Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom bracket question

Options
  • 05-08-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Felt aluminium road bike which is almost 10 years old. Presently I have ultegra 6800 components on it which I upgraded recently.

I have now bought a gxp quarq dfour powermeter bcd 110 for training. The new 6800 chainrings will work with the quarq dfour which is why I purchased but I have few other questions.

I assume I must get a compatible bottom bracket for this crankset to work? At the moment I have a SM-BBR60 bottom bracket on the bike for the ultegra crankset. Must I change this out and if so which SRAM bottom bracket is the correct one to get with the new quarq crankset I have?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

teednab-el wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a Felt aluminium road bike which is almost 10 years old. Presently I have ultegra 6800 components on it which I upgraded recently.

I have now bought a gxp quarq dfour powermeter bcd 110 for training. The new 6800 chainrings will work with the quarq dfour which is why I purchased but I have few other questions.

I assume I must get a compatible bottom bracket for this crankset to work? At the moment I have a SM-BBR60 bottom bracket on the bike for the ultegra crankset. Must I change this out and if so which SRAM bottom bracket is the correct one to get with the new quarq crankset I have?

Thanks

On their website it does mention under "Essential details" that the DFour must be paired with a compatible SRAM bottom bracket. You've a standard threaded English Bottom bracket or BSA, so you'd be looking for the SRAM GXP bottom bracket. Obviously the English version not Italian. If you end up having an issue Quarq may try to use the fact that you don't have a compatible SRAM bottom bracket as a reason not to warranty the powermeter should anything go wrong. I doubt they'd do this but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Sarz91 wrote: »
    On their website it does mention under "Essential details" that the DFour must be paired with a compatible SRAM bottom bracket. You've a standard threaded English Bottom bracket or BSA, so you'd be looking for the SRAM GXP bottom bracket. Obviously the English version not Italian. If you end up having an issue Quarq may try to use the fact that you don't have a compatible SRAM bottom bracket as a reason not to warranty the powermeter should anything go wrong. I doubt they'd do this but better safe than sorry.

Would the bottom bracket I have on at present still be compatible with the quarq or is there a sizing issue ? I haven't taken off the crankset yet to find out but I presume it doesn fit? Never thought of it until I saw the bike this morning :-(

Won't be able to get a sram gxp bottom until late next week and need to use the quarq before then.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Would the bottom bracket I have on at present still be compatible with the quarq or is there a sizing issue ? I haven't taken off the crankset yet to find out but I presume it doesn fit? Never thought of it until I saw the bike this morning :-(

Won't be able to get a sram gxp bottom until late next week and need to use the quarq before then.

Thanks

Yeah you'd be fine with your current bottom bracket. It's the same standard if you can call it that the only difference is the manufacturers name, SRAM in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Yeah you'd be fine with your current bottom bracket. It's the same standard if you can call it that the only difference is the manufacturers name, SRAM in this case.

I'm not 100% certain on this but I believe that the SRAM GPX uses a 24mm bearing on the drive side and a 22mm on the non drive side, whereas HT2 is 24mm both sides, to use a SRAM GPX crankset in a shimano BB you'd need some sort of spacer.

OP you should be able to pick up a SRAM compatible BB in any decent LBS from stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »

Cheers Eamonnstor. When choosing sizes which one am I selecting from the link you sent me?

Thanks again

Cheers Eamonnstor. When choosing sizes which one am I selecting from the link you sent me?

Thanks again

Sorry I see its 70mm choosing the English thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No.
    the 68/73 one

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No.
    the 68/73 one

When I selected the English thread it auto selected the 70mm. I ordered the 68/73 anyway and ordered the removal tool as well.

Hi guys im back to yous again with another problem with the bottom bracket.

I purchased the sram Bottom bracket and removal tool but the removal tool will not remove the existing bottom bracket on the bike as the diameter of the botton bracket is too narrow for the removal tool to grip it. I originally thought this removal tool would remove the bottom bracket on the bike.

Someone might tell me what I need to know or do next.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hi guys im back to yous again with another problem with the bottom bracket.

I purchased the sram Bottom bracket and removal tool but the removal tool will not remove the existing bottom bracket on the bike as the diameter of the botton bracket is too narrow for the removal tool to grip it. I originally thought this removal tool would remove the bottom bracket on the bike.

Someone might tell me what I need to know or do next.

Thanks

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-tl-fc24-bottom-bracket-tool-adapter/aid:644766

You need this adaptor by the sounds of it, it fits in the tool to adjust the diameter, one would have been in the box with your ultegra 6800 BB, any bike shop should have plenty spare.

nilhg wrote: »
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-tl-fc24-bottom-bracket-tool-adapter/aid:644766

You need this adaptor by the sounds of it, it fits in the tool to adjust the diameter, one would have been in the box with your ultegra 6800 BB, any bike shop should have plenty spare.

Sound for your help.

Advertisement