Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's crazy to think that fadó fadó Eddie Murphy was the biggest star in Hollywood; a Pluto Nash or two later and suddenly he's box office poison. A very fickle industry really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭brevity

Not sure if people are set up with the UK prime but this seems like a good deal.

Selected Prime Video Channels 99p per month for 3 months (Shudder, Starzplay, Hayu, Sundance Now, Noggin & Acorn TV) @ Amazon

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/selected-prime-video-channels-99p-per-month-for-3-months-3628845?utm_source=mappshare&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=3628845

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Maybe don't watch it then.

I’m a fan of the original, I’m a big fan of Eddie and that last film he did in Netflix.... but this trailer at least does not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I’m a fan of the original, I’m a big fan of Eddie and that last film he did in Netflix.... but this trailer at least does not look good.

I liked his last one too - Dolemite Is My Name I presume you're thinking of. Can't even see a reason why they'd make this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Started watching Upload tonight. Think I made it through 4 episodes. Cheesy fluff. Looks good though, as in special effects and polished. No way it's worth the 8.0 it has on IMDB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

brevity wrote: »
    Not sure if people are set up with the UK prime but this seems like a good deal.

Selected Prime Video Channels 99p per month for 3 months (Shudder, Starzplay, Hayu, Sundance Now, Noggin & Acorn TV) @ Amazon

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/selected-prime-video-channels-99p-per-month-for-3-months-3628845?utm_source=mappshare&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=3628845
    The Stand (2020) on Starzplay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Started watching The Terror. Three episodes in and it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Season 4 of the X-Files. Plenty of high points in this season, although I thought it ran out of steam near the end. The season finale, Gethsemane, was probably the weakest of these early season ones imo, although they did create mystery with the cliffhanger.

I really liked the start of the season. Enjoyable opener involving the healer and the Alien Bounty Hunter, while the second episode, Home, was one of the creepiest episodes I’ve seen. That scene where the family attack the sheriff as the music ‘Wonderful, wonderful’ plays was very unsettling.

Paper Hearts for me was the episode of the season. The villain Roche in this was one of the best I've seen in the show as he messes with Mulder's head. I also enjoyed Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man and Leonard Betts. Scully’s cancer is a big storyline in this season and Gillian Anderson’s acting is fantastic, particularly in Memento Mori.

The mythology episodes didn’t impress me as much as previous seasons. I didn’t care for how Krychek was utilised, and Mulder in Russia was pretty silly. Marita Covarrubias, while easy on the eyes, didn’t really add a whole lot, and wasn’t as interesting to me as her predecessors. Skinner was a highlight when he was around.

Overall, a strong season and the good episodes tend to be very good. I’m going to keep going into Season 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Most of what you've outlined there falls in sync with that book I mentioned re critiques. By this stage the show was well onto its stride with a cinematic feel. See for example Tempus Fugit where we see the shot of the crash site. Home seemed to freak Fox out and I don't think it was re-aired and it's why the Irish DVDs for year 4 are 18 rather than the usual 15.

Paper Hearts is heartbreaking. You don't hire Tom Noonan to play a saint.

I think the story for Memento Mori was broken over a weekend after Darin Morgan couldn't deliver. I might have that wrong. Critics tend to hate Chris Carter's monologues.

Yes, Laurie Holden...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Advanced talks have been ongoing between Amazon & the FIA to live stream F1 races on Prime Video in future.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/12/24/f1-in-advanced-talks-to-stream-races-on-amazon/?feed_id=12938

Reports are saying that it's very likely that live F1 racing would be available on Prime Video while in combination with other streaming services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

I hope they bring in the ability to lock the screen like netflix
    Very frustrating when you accidentally hit the screen and all imdb stuff comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

smilerf wrote: »
    I hope they bring in the ability to lock the screen like netflix
    Very frustrating when you accidentally hit the screen and all imdb stuff comes up

Agreed, although xray is an amazing service and one I miss when watching something anywhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

There is nothing new in this service ever.
    It's like the Russians vs the Germans in WW2. The Germans had better tanks but the russians were able to turn out a lot more of an inferior product.
    Mind you if the Russians put out as much garbage as Netflix did we would all be sprechen sie deutch.

Happy Christmas from Stalingrad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is there a poll anywhere for the worst film on Amazon Prime?

I think I found a contender last night when I tried Dauntless: The Battle of Midway.

Not only is it a poor film but they music score is the worst I've ever heard.

If you are daft enough to watch it let me know how suitable the music for Elgar's Jupiter is when the plane takes off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Synode wrote: »
    Started watching Upload tonight. Think I made it through 4 episodes. Cheesy fluff. Looks good though, as in special effects and polished. No way it's worth the 8.0 it has on IMDB

I loved Upload, and thought it was one of the best shows of the year. Shame it only had a few episodes, but it has great production, excellent cast and some really good laughs. Plus the lead actress is gorgeous!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Advanced talks have been ongoing between Amazon & the FIA to live stream F1 races on Prime Video in future.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/12/24/f1-in-advanced-talks-to-stream-races-on-amazon/?feed_id=12938

Reports are saying that it's very likely that live F1 racing would be available on Prime Video while in combination with other streaming services.

The exclusive rights to Formula One in Ireland have already been sold to Sky Sports
    through to the end of the 2024 season, so don’t expect F1 on Prime Video here anyone soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

icdg wrote: »
    The exclusive rights to Formula One in Ireland have already been sold to Sky Sports
    through to the end of the 2024 season, so don’t expect F1 on Prime Video here anyone soon.

Even if amazon got the rights, it would get lost on their menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there a poll anywhere for the worst film on Amazon Prime?

I think I found a contender last night when I tried Dauntless: The Battle of Midway.

Not only is it a poor film but they music score is the worst I've ever heard.

If you are daft enough to watch it let me know how suitable the music for Elgar's Jupiter is when the plane takes off.

Such a bad movie... Lot of money spent on the effects etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just got an email
    Due to brexit I can no longer watch UK catalogue
    Assume that knead premier league games too
    I will be cancelling now if that’s the case
    It might help cut down my online shopping for a few months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

Got an email from Amazon today,anyone set up with prime video uk living in Ireland,will lose access to it after Jan 1 and revert to the limited catalogue in Ireland.Thanks Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

km79 wrote: »
    Just got an email
    Due to brexit I can no longer watch UK catalogue
    Assume that knead premier league games too
    I will be cancelling now if that’s the case
    It might help cut down my online shopping for a few months :D

Yep, not worth keeping now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Looks like we are going to lose the ability to use UK accounts.
    ....We noticed you have been watching Prime Video content from outside the UK and we want to notify you of upcoming changes to your experience. These are a result of the changing applicability of the EU regulation on cross border portability of online content services when the United Kingdom’s post-Brexit transition period ends. As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021....

I only switched to the UK because I couldn't get the Expanse to work on my Irish account.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

I got the same email - is there any information available on the differences between prime video in Ireland and the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What confuses me is that even some of the film's Amazon have funded in the USA don't make it to the service here . Sound of metal being one recent example but there are loads of others .

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Yup, that'll be that for me also on the full fat Prime sub, question mark over shopping and now nuking the better UK Primevideo catalogue. God save Brexit, tallyho Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Same here. I wont miss the horrible interface.

What Is a good alternative streaming service for Ireland? I have Netflix and Disney+ already - i dont do Sky. (no sports interest and no reality tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Mine was switched to a the Irish catalogue just before Christmas when the interface was changed.

Got it switched back to the UK but I'm hoping because I pay from a UK bank in Sterling and have some deliveries to a UK account that I can keep set to the UK?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the Irish catalog any good ? What’s the German prime like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ted1 wrote:
    Is the Irish catalog any good ? What’s the German prime like ?

Smart dns is very reasonably priced. You can get prime UK, iplayer and all the UK apps with it. You can also get any US streaming service that you are willing to pay for with the dns. HBO MAX, Hulu, Showtime prime video US etc.

I'm on prime UK from Dublin but because I use a smart dns I wasn't sent the email that many above got. My UK service won't be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Mine was switched to a the Irish catalogue just before Christmas when the interface was changed.

Got it switched back to the UK but I'm hoping because I pay from a UK bank in Sterling and have some deliveries to a UK account that I can keep set to the UK?

Same here, still got the email though.... I'd suggest it's more to do with the geolocation of the IP address being used since the email notes that I'd been watching outside the UK and says I will still access limited content when outside the UK (Amazon series) but will have everything once back in the UK, not even the 30 day grace you get on other services. On the foot of that I'm expecting to be nuked Jan 1 since I don't do VPN.

Advertisement