Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Cyclist - some random thoughts.....

Options
  • 05-08-2017 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

I have just started back cycling to work which I am really enjoying.

As I cycle along certain thoughts struck me. Interested to hear if you have anything else to add to these musings.....

* Rain gear is a must
    * 20 km round trip is very doable - even for someone unfit like myself. Just get on your bike and do it.
    * For shorter journeys, going by bike is faster than by car
    * Most cyclists seem to wear a helmet
    * I wear my helmet religiously after being bad about not wearing it in the past (hated the way it flattened my hair and made my head sweaty)
    * I wish there was an advanced green light for cyclists on bike lanes - it would mean red lights wouldn't have to be broken (see attached pic of Edinburgh)
    advancedgreen.JPG
    * Car drivers seem to be conscious of the need to give cyclists space on the road
    * Car drivers should be glad so many people cycle - more bikes may mean less cars which means less traffic for drivers
    * In a few short weeks I have had one near miss where a white van came fast and close up my right side and then dangerously cut me off to take a left just a bit ahead of me. But for the fact that I was cycling at a moderate pace I would not have had the time to stop and I would have gone right in to his side. I was shaking - it all happened so fast
    * It gets easier.......every day I find it easier than the day before. I think the fitness builds up fairly quickly
    * Cycling to work is great for your mental health. I feel so relaxed as I sit at my after my cycle and I look forward to the cycle home
    * Cycling means it takes a consistent time to get to work. With the car I could be 30 mins one day and 45 mins the next, depending on traffic. No inconsistency like that with cycling
    * My big old dutch bike with crate is great for pottering town and buying groceries, etc. But for this cycle to work I may need to get something lighter and faster. I would love any suggestions!
    * There is safety in numbers - more cyclists are needed
    * I am waiting to see when schools go back if I see children cycling to school
    * No special cycling clothes are needed (except rain gear) I cycle in my work clothes (but am a woman so perhaps am not as sweaty as others might be)
    * A shower before cycling and plenty of deodorant means I am not smelly in work (I hope!) - I could use baby wipes or there is a shower in work if I needed it.......but have not needed shower yet (apols for TMI but I feel it should be mentioned)

Oh and my final thought is that I love marked cycle lanes - but I would prefer protected cycle lanes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

I cycle as a hobbie and agree with all the above benefits for health especially mental...no matter how bad it seems going for a cycle always cheers me up...and also agree that 99.9 per cent of drivers do there best to make ur life easier despite all we see and read about online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The consistency of travel times is a great point. I started commuting my 5k trip by bike nine years ago. I would often go by car or bus for the first few months. I now use bike 95% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Re your near miss with the van - every time you approach a left hand turn have a look back over your right shoulder to see is there any vehicle on the road that might cause you a problem and speed up or slow down as necessary if you need to.

Is second nature for me since I did get hit in that exact way. The van that got me was blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Re your near miss with the van - every time you approach a left hand turn have a look back over your right shoulder to see is there any vehicle on the road that might cause you a problem and speed up or slow down as necessary if you need to.

Is second nature for me since I did get hit in that exact way. The van that got me was blue.

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

I feel that this van sped up to overtake me. It was very unnerving and I felt very unsafe - even though I was not doing anything wrong.

You mentioned fancying a new bike? Does work participate in the Bike to Work Scheme?

100% Agree with consistency of travel times, thats what 'drove' me to a bike years ago , I could spend 20 minutes walking to the stop another 10-20 to wait for the bus only to have to stand stand on it fully loaded with noisy school kids for another 30-40 minutes. On the bike I was home and hosed in under 30 minutes or sometimes more if I fancied a spin and took the long way home. It was something I jumped out of bed for in summer months too , nothing like a ride on empty roads at 5:30 am. I wasn't as keen in winter but still did it as it was better than the bus option :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was doing bus and luas to work - times were consistent in the morning (albeit leaving the house at ten to seven) but a lottery in the evening. on the bike, it's consistently between 47 and 55 mins according to strava. wind and traffic light dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

* A shower before cycling and plenty of deodorant means I am not smelly in work (I hope!) - I could use baby wipes or there is a shower in work if I needed it.......but have not needed shower yet (apols for TMI but I feel it should be mentioned)
    Showering in work instead of at home is a great option if you go for a faster bike. You can build your daily exercise into your commute time, so no need to be rushing off to the gym at 7am or 8pm. Bring the car in once every couple of weeks to restock your locker.
    * My big old dutch bike with crate is great for pottering town and buying groceries, etc. But for this cycle to work I may need to get something lighter and faster. I would love any suggestions!
    Bike to Work scheme makes it fairly painless. Get close to the €1k limit to get something with good components, for reduced maintenance. If you're mostly commuting, get a commuting bike. I'm amazed at how many people buy non-commuting bikes for commuting. Something with a rack, panniers, mudguards, dynamo is a big help. I like Scott bikes.
    * Car drivers should be glad so many people cycle - more bikes may mean less cars which means less traffic for drivers
    It's amazing how few drivers get this. They should be doing everything in their power to accommodate and encourage cyclists. Instead, you get George Hook and Paul Williams inciting violence against cyclists.

You mentioned fancying a new bike? Does work participate in the Bike to Work Scheme?

Unfortunately I did the Bike to Work Scheme within the last 5 years :-(

I tried a friends Giant bike yesterday. Woah the difference! Loved it :D

Showering in work instead of at home is a great option if you go for a faster bike. You can build your daily exercise into your commute time, so no need to be rushing off to the gym at 7am or 8pm. Bring the car in once every couple of weeks to restock your locker.

You have inspired me to try showering in work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't use a car to restock my locker, i just bring a backpack with whatever fresh supplies i need. always have a full set of clothes in work, in case whatever i have on my back gets wet, so i just rotate it as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

I agree with nearly all your points I recently got a bike via Cycle to work for evenings and weekends as my work trip is approx 20km one way. It's a hybrid type bike but I realised after my first few trips, both were between 15- 20 km i was getting a pain in the a$$ or saddle sore did you experience anything similar? I hadn't been on a bike since school so it's at least 10 years. I hope i will just get used to it as i'm enjoying the freedom of the bike.

if you're going from zero to a 30-40km round trip every day, some soreness is inevitable - you'll get used to it though, your body will adapt to the new regime and it should go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I don't cycle but would love to do try it ,
    I live in north side of cork and work in airport business park so maybe 9km but it's all hills and I've no shower in work :(

i don't use a car to restock my locker, i just bring a backpack with whatever fresh supplies i need. always have a full set of clothes in work, in case whatever i have on my back gets wet, so i just rotate it as required.

I use panniers, as a backpack makes me even more sweaty. I could never find a way to get a pressed shirt through the panniers without coming out like an unpressed shirt. Tips welcome.
    I agree with nearly all your points I recently got a bike via Cycle to work for evenings and weekends as my work trip is approx 20km one way. It's a hybrid type bike but I realised after my first few trips, both were between 15- 20 km i was getting a pain in the a$$ or saddle sore did you experience anything similar?
    Did you use padded cycling shorts or leggings? They make a big difference.
    You have inspired me to try showering in work!
    Delighted for ya, give it a last and you'll never look back. Except when you're moving out in traffic - keep looking back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

wally1990 wrote: »
    I don't cycle but would love to do try it ,
    I live in north side of cork and work in airport business park so maybe 9km but it's all hills and I've no shower in work :(

I know you're not supposed to say this out loud in this forum ...but it sounds like you might want to look into getting an e-bike.

Just got one (very) recently myself. Certainly takes a lot of sweat and pain out of hills and allows a non-cyclist (like me) to get some exercise and enjoyment out of cycling again.

I use panniers, as a backpack makes me even more sweaty. I could never find a way to get a pressed shirt through the panniers without coming out like an unpressed shirt. Tips welcome.
    i don't have to worry too much about sweating, the showers in work are excellent. and a backpack was cheaper than carrier and panniers.

i'm also lucky in that i can dress casually in work, i've not worn a shirt for work in about 15 years, so never really had that issue; i half recall a GCN video about packing for a commute which included tips on dealing with shirts though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

peasant wrote: »
    I know you're not supposed to say this out loud in this forum ...but it sounds like you might want to look into getting an e-bike.

Just got one (very) recently myself. Certainly takes a lot of sweat and pain out of hills and allows a non-cyclist (like me) to get some exercise and enjoyment out of cycling again.

Defo gonna look at that ! Cheers greatly appreciative for the advice

peasant wrote: »
    actually, i think i've yet to hear anyone harsh on the concept of e-bikes here.

actually, i think i've yet to hear anyone harsh on the concept of e-bikes here.

Absolutely - and quite the reverse - most cyclists are very positive about the benefits of getting more people out on two wheels, regardless of whether they use a little motor to help or not.

The shirt packing with the magazine for support is a great idea. I'm just amazed that they completely ignored the option of a rack/pannier for commuting.

• Advertisement

RE: E-Bikes if it gets someone out on a bike who otherwise wouldn't or who might not be able to then they're great, I'd actually fancy a spin on one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Recently got an e-bike too. My commute is a 46km round trip. Couldn't be happier with it. I'm slightly over weight after an accident put me out of commission for a while, and the e-bike is really helping me get back on and stay in the saddle. I'm going to be honest, I have had some snide comments from some elitest w***ers while out on it, but it's easy to just ignore them. Especially when you breeze past them on a good incline. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

I use a small file box. They are a little bigger than A4 size and about 10cm deep. Picked it up in Tescos for about a 5er
    They will fit neatly in most pannier and keeps shirt and trousers wrinkle free.

Advertisement