Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another name that plant?

Options
  • 05-08-2017 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so this is planted at the side of gates, it is massive and just keeps getting bigger. No idea when it was last trimmed back or actually what it is

Any idea? I want to more or less cut it back to the bare min and then let it grow again

Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hypericum -- you can cut it back hard and it will regrow very well. Normally done in spring I would think but depends on varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Probably Hypericum × hidcoteense 'Hidcote' to give it its correct name (it has a good few other names within horitculture).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks....

Hypericum can be pruned at almost any time of the year without harming them, they are very strong growing shrubs. However, the best time to prune them is just after they have finished flowering which is normally late July to mid August depending on where you live.

I did find the following, thank god because I took a pair of hedge clippers to it earlier today as it was driving me nuts

Advertisement