Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

knightfly wrote: »
    From a technical perspective I believe you can, however it would mean giving them your password... That might mean they can purchase stuff in the Amazon store and have you pick up the bill

Cheers. I am thinking of family members who I actually trust. So that won't be an issue. It won't be a boardsie thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Raoul wrote: »
    Cheers. I am thinking of family members who I actually trust. So that won't be an issue. It won't be a boardsie thing. :D

If you linked a Revolut card to the account and just kept or put enough into it to cover the monthly cost wouldn't that prevent any unwanted orders.
    Or pay for the annual Prime subscription at £79.99,works put about €10 more per year but full Prime benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Majority of videos can't be viewed from my location... yay Brexit. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Majority of videos can't be viewed from my location... yay Brexit. :/

Use primevideo.com...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have been having a battle with my firestick 4k for a few weeks now. Like everyone else Brexit borked it. Had my address set back to Ireland and it started working again for the usual stuff. Then I would start getting the Internet Connection Error.. had to delete cache, data, restart and that usually fixed it. I noticed every time that in preferences/location it reverted to my parcel motel post code.. long after that address was deleted altogether from my amazon account.. factory reset to make sure its not caching.

Amazon support = responsive but useless. Finally I got one tonight telling me something new i.e. Firestick 4k wont work in Ireland only the Firestick Basic. I sent them a link to it on sale in the Currys across the road here which they had no answer to. Anyway this was news to me since I just finished watching the hobbit with the kids on it a few hours ago. No matter what I do the UK parcel motel postcode keeps popping as my location.

Of course prime works on every device in the house including some smart TVs in other rooms.. but not on the amazon device itself. Awful company if you are Irish. It says a lot about the lack of competition that they do so well here.

So I am giving up. I either want to get a streamer that will work with no drama. Or cancel prime, which is fairly useless now anyway. If I were to pick up a streamer thats flawless with Prime, Netflix, Disney Plus etc...do folks have any recommendations ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    So I am giving up. I either want to get a streamer that will work with no drama. Or cancel prime, which is fairly useless now anyway. If I were to pick up a streamer thats flawless with Prime, Netflix, Disney Plus etc...do folks have any recommendations ?

Have you tried using the prime video app?

And a chromecast might make more sense?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Now TV Stick but you won't get 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Is it possible to share your amazon prime account with other family members that don't live in the same house as you? Like with Disney plus, I can share with 3 other family members and we can all watch at the same time.

I set up an amazon account for prime video only, i have it shared with a few people.
    No credit card info on it so no purchases.
    Solved all my worries about people buying stuff on amazon with my account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I set up an amazon account for prime video only, i have it shared with a few people.

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hootanany wrote: »
    How do you do that?

Just pay for it normally with a card then go into your control panel and "remove" the card.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Quackster wrote: »
    Now TV Stick but you won't get 4K.

I went to currys and got a Roku Streaming Stick +. Expensive but working perfectly. Amazon are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

How many people can you share it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

How many people can you share it with?

I have had with three people using it but if someone opens a fourth session it shuts down all bar the first session and current session.

So two and if you are careful 3.

Just try it yourself and open more than one session on a computer.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Amazon support = responsive but useless. Finally I got one tonight telling me something new i.e. Firestick 4k wont work in Ireland only the Firestick Basic. I sent them a link to it on sale in the Currys across the road here which they had no answer to. Anyway this was news to me since I just finished watching the hobbit with the kids on it a few hours ago. No matter what I do the UK parcel motel postcode keeps popping as my location.

Firestick 4k isn't supposed to be sold in Ireland. Amazon don't ship it here from any other amazon site in the eu. Curry's bring them into Ireland themselves. There is no Irish agent or Irish warranty for that matter. From amazon's point of view, if curry's sold it to you then bring it back to them. Having said all of that the issue isn't with the Firestick. Once you did a factory reset you wiped all the personal & user data. If Parcel motel postcode keeps coming back then this information can only be coming from Amazon themselves. I'd imagine the parcel motel address is still on your account somewhere. If memory serves you had to like the payment card to a UK address. There is a section on your account for digital things like prime video, music etc. This could be set to pm & yet it the general section for addresses it could be deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

eposhea wrote: »
    Do you have Amazon Music Unlimited, separately to Prime? I have never been able to access music as part of Prime membership in Ireland!

Same. Any joy? Chat told me music doesn't work in Ireland. Then continued to tell me the UK and Ireland are different countries! I said I pay for it in prime membership and I was told to pay for it separately for it to work. No thanks I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

wizardman wrote: »
    Same. Any joy? Chat told me music doesn't work in Ireland. Then continued to tell me the UK and Ireland are different countries! I said I pay for it in prime membership and I was told to pay for it separately for it to work. No thanks I said!

I have Amazon music via Alexa and have a year fully paid up Prime membership but I got charged £3.99 for music just yesterday, haven't followed up with Amazon yet on it.

So music doesn't work with a Prime membership you have to buy it separately. Got confirmation of that this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

So music doesn't work with a Prime membership you have to buy it separately. Got confirmation of that this morning.

Thanks for that - will be cancelling music so, now paying for Prime and for Music as a separate sub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

It does but its limited. I just opened the app on my phone and said no to everything and then i could search and play anything I could think of. My echos usually defaults to amazon music without issue also.

I had everything set to UK parcel motel address so I could watch premier league football, prime video full library but could never get music to work even with revoult card. Wasn't too bother as I use Spotify.

While on chat they confirmed everything was set to a UK address but wouldn't work so IP address must come into play. Anyway I get her to change everything to my Irish address on her end and I changed all my devices to my Irish address.

Damn Brexit!

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    It does but its limited. I just opened the app on my phone and said no to everything and then i could search and play anything I could think of. My echos usually defaults to amazon music without issue also.

Oh right.. I couldn't get it to work even after she changed my address to Ireland and I reinstalled the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Oh right.. I couldn't get it to work even after she changed my address to Ireland and I reinstalled the app.

Yes strange alright. Have you tried logging into prime video on a pc and see does that say your connected to UK. I was able to change everything back to Ireland this way post brexit. I've never paid for anything more than the standard prime account and have the music working so it is possible.

iamtony wrote: »
    Yes strange alright. Have you tried logging into prime video on a pc and see does that say your connected to UK. I was able to change everything back to Ireland this way post brexit. I've never paid for anything more than the standard prime account and have the music working so it is possible.

I check that out, thanks tony

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Season 5 of the X-Files. I figured out what episode I started watching back in the 90s - it was this season's finale. I always believed it was earlier than that. I much preferred the final episode here compared to last season. There seemed to be quite a lot of mythology episodes but they felt like an improvement on the previous season.

Overall though, I probably liked this season the least of the ones I've been watching. I felt the relationship with Mulder and Scully was somewhat off here. One minute they're very close, and then in other episodes they don't seem to be getting along at all. I didn't like Mulder becoming the sceptic and I couldn't understand how he could square this new viewpoint with stuff he'd seen, like the Alien Bounty Hunter. Does he think he's some sort of government creation? I wish we had more of a focus on this.

Apparently, the writers were preparing for the movie, so perhaps that's why some of these episodes felt a bit lacking in focus. There were good episodes that I liked. I enjoyed the one that explored how the Lone Gunmen met Mulder. I also liked the episode where Mulder has to go undercover. My favourite was maybe Folie a Deux about the office worker that sees his boss is a giant insect creature - this one had a Twilight Zone feel to it that appealed to me.

On the negative side, I didn't care much for the Emily storyline that Scully dealt with. I think Gillian Anderson's acting was good but the story didn't really connect. I was excited when the character of Pusher returned but didn't like how they handled it. I wasn't a fan of the angels episode either where Scully has to save the girl. I tend to worry when the show dips into religious stuff as the end results usually aren't great.

I'll keep going into the next season. I'm curious to see what I make of things with fresh eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Prime account holder. Changed default address to home Southern Ireland location a few days ago. Tried to use the app on my TV tonight and getting "not available in your location" on everything.

Changed location to Ireland on primevideo.com and while it works on my laptop still not working on tv app - after signing out and back in. Any ideas?

Prime account holder. Changed default address to home Southern Ireland location a few days ago. Tried to use the app on my TV tonight and getting "not available in your location" on everything.

Changed location to Ireland on primevideo.com and while it works on my laptop still not working on tv app - after signing out and back in. Any ideas?

You might have to get onto chat to make sure everything is set to Ireland on their end. Can you clear the cache or delete and reinstall app?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

If you are using the FireTV Stick then don't use the "my Movies" from the main main menu; it won't work. Instead use the primeVideo app.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Hi all
    Not sure if I’m in the right spot
    But here goes anyhow
    What is the best recommended device to cast from iPhone to non smart tv, it does have a hdmi socket
    Thank in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

SheroP wrote: »
    Hi all
    Not sure if I’m in the right spot
    But here goes anyhow
    What is the best recommended device to cast from iPhone to non smart tv, it does have a hdmi socket
    Thank in advance

I have a chrome cast and a Roku box, both very easy to use. Roku box has its own remote which is useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

That’s great, thanks for your advice

Advertisement