Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kettle on and empty overnight

Options
  • 05-08-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I went to fill the kettle this morning and realised it had been on since yesterday with no water in it! I didn't think it could happen....How much is that gonna cost me electricity wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

joejoe87 wrote: »
    I went to fill the kettle this morning and realised it had been on since yesterday with no water in it! I didn't think it could happen....How much is that gonna cost me electricity wise?

Are you sure it was still on? Does it still work? Check the wattage on the bottom. For every 1000 watts multiply that by the number of hours it was left on to find the number of units of electricity used.
    If a kettle is 1700 watts and is left on for 10 hours it will use 17 units of electricity so if a unit of electricity costs 30 cents then the cost would be €5.10.
    To be honest I'd be more worried about the damage done to the kettle and the cost of replacing it. Did you leave the lid open?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

aido79 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was still on? Does it still work? Check the wattage on the bottom. For every 1000 watts multiply that by the number of hours it was left on to find the number of units of electricity used.
    If a kettle is 1700 watts and is left on for 10 hours it will use 17 units of electricity so if a unit of electricity costs 30 cents then the cost would be €5.10.
    To be honest I'd be more worried about the damage done to the kettle and the cost of replacing it. Did you leave the lid open?
    True, I'd only be delighted to come down and see that if my kettle was on all night that there was no damage to anything other than the kettle!
    Chances are anyway it wasn't on all night, the element wouldn't survive and would burn out!
    Don't be worrying about the cost of electricity, be thankful nothing burnt down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is often a thermal overload cut off device on better made kettles. Usually a little red button you need to press to reset the device.

Advertisement