Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Quota Poll

Options
  • 05-08-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Just vote any comments are old news .zzzzzzz

Edit Again for Mod Note: The poll has been changed at the request of the OP, please be aware that any votes cast before the changes are now applied to whatever the new option is; this is unavoidable. You can probably change them yourselves if you want.

How many refugees should Ireland accept? 22 votes

Less than 4,000
    0%
    More than 4,000
    36%
    MyPeopleDrankTheSoupWibbsodyssey06Ulysses GazeAtlantic DawnYamanotoRobertKKFraR 8 votes
    None
    13%
    17larssonTom Mann CenturiaPure tashte 3 votes
    Should asylum seekers be allowed to work after one year
    36%
    barry75blarney_armyvan_beanocdebyesto24DontThankMeSSr0Ban hullaballoo 8 votes
    ...Atari Jaguar
    13%
    circadianmartingriffrgossip30 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Why are we not actually solving the housing crisis rather than using it as an excuse for refugee policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

...Atari Jaguar
    Samaris wrote: »
    Why are we not actually solving the housing crisis rather than using it as an excuse for refugee policies?

Migrants who come from the EU do have the money to buy houses so most are renting . There is a shortage of houses to rent as a result .

I...do not get your poll options. What happened to the simple various numbers options + Atari Jaguar? We should take...income tax number of refugees?

Also, what do European migrants have to do with accepting refugees who are not generally originally from the EU. X is causing an issue, how much should we punish Y to make up for it?

...Atari Jaguar
    I...do not get your poll options. What happened to the simple various numbers options + Atari Jaguar? We should take...income tax number of refugees?

Also, what do European migrants have to do with accepting refugees who are not generally originally from the EU. X is causing an issue, how much should we punish Y to make up for it?

I need to edit this but no option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Migrants who come from the EU do have the money to buy houses so most are renting . There is a shortage of houses to rent as a result .

Migrants from the EU are NOT refugees.

And neither are they the source of the housing crisis. The housing crisis has been going on for decades (before we had an influx of immigrants). It's just that some people (like yourself) have only seem to notice it now, and then blame foreigners - it really says a lot about where this thread will go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭FraR

More than 4,000
    Zero. Refugees aim to flee a particular country, not travel through numerous safe countries to get to a European country with generous welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Most confusing (and confused?) question and poll, ever!

OP, maybe outline your thinking on your question and we might get a hint as to what you're actually asking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭FraR

More than 4,000
    dotsman wrote: »

And neither are they the source of the housing crisis. The housing crisis has been going on for decades (before we had an influx of immigrants). It's just that some people (like yourself) have only seem to notice it now, and then blame foreigners - it really says a lot about where this thread will go.

So the fact that 700k plus foreigners moved to Ireland over a fifteen year period had no affect on the housing crisis?

Good one.

...Atari Jaguar

I never said EU migrants were refugees . I asked a simple question and it seems like I am on the chopping block . You have the solution which is to relax immigration rules and allow more regardless I take it .

...Atari Jaguar
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Most confusing (and confused?) question and poll, ever!

OP, maybe outline your thinking on your question and we might get a hint as to what you're actually asking?

This is the first time I tried to do a poll and cannot edit it !!! I would delete the whole lot but cannot .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Huh?

5 years ago we had too many houses.

There was houses for rent everywhere.

Fast forward the economy back on track with an increase in population and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

This is the first time I tried to do a poll and cannot edit it !!! I would delete the whole lot but cannot .

Could you make a new one and the mods might delete this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

More than 4,000
    D) 1983 Ford Cortina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

FraR wrote: »
    So the fact that 700k plus foreigners moved to Ireland over a fifteen year period had no affect on the housing crisis?

Good one.

And 1.3 MILLION Irish born people live in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

IlikeOP wrote: »
    We breed like fcuking rabbits!

Tbf rabbits are cute

...Atari Jaguar
    CeilingFly wrote: »

More Irish born should emigrate to make room .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

zero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

We've accepted tens of thousands of asylum seekers from Nigeria and Pakistan which I don't understand, if they were told to go home in the morning you'd solve the crisis in 24 hours by freeing up tens of thousands of houses. You can't keep housing an unending flow of migrants and not expect it to have an impact on the housing market, it's inorganic growth that's a destabilizing factor.

So what's your point? Most of them are in the UK, US, Canada and Oz where they have applied for visas. How that translates to owing half of Nigeria a gaff I'm unsure, perhaps you can explain it to me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Report your post and ask a mod to fix it for you in the message

• Advertisement

...Atari Jaguar
    Report your post and ask a mod to fix it for you in the message

Done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Done

Now we play the waiting game

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

conorhal wrote: »
    We've accepted tens of thousands of asylum seekers from Nigeria and Pakistan which I don't understand, if they were told to go home in the morning you'd solve the crisis in 24 hours by freeing up tens of thousands of houses. You can't keep housing an unending flow of migrants and not expect it to have an impact on the housing market, it's inorganic growth that's a destabilizing factor.

Tens of thousands? Really? Can you provide a source for that? I tried googling it but couldn't find any statistics relating to country of origin, or the numbers which I frankly just don't believe. Maybe I'm wrong though.

How many of those whom we've accepted are now working and contributing to the economy? Could we do without their contributions which will be propping up our public expenditure?

How many of those two particular nationalities you've singled out came in other than through the asylum system do you know?

It's not just about physical houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

conorhal wrote: »
    So what's your point? Most of them are in the UK, US, Canada and Oz where they have applied for visas. How that translates to owing half of Nigeria a gaff I'm unsure, perhaps you can explain it to me?
    Because there's a certain amount of uneducated scum who are inherently racist and stupid.

They don't understand that emigration works two ways.

There are Irish people in almost every country in the world, yet the racist scum that thankfully are in the minority here, have an issue.

Funny the same scum probably have family living in other countries - that's how stupid they are

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Tens of thousands? Really? Can you provide a source for that? I tried googling it but couldn't find any statistics relating to country of origin, or the numbers which I frankly just don't believe. Maybe I'm wrong though.

How many of those whom we've accepted are now working and contributing to the economy? Could we do without their contributions which will be propping up our public expenditure?

How many of those two particular nationalities you've singled out came in other than through the asylum system do you know?

It's not just about physical houses.

Google, it's not hard. It tells me that there are over 17,000 Nigerians in Ireland despite handing out visas in the hundreds and they have a 40% unemployment rate. No very productive migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

None
    FraR wrote: »
    Zero. Refugees aim to flee a particular country, not travel through numerous safe countries to get to a European country with generous welfare.

Do the refugees themselves actually get to decide? I thought it was an EU initiative, they can't keep them all in refugee camps in Greece, so the rest of the EU countries (except Hungary and a few other central European ones) decided to take in a certain amount? I don't think it's a case of migrants from the Middle East and Northern Africa thinking "Let's go to Ireland to get the dole".

As long as they are properly vetted, I think it's a good thing that Ireland is taking in 5000 refugees. A lot of young families with young children have been brought in as is, and it's not as if it's a big enough number to cause huge social or economic problems. There seems to be efforts to integrate them started, like the bus that brought the refugees from Ballaghadereen to the Mayo Roscommon match in Croke Park last weekend.

Because there's a certain amount of uneducated scum who are inherently racist and stupid.

They don't understand that emigration works two ways.

There are Irish people in almost every country in the world, yet the racist scum that thankfully are in the minority here, have an issue.

Funny the same scum probably have family living in other countries - that's how stupid they are

The only people that don't seem to understand how immigration works seem to be those that can't quite grasp what a visa application is for.

...Atari Jaguar
    Now we play the waiting game

I wonder can you block comments and just have a poll only .

Seems like people really don't get the difference between "migrants" (as a phrase relating to people moving from one country or politically controlled zone to another) and "refugees" (as in relating to people fleeing from threatening circumstances in their home country), but be that as it may, if people haven't gotten the difference over the past ten years, they probably won't now.

Mod: OP, PM me what options you want, I think I can edit the poll for you. But without direction, my instinct is to change all the options to Atari Jaguar :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The poll makes no sense......no Atari jaguar option?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement