Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I kill it?

Options
  • 04-08-2017 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi all,
    After a recent project in my garden involving putting some decorative kerbing I fear I may have killed a tree that I had made a centerpiece of it all :-(

Originally there was no kerbing in place, but to put in place I dug a bit of a trench around the tree and cut through a lot of roots. I knew that cutting too many roots probably wasn't a great idea but I took a chance.

This was about 6 weeks ago and initially the tree didn't look like it had any issues - until the last couple of weeks where it has started to look in trouble.

Have I killed it or is in just in shock and needs time to recover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hard to know but I never give up for a year in such cases. Water it very well for the remainder of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have certainly upset it a bit, but on balance I'd guess it will recover. Keep watering it - a bucketful applied gently so it soaks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks guys, so there is some hope at least - I'll give it special watering attention for the rest of the summer.

Any idea what kind of tree it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ebowdia wrote: »
    Thanks guys, so there is some hope at least - I'll give it special watering attention for the rest of the summer.

Any idea what kind of tree it is?

It resembles euphorbia mellifera/honey spurge. If you cut a small branch does a milky sap appear? This sap can cause skin irritation or even blisters - worse if gets near the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ditto with the water. Apply a moisture retaining mulch of some description.

I would also be inclined to selectively thin some of the top growth to reduce the pressure on the remaining roots system and then let the plant rebalanced itself. Would go so far as to say remove a third of the plant.

I would give it a small feed of liquid manure along with liquid seaweed to help it recovery, but not do much feed that it leads to extention growth that would be more prone to disease and insect attack.

Wear gloves if it is a euphorbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It looks like a Laurier rose to me, don't know the exact name in English, pink Laurel ?
    You see a lot of them and the white variety too in the South of France.
    If so they're pretty resistant shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks a million guys, all is not lost then - watering, mulching and thinning to follow so to hopefully save it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

lottpaul wrote: »
    It resembles euphorbia mellifera/honey spurge. If you cut a small branch does a milky sap appear? This sap can cause skin irritation or even blisters - worse if gets near the eyes.

It is Euphorbi mellifera and when they get big and old they tend to die back and grow again from the bottom.

Advertisement