Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 in 1 feeders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

wrangler wrote: »
    A guy on facebook posted that horns were a problem

Thanks Wrangler. I must have a look for that.
    I m disappointed to say the least. It was Too good to be true. If they worked I reckon they were well with the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ADKELMAC wrote: »
    Thanks Wrangler. I must have a look for that.
    I m disappointed to say the least. It was Too good to be true. If they worked I reckon they were well with the money.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/913653418786760

Sound man. Thanks. Never knew such a group existed.

There's unreal advice on it, unfortunately both good and dangerous

There's a good thread on teh feeders on it at the moment, I think you have to join to see it

• Advertisement

Yep I ve seen that. I just put in the request to join.
    I hope someone has had a positive experience. Feeding sheep in the springtime is the biggest obstacle for me and poor handling facilities too, which I hope to rectify this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I hope someone has had a positive experience. Feeding sheep in the springtime is the biggest obstacle for me and poor handling facilities too, which I hope to rectify this year.

If your horned ewes are used to getting feed they will get used to the feeder alright. I had a batch of 50 ewes on it when I first got it about half of them were horned ewes (granted they weren’t on the hill). The only thing I did notice with the horned ewes they would rattle the feeder with their horns to get more feed down so maybe that was a problem? I didn’t notice any ewes getting over or under conditioned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

If feeding horned ewes only there would be no issue feeding with these. Ive feed them and never get caught

razor8 wrote: »
    If feeding horned ewes only there would be no issue feeding with these. Ive feed them and never get caught

Thanks for the replies lads. Yes on the Facebook forum plenty seem to be able feed horned ewes with them too. I think I ll chance buying one. The 500 looks alright as it’s low enough for filling with bags. I ll start one bunch of 50 ewes on it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are the Fox feeders like? The hopper type.?

• Advertisement

They're very good but wet meal is corrosive so you'd need to paint the trough at least every second year or third year to keep it right, we have the trough in the 3 in 1 feeder painted and it was galvanised, I think the 3 in 1 feeders have stainless steel troughs now, they fox feeder is a good strong feeder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not sure what type you mean. I had a fix feeder a few years ago, maybe 8 feet long, creep gates both sides, took maybe 300kg nuts...
    Good strong feeder as wrangler says, but it was forever letting in water under roof. The roof didn’t come down over the sides, so the rain just went in under...
    Was a bollox of a job...

Not sure what type you mean. I had a fix feeder a few years ago, maybe 8 feet long, creep gates both sides, took maybe 300kg nuts...
    Good strong feeder as wrangler says, but it was forever letting in water under roof. The roof didn’t come down over the sides, so the rain just went in under...
    Was a bollox of a job...

Mine never let in water apart from blowing in the side

Mine never let in water apart from blowing in the side

No, was in the side mine let it in as well - but we’d be in an open enough spot, so every time it rained the wind carried it in...

Now - I should have fixed it up right by putting sides on the roof, it wouldn’t have been a big job...

It was a good heavy feeder to be fair...

Would I be better go with Cormacs? They’d be for indoor finishing of hoggets.

Would I be better go with Cormacs? They’d be for indoor finishing of hoggets.

Would it be for many memory?

If indoor, and only hoggets could you use troughs?

We used to feed hoggets in calf troughs, something similar to link below. They were that bit high, they could eat from them but wouldn’t walk over/into them, so you put in a good bit of meal...

Maybe they would be more versatile to you as well, than the lamb creep feed?

Just a thought...

http://moyfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Double-Galv-Trough-Tubular.jpg

No, was in the side mine let it in as well - but we’d be in an open enough spot, so every time it rained the wind carried it in...

Now - I should have fixed it up right by putting sides on the roof, it wouldn’t have been a big job...

It was a good heavy feeder to be fair...

No, rain never came in the side of the lid, it came in to the trough.....blown in where the lambs stand.
    No rain ever got into the hopper itself

Would it be for many memory?

If indoor, and only hoggets could you use troughs?

We used to feed hoggets in calf troughs, something similar to link below. They were that bit high, they could eat from them but wouldn’t walk over/into them, so you put in a good bit of meal...

Maybe they would be more versatile to you as well, than the lamb creep feed?

Just a thought...

http://moyfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Double-Galv-Trough-Tubular.jpg

I could use timber troughs and give them access to an open yard. Just thought that the creep might save time and space plus better thrive.

I could use timber troughs and give them access to an open yard. Just thought that the creep might save time and space plus better thrive.

Wouldn’t advise on the open yard - they will only bring in wet onto straw, and could end up with feet issues...
    Could you feed them inside?

Wouldn’t advise on the open yard - they will only bring in wet onto straw, and could end up with feet issues...
    Could you feed them inside?

I could and probably way cheaper

• Advertisement

How is the feeder working now, it's getting lots of praise on facebook, it's ideal for parttime farmers....... if it works

How is the feeder working now, it's getting lots of praise on facebook, it's ideal for parttime farmers....... if it works

Have my 3in1 out now with a few weeks...

The normal lamb fattening nut I use is a big nut, and it took some changing of settings to get working - and it did work, but I think in reality it was too big.
    I also tried a small creep feed pellet, which again worked ok...

However - even though both worked ok, I feel you'd want to check the feeder every day as the pellets get wet from the licking and turn a bit pasty and sticky in the trough... So the flow wasn't super, and the trough just wouldn't fill properly in palces...

I got some whole barley at the weekend, and threw some in yesterday. Checking today, it seems to be doing a much better job. It flows better, I guess it doesn't get sticky...
    We'll see how long it takes them to get through what I put in now, to see how quick its going...

Overall, happy enough with it, so far anyways... ;)

The wet gets everywhere on a damp day.

Have my 3in1 out now with a few weeks...

The normal lamb fattening nut I use is a big nut, and it took some changing of settings to get working - and it did work, but I think in reality it was too big.
    I also tried a small creep feed pellet, which again worked ok...

However - even though both worked ok, I feel you'd want to check the feeder every day as the pellets get wet from the licking and turn a bit pasty and sticky in the trough... So the flow wasn't super, and the trough just wouldn't fill properly in palces...

I got some whole barley at the weekend, and threw some in yesterday. Checking today, it seems to be doing a much better job. It flows better, I guess it doesn't get sticky...
    We'll see how long it takes them to get through what I put in now, to see how quick its going...
    Overall, happy enough with it, so far anyways... ;)

We'd always turn the end to the prevailing wind...... it's a big help.
    We've had to use the dearer grennans meal because it's less dusty, that also makes a difference.
    I'm always promising to extend the roof and sides but !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

What sort of price are these out of interest?

Wouldnt it be some job if it could read the eid tag and tell you how many times a day each lamb visited (assuming i understand how they work)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dannyboy1605

We made a purchase recently too. Have it for 4 weeks now with inlamb ewes. Nothing but positive reviews about them on Facebook recently.

We tried the feeder with nuts (5 or 6mm), didn’t work great as you have to open the adjusters more to allow the nut to flow, minimum of 500g we could restrict it. As mentioned previously nuts turn into a paste with the saliva or if they get wet. The feeder needs to be checked daily with nuts.

On oats it is working well, rarely gets blocked and is able to deal with the wet better. You can restrict feeding to 200g. I currently have the twins on the feeder, oats at 500g.

Some issues are not all ewes are feeding from it, only the usual faces. I haven’t seen the horned ewes eating from it yet, have horned ewes fed for other people?

I would love to try a 3mm ewe pellet but cannot source supplier? Cork area

We made a purchase recently too. Have it for 4 weeks now with inlamb ewes. Nothing but positive reviews about them on Facebook recently.

We tried the feeder with nuts (5 or 6mm), didn’t work great as you have to open the adjusters more to allow the nut to flow, minimum of 500g we could restrict it. As mentioned previously nuts turn into a paste with the saliva or if they get wet. The feeder needs to be checked daily with nuts.

On oats it is working well, rarely gets blocked and is able to deal with the wet better. You can restrict feeding to 200g. I currently have the twins on the feeder, oats at 500g.

Some issues are not all ewes are feeding from it, only the usual faces. I haven’t seen the horned ewes eating from it yet, have horned ewes fed for other people?

People have added food colouring to it to see who's eating it, they'd have the colour on their mouth, Horned ewes seem to be a problem, I used to feed 120
    lowland ewe lambs in it every winter and only ever saw one that didn't thrive the way she should have. Users in great Britain seem to be able to get protein pellets to mix with the grain which'd be great coming up to lambing.

I tried a smaller pellet - southern milling intensive lamb. You might be able to get those as well? You’ll pay for them though...

Worked better than the bigger pellet - but still the pellets got damp and stuck...

I would stick with the oats if it’s working...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dannyboy1605

I tried a smaller pellet - southern milling intensive lamb. You might be able to get those as well? You’ll pay for them though...

Worked better than the bigger pellet - but still the pellets got damp and stuck...

I would stick with the oats if it’s working...

If using oats in the feeder, what does everyone do for minerals and vitamins that you would usually get from using a nut or a ration?

PS I’m going to mix in soya bean meal with the oats from about 3 weeks out from lambing

• Advertisement

If using oats in the feeder, what does everyone do for minerals and vitamins that you would usually get from using a nut or a ration?

PS I’m going to mix in soya bean meal with the oats from about 3 weeks out from lambing

There's so little minerals involved that you'd think they'd flow with the grain, but I'd be afraid of the minerals being corrosive when they'd gather in the troughs

Advertisement