5-8m high and well I'd like to stay on good terms with the neighbours, who I've discussed all this with.

Any suggestions most welcome and thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want to stay on good terms with the neighbour's, make sure you plant it in something it can't bust its roots through. I had a nightmare job clearing bamboo from the back garden a few years ago. Spent a few days lifting and replacing paving slabs. The roots had spread everywhere. As soon as the sunlight hit them, those roots turned to shoots and headed vertical. Remember, bamboo is a grass, spreads like grass, and is hardy as fcuk. Never again....

Tl;dr Avoid bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The clumping ones aren't mean to be as bad, but it's going to be planted in such a way it shouldn't go anywhere. I still won't risk the running varieties though! Apparently some can grow a metre a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Black bamboo is gorgeous and not as vigorous as other bamboo. It does have runners but they are easy to see and control as necessary.

I had s small brick bed and that seemed to contain it.

Advertisement