Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is moving to Waterford in 2017 worth it?

Options
  • 05-08-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys!

I`m an expat (from EU) living in Dublin right now, however I want to move out because accomodation is just chaotic here and I want to be close to the countryside (my heart needs lots os wilderness to be at peace). I`ve done some research and read some articles about Waterford and found it an interesting place to live, the price for a single room is much cheaper than here in Dublin, it`s much closer to the countryside, etc. However, when it comes to jobs and economical situation, most articles are from at least 3 years ago.

Could you guys update me on that? Am I making the right move? What is your overall opinion about Waterford and the job market? I`ve just graduated in Agronomy and have some experience with export.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably the best approach would be to apply for jobs while you are in Dublin, rather than just heading down here and hoping for a job. I like Waterford as a place to live, though not too keen on Waterford city, the county is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

by all means move to waterford.
    dont have a heart attack after hours.the cardiac service is only mon to fri daytime.
    now there are talks of the helicopter being lost its to do with waterford airport.
    waterford dont seem to be able to hold onto anything.
    tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

coolvale wrote: »
    by all means move to waterford.
    dont have a heart attack after hours.the cardiac service is only mon to fri daytime.
    now there are talks of the helicopter being lost its to do with waterford airport.
    waterford dont seem to be able to hold onto anything.
    tony

Let the quietfella do the negative stuff you've stolen his thunder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Let the quietfella do the negative stuff you've stolen his thunder!

Thank for looking out for me Harry! Clear off CV! This is my patch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭goochy

Get your heart checked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

Thank for looking out for me Harry! Clear off CV! This is my patch!!

i did not know it was anybody's patch ??????????????????
    tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

coolvale wrote: »
    i did not know it was anybody's patch ??????????????????
    tony

All in jest Tony but it's nice to see that I'm not alone in my opinions and

thoughts in all that's been done for the betterment of our city!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mjdh1957

I'm moving to Waterford this year but then I'm retired so the job market has no impact on me.

And I love Waterford, city and county :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

vol.pato wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I`m an expat (from EU) living in Dublin right now, however I want to move out because accomodation is just chaotic here and I want to be close to the countryside (my heart needs lots os wilderness to be at peace). I`ve done some research and read some articles about Waterford and found it an interesting place to live, the price for a single room is much cheaper than here in Dublin, it`s much closer to the countryside, etc. However, when it comes to jobs and economical situation, most articles are from at least 3 years ago.

Could you guys update me on that? Am I making the right move? What is your overall opinion about Waterford and the job market? I`ve just graduated in Agronomy and have some experience with export.

Thank you!!

I think you'd be very happy here, great countryside as you said you like, easy to get to it from city/suburbs.city has come on too and has a great arts scene, good music scene, some great restaurants and pubs too.I would take on board what looksee said about looking for work before you come,I have no idea what your sector is like.however the south east is easily commutable so you aren't restricted to Waterford for employment, south tipp,wex and kk all handy spins.there is positives happening in general around city and region as a whole, maybe not as much as we'd like but some major potential things in pipe line which would boost the place further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

if you are a crab and you like living in a bucket full of other crabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think if you are retired then you will find the city and county has a lot to offer.

Advertisement