Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

While I enjoyed BSG overall, at some point I felt like "the plan" they were referencing at the start of every episode wasn't something they'd thought out at all. Even if the coda mini movie "The Plan" bent over backwards to try and prove that it was actually all cleverly conceived (I didn't buy it).

The Expanse however is based on a series of books and feels much sturdier as far as plot consistency goes. The amount of world-building in the first few episodes is staggering, but also a bit overwhelming, so brace yourself on your first watch.

The only thing stopping me from saying one is better than the other is that The Expanse hasn't ended yet, so we'll have to see if it sticks the landing.

Can't wait for the new season!

I’m sold !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been going through season 1 of the X-Files. I never watched this season before. They have a different feel to the later episodes but I like it so far. I recently watched 'Ice' which is quite similar to The Thing, and that episode has probably been my favourite so far. One thing that struck me is how wooden Duchovny's acting has been. He shows much more emotion in later seasons. Gillian Anderson definitely doing the heavy lifting in that regard.

I've been going through season 1 of the X-Files. I never watched this season before. They have a different feel to the later episodes but I like it so far. I recently watched 'Ice' which is quite similar to The Thing, and that episode has probably been my favourite so far. One thing that struck me is how wooden Duchovny's acting has been. He shows much more emotion in later seasons. Gillian Anderson definitely doing the heavy lifting in that regard.

The re boot was such a missed opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

If I had time, I'd love to go back and watch the early seasons again. There were some really cool episodes and ideas back then. Or at least they felt quite fresh and exciting back when they first aired!
    For sure, "Ice" is riffing quite heavily on The Thing, but still a really good episode.

Such a shame about the two most recent seasons though. They were actually quite embarrassing in places :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

is there any schedule of shows that are coming to Amazon?

I watched Deadwood a few months back but can't find the movie anywhere, Netfix, Sky etc. I read online that it was on Prime in the States so hoping it may be added here soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Degag wrote: »

I watched Deadwood a few months back but can't find the movie anywhere, Netfix, Sky etc. I read online that it was on Prime in the States so hoping it may be added here soon!
    This site isn't too bad
    https://vodzilla.co/new-on-amazon-prime-instant-video/

Justwatch is good if you want to know what is available where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Degag wrote: »

The Prime Video UK YouTube usually post what's coming at the start of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Borat 2 is also due on October 23rd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Captain Slow's cookery show arrives on Nov 13th. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Only getting round to season six of Bosch now, but even after the first episode I think it's pretty obvious already
    the dead scientist's wife is a wrong 'un.
    Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I doubt it. Not a great start to the series with such a clunky set up.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Only getting round to season six of Bosch now, but even after the first episode I think it's pretty obvious already
    the dead scientist's wife is a wrong 'un.
    Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I doubt it. Not a great start to the series with such a clunky set up.

Just started watching the same episode last night. My cousin was with me without ever having seen an episode and said the same thing !!

Still find it one of the best series thou !!

Knives Out is great fun. Like old school Ustinov Poirot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

beauf wrote: »
    A few people I know didn't like the expanse they found it too slow in season 1. I disagree with them but each to their own.

I didn't find S1 slow exactly, but it took a while for me to warm to it - can safely say now it's the finest TV sci-fi since Battlestar.

There are always shows that'll grip me from the opening moment, but equally there are those that I struggle with for a while before I really start to appreciate them.

Breaking Bad is another one, overall I would happily retrospectively describe it as one of the best TV shows ever made, but I struggled through the first two seasons.

I remain in constant fear that The Expanse will be cancelled before it can arrive at a conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Is Treadstone any good?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Acosta wrote: »
    Is Treadstone any good?
    Not really - found it a little dull. It's also been cancelled anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

ixoy wrote: »
    Not really - found it a little dull. It's also been cancelled anyway.

Ah right. Well there goes that idea.

Finished season 1. I enjoyed it. There were definitely a few episodes that felt similar to ones that went before, especially as regards spirits wanting to avenge a wrong done to them.

Best episode in the second half I think was Beyond the Sea, where they meet Boggs, a death row prisoner. The guy playing him did a great job. I liked how in this episode Mulder is the sceptic and Scully is the more open-minded. Worst one for me was Darkness Falls where
    Mulder and Scully are in a forest and have to deal with these insects that will attack you if you aren't standing near light, and so they frantically try to work the electric generator. Is it me or was there a major plot hole in this episode due to the fact none of them thinks to start a fire? Wouldn't that be the obvious solution to deal with bugs that have a fear of light? Surely they could have just lit a few torches and strolled their way out of danger.

Think I'll give season 2 a look now. I'm not sure when I started watching back in the day but I seem to have missed that season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Knives Out is great fun. Like old school Ustinov Poirot.

It was quite fun. Daniel Craig needs serious work on his accent in that movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finished season 1. I enjoyed it. There were definitely a few episodes that felt similar to ones that went before, especially as regards spirits wanting to avenge a wrong done to them.

Best episode in the second half I think was Beyond the Sea, where they meet Boggs, a death row prisoner. The guy playing him did a great job. I liked how in this episode Mulder is the sceptic and Scully is the more open-minded. Worst one for me was Darkness Falls where
    Mulder and Scully are in a forest and have to deal with these insects that will attack you if you aren't standing near light, and so they frantically try to work the electric generator. Is it me or was there a major plot hole in this episode due to the fact none of them thinks to start a fire? Wouldn't that be the obvious solution to deal with bugs that have a fear of light? Surely they could have just lit a few torches and strolled their way out of danger.

Think I'll give season 2 a look now. I'm not sure when I started watching back in the day but I seem to have missed that season as well.

Spaced and Ghost in the Machine are probably the weakest from s1, imo, kinda duds. I've time for Darkness Falls. Beyond the Sea is great, of course. Brad Dourif is Boggs. Shout out to Ice. You'll see lots of familiar faces as the seasons go on, from Jack Black and more. Tempted to buy the lot on BR, but then I'd have a stack of old DVDs.

Thought Upload was okay, not hilarious or anything close, but easy watching with nice feel to it, characters are all very shallow though. They would have benefited from being a bit less 2 dimensional, feelings changing at the drop of a hat etc. Would like to see it get a second season to conclude properly but I'm not sure if Amazon will bother or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Watched Fleabag. Good, not brilliant imo, 2nd season was better than the 1st.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would like to see it get a second season to conclude properly but I'm not sure if Amazon will bother or not.
    It got renewed a few months back.

ixoy wrote: »
    It got renewed a few months back.

Thanks. Hopefully they tie everything all in a neat bow next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Watched series 1 of utopia (the 2013 UK version). Thought it was excellent. Topical too in terms of virus/vaccine angle. I hope the antivaxxers don't latch onto it!

Why isn’t it on amazon Ireland yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

New to Prime. Delighted to see Peteeeed is over here too. Hubby has been watching Laurel and Hardy on it. He recommends it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

peteeeed wrote: »
    Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

added
    Is it only available in the UK Prime Video? I'm on a free month trial and receiving this message - This title isn't available in your location. VPN won't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone having trouble playing Borat? Keep getting an error message.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Nope, looking at it now, what error?

Nope, looking at it now, what error?

Keeps freezing like its poor Internet but my Internet speed is great. Then error message to check amazon website for help.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Sounds like internet speed to me too, its playing fine through the native prime video app on the smart telly

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Sounds like internet speed to me too, its playing fine through the native prime video app on the smart telly

Was acting up for me to reckon to many watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Keeps freezing like its poor Internet but my Internet speed is great. Then error message to check amazon website for help.

Are u using the app on smart TV ,or via Android box?

My prime and Disney+ stopped working via Android box,same thing as u, everything fine untill impress play.. error then,no play.. I googled and it seems they stopped some devices from playing content,dunno why, i got a cheap Roku stick and working fine again.

Are u using the app on smart TV ,or via Android box?

My prime and Disney+ stopped working via Android box,same thing as u, everything fine untill impress play.. error then,no play.. I googled and it seems they stopped some devices from playing content,dunno why, i got a cheap Roku stick and working fine again.

Smart TV app on LG

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Smart TV app on LG

Is it just Borat ? Weird

Is it just Borat ? Weird

Yep, I'll give it another go tomorrow night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Taiga wrote: »
    New to Prime. Delighted to see Peteeeed is over here too. Hubby has been watching Laurel and Hardy on it. He recommends it.:pac:

I don't update this one like the Netflix one as it's too hard to keep up with UK version and the Irish 😀

I was getting it when watching ' the boys' even though my Internet speed was hard wired 500 mbps
    Borat played no problem

I was getting it when watching ' the boys' even though my Internet speed was hard wired 500 mbps
    Borat played no problem

Worked no problem today, very niiice..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Borat played no problem

I got it a couple of times watching the boys as well funnily enough and never on anything else. I always watched it the day it came out and put it down to too many trying to watch it same time as me

golfball37 wrote: »
    I got it a couple of times watching the boys as well funnily enough and never on anything else. I always watched it the day it came out and put it down to too many trying to watch it same time as me

I waited for most of episodes to have come out then tried to bomb through it but every episode I'd have to stop it and restart multiple times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is Borat any use? Know a few people that have said it's poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Synode wrote: »

It's alright. Nothing brilliant, some very funny moments, some very contrived moments. It passed some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I didn't think it was great at all tbh. Was hoping it would have evolved a bit more and focused more on Trump supporters say but seemed to be just a rehash of the first one with bits of US politics thrown in here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s 90 minutes of Borat
    I like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

km79 wrote: »
    It’s 90 minutes of Borat
    I like
    A good chunk of it felt more like “Who is America?“ to me, as ‘Borat’ was in disguise.

It’s a solid 6/10 anyway.

KungPao wrote: »
    A good chunk of it felt more like “Who is America?“ to me, as ‘Borat’ was in disguise.

It’s a solid 6/10 anyway.

It was grand for a Bank holiday Sunday morning
    6/7 out of 10

Watched a bonkers Japanese series called Who Killed Daigoru Tokuyama? It's about a class of Japanese students who turn up one day to find their teacher sitting in one of the desks, murdered, with a knife in his side. Rather than call the authorities like anyone would, and because they don't trust the adults, they decide instead to hide the corpse in a locker and try to identify the killer! This leads to a host of strange moments happening and weird characters introduced, such as the janitor who believes inanimate objects have feelings and is angered when something happens to them.

Hard to know what to make of it really. It becomes clear in the opening episode that it's not like most shows and you literally have to turn your critical thinking off altogether to go along with it. It's completely ludicrous in every way, with characters behaving in a preposterous manner. Having said that, by the end of it I found myself curious to how it would end - but even the final seconds of the episode leave you with questions.

I later learned that the classroom cast in the show are actually members of a Japanese pop band, which explains the dodgy acting. Only worth a look if you're interested in something off-the-wall from Japan.

I am trying to rent a movie and it won’t let me pay as I don’t have a uk issued credit card ?
    Changed my address to a uk one but no joy
    I think I have my region set to uk for the premier league games and really don’t want to change that !
    Any other suggestions ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement