Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very uncomfortable on road bike - any advice?

Options
  • 05-08-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I bought a racing bike from Cycle Superstore 2 years ago - got measured up and everything - and have taken part in various fun cycling events such as Wicklow 100, Great Dublin Bike Ride, as well as going out for spins in the hills at the weekend.

I find it cripplingly uncomfortable across my back (from about the base of my shoulder blades to my neck). My posture on the road bike feels like a "stress position" which after about 60 km is barely tolerable and by 100 it is grim misery. I thought I might get used to it after a while but I haven't.

I have actually wondered whether I was maybe given the wrong bike by mistake and not the one that corresponds to my measurements. I called into the shop after a year and they shortened the distance to the handlebars for me. That maybe helped a little bit but didn't solve the problem.

Just for context, I commute over 100 km a week on a hybrid road bike with a more upright posture which I find perfectly comfortable, so it's not that I have a problem with cycling as such or general fitness.

Right now, cycling the road bike is not enjoyable for me and I am considering getting rid of it altogether and doing all my cycling (including longer cycles) on my hybrid, even though it is much heavier.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sounds like you might need a more upright position on the bike. A shorter stem, or moving the saddle forward might help, but note that moving the saddle will alter your leg position with respect to the bottom bracket.
    Does the stem have an angle to it? If the angle points down, your position will be lower. most leisure riders have the stem flipped to point upwards and give a more comfortable position.
    Does the bike fit you well in other areas? If it is too long you might be not upright enough.
    I don't know a lot about bike fitting, but these things might be a start for you to look at

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Most obvious thing is to get a bike fit and emphasise to the person doing it what your existing issue is. Outside of that some core strength exercises might help a fair bit, as will changing your position frequently while riding (i.e. move between hoods, drops and tops).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Just want to say thanks to both of you for the advice. I will look into getting a fit - they seem to be costly but might be worth it.

As far as I can tell my problem is that the bike is too long for me and that my arms are stretched and locked - also that the handlebars feel uncomfortably low relative to the saddle but that might be normal.

Good suggestion about the core strength - I wouldn't have thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your commute is much shorter than the distance you find uncomfortable, so maybe the bike isn't the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I'd be the same as yourself, in fact I never use the drops on the handlebars. I use the bar or the hoods.

I'd advise getting an adjustable stem, Decathlon sell them for €18 or so. They post to Ireland. Use this and take an Allen key with you to try to get a better position.

I also have the handlebars tilted up a bit so I can use two different positions and change around while cycling. It's not as efficient as you're not as aerodynamic but it's way more comfortable.

FWIW I've a touring bike with butterfly handlebars that give you three positions and an adjustable stem. Total dream to cycle on it all day.

EDIT: This is the stem I have... https://www.decathlon.co.uk/adjustable-bike-stem-11-8-id_8272094.html

These are the handle bars I have on the touring bike... https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6d/f3/23/6df323ace76267235db7c8b5d5141a8e.jpg

I just find changing position during the cycle helps a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sign up for Yoga classes and/or do some strength and conditioning training at the gym to strengthen your core muscles which support your weight on the bike..

Doesn't seem to be a bicycle issue to me as you've had professional bike fitting advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Where are you usually holding the bars? I'll usually try to alternate periodically from hoods, to just behind the hoods, to the flat portion of the bars, down to the droops for a bit, back to hoods etc, so not staying in any one position for too long. Whereas if I rode on the droops for most of the time I would also certainly get uncomfortable after a while.

How soon is the bad feeling kicking in, are you fine for first e.g. 30Km?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Wouldn't necessarily rule out a bike fit. Shop bike fittings are sometimes focused on ensuring bike is basically right size, rather than looking at individual on the bike , cleat position, angles of back shoulders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rtmie wrote: »
    Shop bike fittings are sometimes focused on ensuring bike is basically right size, rather than looking at individual on the bike , cleat position, angles of back shoulders etc.
    Agree. Stress on upper back/shoulders/neck is suggestive of poor fit more than poor fitness, maybe just too much reach.

May also be poor technique. "arms are stretched and locked" sounds bad. Bend at the hips and dip the elbows. Then you might have lower back problems instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

A bike Fit generally gives you what the fitter believes to be right but it is always within a range of angles.
    Until you actually go on the bike and ride it for a long time you wont know if that fit was perfect or not.
    a good bike fit will allow you to go back and retweak your fit. for a little or no fee.

I got fitted in Base2race. with a perfectly good fit, right crank lengths etc and what was felt good to me angle wise.
    however after around 60km id start getting neck and upper back pain.
    back to the lads. retweaked with an ever so slightly less aggressive angle and boom. the fit was perfect.

definitely go for a retweak. get the angle less aggressive. shorter stem and i bet you will be right as rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Dont waste money on stems, handlebars etc.
    Just save monies for fit session with good fitter and then you will be know how to fix particular issues.
    There is really no alternative to good fiting session in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I think bike fitting can work but only if you are very specific about what you need.

A friend of mine went to a well known bike fitter before he bought a bike. He was in his mid fifties at the time, slightly overweight and only ever did a bit of leisure cycling and touring.

The bike fitter set him up as if he was racing. Lots of talk about power output. He got him to change pedals to SPD SL's (from SPD's that he could happily walk in), new narrower racing saddle, new stem and new shoes)

The end result was that he had a very uncomfortable (but possibly very efficient for power) position. I think unless you are racing or trying to do serious speeds regularly then a more upright position is better especially as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think bike fitting can work but only if you are very specific about what you need.

A friend of mine went to a well known bike fitter before he bought a bike. He was in his mid fifties at the time, slightly overweight and only ever did a bit of leisure cycling and touring.

The bike fitter set him up as if he was racing. Lots of talk about power output. He got him to change pedals to SPD SL's (from SPD's that he could happily walk in), new narrower racing saddle, new stem and new shoes)

The end result was that he had a very uncomfortable (but possibly very efficient for power) position. I think unless you are racing or trying to do serious speeds regularly then a more upright position is better especially as you get older.

That`s why i said GOOD fitter.
    Good fitter will adjust your position to your body limits (flexibility etc.) and for your expectations (power output, aero gains etc.).
    What is the point to go to fitter and pay money for fiting to what? Bike, discipline...?

Wow, thanks for all the responses and great advice!
    Lumen wrote: »
    Your commute is much shorter than the distance you find uncomfortable, so maybe the bike isn't the problem.

I see your point, but I cycle 14 km to work in the morning and the same home in the evening quite comfortably and enjoyably. Last Saturday I cycled 4 km each way (that's right, four) to and from Parkrun on my road bike and was in discomfort for the rest of the afternoon.

Greybottle wrote: »
    I'd be the same as yourself, in fact I never use the drops on the handlebars. I use the bar or the hoods.

I just find changing position during the cycle helps a lot.

I took out some of your excellent advice for brevity. I do change positions a lot, trying to find a comfortable position. However only one position gives me access to brake and gear levers, and it happens to be the most stretched one!

skallywag wrote: »
    How soon is the bad feeling kicking in, are you fine for first e.g. 30Km?

No, as I said my position on the bike feels like a stress position.
    Lumen wrote: »
    May also be poor technique. "arms are stretched and locked" sounds bad. Bend at the hips and dip the elbows. Then you might have lower back problems instead :pac:

Poor technique is definitely a possibility. I'll try what you suggested and see how I get on!

sin_26 wrote: »
    Dont waste money on stems, handlebars etc.
    Just save monies for fit session with good fitter and then you will be know how to fix particular issues.
    There is really no alternative to good fiting session in my opinion.

This really seems to be the first and best advice. If I do go for a fitting session I will come back to this thread and let you all know the outcome.

Seaswimmer wrote: »

This is very like my situation (although I am not yet in my fifties and not overweight!) I don't want to be fast or competitive or aerodynamic, I just want to do a few leisure cycles or go up the Wicklow mountains on a Sunday morning and be able to enjoy it.

When I go to the fitter I will try to explain this clearly and hope he takes it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I had a fifteen minute bike fit done last summer at my local bike shop (it was a free service they offered as their guy had just been trained and wanted experience).

He focused on my upper body - shorter stem and handlebars lowered.

It didn't take me long to get used to that position and there were benefits I'd never have considered before. For instance, looking over my shoulder is now a breeze - I never realised I was having trouble doing it before. And reaching for bottles also became easier.

A proper bike fit is definitely something I want to have done myself soon. But I live in London and you need to take out a mortgage to afford one over here!

Edit: OP, I'm guessing as your neck and shoulders are the source of discomfort, that the likes of looking over your shoulder might be impeded too? A bike fit is definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wicky9

It could be something as simple as a sloping saddle. Your saddle should be level across the top. If it slopes down towards the top then you're putting lot to stress on your upper back. Use a spirit level to check it's level....that was my main issue when I started out! Once I levelled it all the pain was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Squatman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Sign up for Yoga classes and/or do some strength and conditioning training at the gym to strengthen your core muscles which support your weight on the bike..

Doesn't seem to be a bicycle issue to me as you've had professional bike fitting advice..

how would core muscles help prevent neck pain?
    OP has mentioned that he feels stretched out reaching the handlebars and arms are locked out. could be he needs yoga / or he needs shorter stem / or maybe its the fairy forts..

OP did you interfere with fairy forts ever? if you did its probably just bad luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Squatman wrote: »

maybe its the fairy forts..

OP did you interfere with fairy forts ever? if you did its probably just bad luck!

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I used one of those city bikes this morning as my usual commuter is in the shop. Couldn't believe how weird it felt. My arms were stretched out almost fully. Wouldn't have liked to go any long distance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bjorn Turun

One of the most common issues with positioning I have seen (which contributes to back pain) is saddles too far back. There is a tendency for them to move if they are not tight enough. Have a look at your saddle and check if it has moved back to the limit of its travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Could you try commuting on your road bike? You are cycling all week in one position and then trying to do 60-100km in another at the weekend

Following the advice in this thread, I booked a session with Aidan Hammond (bikefit.ie). It cost €130 which is a lot but I was delighted with the results. Last weekend I did a 90 km cycle with much less discomfort than before.

The fitting session was extremely comprehensive. After a short discussion to get to know my cycling habits and the nature of my problem, as well as any specific injuries, Aidan took various measurements of my body and also measured my suppleness and range of movement. He was able to confirm that the bike was correctly sized for me, which was a relief. He looked at every little detail down to the adjustment of my cleats.

The main diagnostic I remember was that he put the bike up on rollers and took video of me from the side and from the rear as I pedalled. He was then able to analyse the video on a computer system and measure various angles (elbow, knee, etc.) and identify where they were outside the acceptable range. Apparently I have long legs and a short torso, which is a common cause of poor fitting.

He then made a number of quite small adjustments (seat height, seat front-rear position, handlebar height) which had the effect of bringing the angles into the correct range. The adjustments were only millimetres in some cases but enough to make the difference.

Aidan also prescribed exercises for me that I'm ashamed to say I haven't got around to doing.

I'm sure there were many other aspects that I'm forgetting but all in all it worked out well for me and I would recommend a professional fitting consultation to anyone experiencing the kind of difficulties I was having.

Advertisement