Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cheque in the post' after being laid off

Options
  • 04-08-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hey boardsies! I was let go a week ago, and my final pay was due on Monday, last working day of the month. It didn't arrive.

Nothing arrived into my account on Tuesday, so I sent my (ex) boss an email querying it and reminding about holiday pay and expenses, and asking for a final payslip.

I was told I had already received my final payslip (not true - the last one was for June) and that there was a cheque in the post. I replied to express surprise over the cheque as I've always been paid by Bank Transfer and request the payslip again (as I suspect I've been underpaid in June and want to check July). I've had no response.

Though I don't believe the cliched 'cheque in the post' response in the slightest, I've given it a few more days to see if anything arrived. Nothing has. After the post had been and gone this morning, I inquired as to when the cheque was posted. No response, nor do I expect one.

How long do I leave it before I take things further? Is there some sort of formal channel to go through to get what I'm owed or is it the small claims court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Sorry to hear about your situation

I would contact your ex employer again and ask him to reissue your final payslip and also to provide a holiday pay statement. He really should have no issue doing this. If he is not forthcoming then your best bet is the employment relations commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Can you call in and put him on the spot? Easy for him to fob you off on the phone but not so easy face to face when he should be able to print off your payslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

The cheque arrived! I am pleasantly surprised.

It does seem to be a few hundred euros short, but at least I have something to keep us going while I get that sorted.

Still no sign of the payslip though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 narwhal

Kash wrote: »
    The cheque arrived! I am pleasantly surprised.

It does seem to be a few hundred euros short, but at least I have something to keep us going while I get that sorted.

Still no sign of the payslip though!

Glad to hear your cheque arrived!

You are legally entitled to a payslip or details of your payment. I would ask for a breakdown so you also know if you received your holiday entitlement.

Advertisement