Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I’ve been using the prime app on sky q box wondering did this trigger the email?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Newport81 wrote: »
    I’ve been using the prime app on sky q box wondering did this trigger the email?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Smart dns is very reasonably priced. You can get prime UK, iplayer and all the UK apps with it. You can also get any US streaming service that you are willing to pay for with the dns. HBO MAX, Hulu, Showtime prime video US etc.

I'm on prime UK from Dublin but because I use a smart dns I wasn't sent the email that many above got. My UK service won't be affected.

Have you smart DNS set up on your router or device ?

Initial reviews say it’s quite slow

Newport81 wrote: »

Nope it’s down to Brexit apparently sky are losing 50 channels

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I recall that like a lot of people here, I switched to a UK address because there was more on their catalogue. A limited UK service is not viable, so how does the default Irish service compare to the default UK service today?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Nope it’s down to Brexit apparently sky are losing 50 channels

Yup but those channels are all still beamed via satellite and can be received via a Freesat or FTA receiver here in Ireland, SKY can just no longer include them on their EPG as the channels didn't go through the process to officially allow content outside UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Eir have been promoting one year of Amazon Prime with their packages, this could amount to false advertising if it doesn't have the range of things they say that it had.
    Anyone have this?

Straight away the sport is gone. It was good for rugby in November.
    No interest in soccer. The tennis was also good.

ted1 wrote: »
    Straight away the sport is gone. It was good for rugby in November.
    No interest in soccer. The tennis was also good.

Yup, also a lot of Movies and some series gone. Overall a much diminished service, imo euro for euro the value isn't there (if you know what your missing I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No email yet anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,209 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

beauf wrote: »
    Looks like we are going to lose the ability to use UK accounts.

I only switched to the UK because I couldn't get the Expanse to work on my Irish account.

I got the same email.

They must of tracking my Irish IP other wise I find it hard to see how noticed I was using UK Prime from Ireland due to me using UK payment and UK address

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Eir have been promoting one year of Amazon Prime with their packages, this could amount to false advertising if it doesn't have the range of things they say that it had.
    Anyone have this?

How?
    They are offering prime and those that avail of the offer will get prime.

Eir were not offering access to uk prime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Anyone have this?

Prime will still be available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Once I watch the second part of season six of vikings I'll probably just cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭micks_address

Got an email from Amazon saying my outside uk viewing will be limited due to brexit from 1st jan. guess I can use a vpn. My video location is set to uk for content

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Anyone have this?

It will do nothing of the sort. The Eir offer, if you did the slightest bit of research, in the faqs and the terms and conditions refers to primevideo.com, not amazon.co.uk/amazon-video.

They are giving customers in Ireland access to the amazon prime video content that is naturally available to them without the need for any geolocation spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ted1 wrote:
    Initial reviews say it’s quite slow

I have no issues with prime video, NowTV UK, HBO MAX, Disney. Netflix US can be slow and iplayer can have buffering issues from time to time. VPN can be much slower than DNS.

Smart dns proxy is around 60 euro for 2 years if you pay for upfront. You can pay per month but gets more expensive. They also give a free trial I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It will do nothing of the sort. The Eir offer, if you did the slightest bit of research, in the faqs and the terms and conditions refers to primevideo.com, not amazon.co.uk/amazon-video.

They are giving customers in Ireland access to the amazon prime video content that is naturally available to them without the need for any geolocation spoofing.

Fair enough, I have no need of Eir and haven't researched their offer.

But perhaps Amazon having two products is not that clear either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Fair enough, I have no need of Eir and haven't researched their offer.

You haven't researched amazon either. :pac:
    There are more than 2.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

beauf wrote: »
    Looks like we are going to lose the ability to use UK accounts.

I only switched to the UK because I couldn't get the Expanse to work on my Irish account.
    I hop on Prime every so often, never changed from Prime Video Ireland and have never had any issues watching The Expanse or anything else I've wanted to watch (absolutely no interest in the Premiership).

I have noticed that sometimes it can be a bit fiddly depending on how you watching Prime Video, think you're roaming when you're actually in Ireland (IP address issue?) and then only offer you the extremely limited roaming catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Got an email from Amazon saying my outside uk viewing will be limited due to brexit from 1st jan. guess I can use a vpn. My video location is set to uk for content

when did you get that email? and do you use an irish address? i get the uk prime but haven't got an email yet

Mine was switched to a the Irish catalogue just before Christmas when the interface was changed.

Got it switched back to the UK but I'm hoping because I pay from a UK bank in Sterling and have some deliveries to a UK account that I can keep set to the UK?
    You can keep UK Prime Video but you'll need a VPN or DNS proxy to be able to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭micks_address

peteeeed wrote: »
    when did you get that email? and do you use an irish address? i get the uk prime but haven't got an email yet

This morning. Think it will be fine with a vpn but I expect to be limited to Irish content without it. I use uk address for video location
    Email

We noticed you have been watching Prime Video content from outside the UK and we want to notify you of upcoming changes to your experience. These are a result of the changing applicability of the EU regulation on cross border portability of online content services when the United Kingdom’s post-Brexit transition period ends. As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021.

If you have relocated from the UK to another country and wish to access the content available in that country, you can update your home location here and continue streaming on your various devices and from primevideo.com.

If you are only traveling and will be returning to the UK, you do not need to take any action; while outside of the UK, you will have access to a limited catalogue featuring selected Amazon Originals such as The Boys, Utopia and Fleabag. Access to your full UK catalogue will resume when you return to the UK. You can see the full list of available titles to watch while abroad here.

To learn more about accessing Prime Video, please visit the Prime Video help pages on Amazon.co.uk or on primevideo.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mine was switched to a the Irish catalogue just before Christmas when the interface was changed.

Got it switched back to the UK but I'm hoping because I pay from a UK bank in Sterling and have some deliveries to a UK account that I can keep set to the UK?

They did that to me. I guess they tracked IP address usage and figured we are Irish customers and changed it expecting many to not care or notice. I got mine changed back as you did.
    You'd be able to keep it as UK but with limited access unless you use some other 'solution'...

Basically it goes back to how it was before the EU directive came into force making all EU states have to offer all streaming services in the home country of subscription to those 'travelling' in other EU states. We just got away with it for a long time as it was never enforced. Now I guess it costs Amazon money to provide this across borders and they are removing it. There's nothing to actually stop them continuing the service as far as I'm aware.

Dave..M wrote: »
    Same here, still got the email though.... I'd suggest it's more to do with the geolocation of the IP address being used since the email notes that I'd been watching outside the UK and says I will still access limited content when outside the UK (Amazon series) but will have everything once back in the UK, not even the 30 day grace you get on other services. On the foot of that I'm expecting to be nuked Jan 1 since I don't do VPN.
    The thirty day grace period provided by other UK services (eg Now TV UK) in line with EU digital roaming law is being nuked on the 31st December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

MBSnr wrote: »
    They did that to me. I guess they tracked IP address usage and figured we are Irish customers and changed it expecting many to not care or notice. I got mine changed back as you did.
    You'd be able to keep it as UK but with limited access unless you use some other 'solution'...

Basically it goes back to how it was before the EU directive came into force making all EU states have to offer all streaming services in the home country of subscription to those 'travelling' in other EU states. We just got away with it for a long time as it was never enforced. Now I guess it costs Amazon money to provide this across borders and they are removing it. There's nothing to actually stop them continuing the service as far as I'm aware.

The most annoying thing when the switched it over without telling me is that I lost my watchlist.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Anyone have this?
    This change has zero impact on the Irish Prime Video so there's no false advertising at play here.

The most annoying thing when the switched it over without telling me is that I lost my watchlist.

I got it switched back but before I did I noticed on the Amazon UK website I could still access my UK watch list, I was able to check title for title to the Ireland service and about 20% weren't available, mostly movies (off the top of my head 1917 for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Amazon prime video is exactly the same as any streaming service. Different content for different countries. Amazon & Netflix have different content for each country they sell to. Disney plus US has different content to Ireland Disney Plus.

It's not that they are being sneaky or tricky. They only have a license to broadcast certain products in certain countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Dave..M wrote: »
    I got it switched back but before I did I noticed on the Amazon UK website I could still access my UK watch list, I was able to check title for title to the Ireland service and about 20% weren't available, mostly movies (off the top of my head 1917 for example)

TBH the only thing I've watched that would have been otherwise restricted are the PL games. But they basically finish this month anyhow. The other Amazon originals are still available in the Irish version but with the other streaming services I have, we mostly find that Amazon is the least used anyhow. If there was a means of just paying for prime delivery without all the other unused stuff like video, I'd take that option.

Advertisement