Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preparing for breeding 2017

• 04-08-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

What do lads do to prepare for breeding every year? What do you find that has and hasnt worked?

My plan for this year is.. split the sheep into three groups my lleyn ram will be put into all the Suffolk cross sheep, the charlaois will be put in with the lleyn and lleyn cross ewes and the lambs will be getting charlaois ram with them.

Before I split all the sheep I intend on dipping everything being retained for breeding , dosing them maybe giving everything a bolus??(opinions on this?) I will then use a ram with the straddle on to stop him putting anything in lamb take him out after three days and this will hopefully compact my lambing as I cant take too much time off work for lambing.
    I intend on letting the rams to start working the 25th of September for 5 weeks, would people find a high level of ewe lambs would go in lamb in this space of time? Two year ago I had 32 that went in lamb out of 38 last year not one ewe lamb went in lamb both had rams out with them by the end of September.
    At the moment my ewes are cleaning up field's so in the next two to three weeks ill put them on the reseed which the ewe lambs are currently grazing.
    Suggestions /opinions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

If the ewes are in good nick, would you consider keeping em on tight grass for a while longer, then sooner to putting in the ram, put em in very grass... to flush em...

Used growvite once before and I thought it good, but hard to know if it was the year rather than the growvite...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I give the Ram 8 weeks with the Ewe Lambs. Out of 40 this year I'd say about 35 of them lambed. Any Ewe lamb that doesn't have a lamb usually goes to the factory after scanning

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I give the Ram 8 weeks with the Ewe Lambs. Out of 40 this year I'd say about 35 of them lambed. Any Ewe lamb that doesn't have a lamb usually goes to the factory after scanning

When do you put the ram out with them? I cant afford a lambing season that long due to work but dont want to push my lambing back further than September 25th if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

farming93 wrote: »
    When do you put the ram out with them? I cant afford a lambing season that long due to work but dont want to push my lambing back further than September 25th if possible.

Only give the ram 5 weeks here with ewe lambs from about 2nd week of October. Out of 40 2 weren't tipped and 38 lambed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

farming93 wrote: »

Around the 1st of October. Most of them will be tipped in the first 4-5 weeks anyway, but I like to give them that bit longer with the Rams since they are only young sheep. Ewes also go with Rams on 1st of October for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement