Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section 42 question

Options
  • 04-08-2017 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have Sika damaging forestry in my place, so I applied for Section 42 to control them, nominating myself as the stalker.

I've just received a grant of permission in the post today (great!), but it specifies that only MALE Sika can be shot (not so great). I'll probably give the NP&WS a ring on Tuesday to get more info on this, but in the meantime I was wondering whether anyone else has experience of this condition being applied with a Section 42 permission? Is it normal?

While I realise the reason is almost certainly that females are likely to have fawns outside the regular hunting season, on the other hand it'll be extremely frustrating to see female Sika hanging around destroying saplings at their leisure and know there's practically nothing I can do about it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

fairly standard
    ya can't do anything now but next time tell the ranger that ya only see females hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get it changed too that you can take calves and bucks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Had one a few years ago for reds - stags only and just this year a mate got one similar for stays only.
    I'm on a current one that is stags and hinds and has been that way since the spring, while other ones allowed for hind / calf shooting up to October.

I do agree with Grizzly, a bit of detail can go a long way, but I also believe its down to the warden and not so much their assessment but rather the individuals opinions and beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Thanks for the replies. When I looked at the permission letter again, I realised it's only valid for 3 weeks!!! A bit of a joke really, so I'll definitely be looking to get it changed next week.

One better, I got one from June to end of August with only 1 stag on it, mate got the same and the warden wouldn't bide on it . The other ones where just renewed on resubmitance of the same paperwork.

Where abouts are you just out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Where abouts are you just out of curiosity?

West Cork

Just wondering if it was the saw warden as the cases of shot one or stags only are happening in Meath area

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

4 weeks month June for 9 male deer all sections around us where for male only

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

West Cork

Hi sakohunter. If you need a hand on culling il be more than happy to help you out when September comes. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

IT might got to do with how many deer your allowed cull.
    And what part of the country your in

• Advertisement
Advertisement