Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are apprentices entitled to redundancy

Options
  • 05-08-2017 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm a newly qualified spark but my company let's me go for a month so am I entitled to redundancy or is this a loophole of some sort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

"If you are an apprentice, the same rules apply to you and you may qualify for redundancy payment unless you are dismissed within one month after the end of your apprenticeship.

Agency employees are also protected under redundancy legislation. If the employment agency pays the wages, it is responsible for paying the statutory redundancy payment."

This is the loophole I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's not unusual for apprentices to be let go at the end of their time. Usually the company then takes on a new apprentice.

From an experience point of view it's probably better to just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

It's not unusual for apprentices to be let go at the end of their time. Usually the company then takes on a new apprentice.

From an experience point of view it's probably better to just move on.

Ok thanks brightspark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

mark085 wrote:
    I'm a newly qualified spark but my company let's me go for a month so am I entitled to redundancy or is this a loophole of some sort?

It's called breaking your time. I'm pretty sure it's so you're not entitled to redundancy for the 4 years of your apprenticeship should they need to let you go in future. It's not uncommon for a company to let someone go only to take them back on a week later. Iv heard of it happen many a time so I'm guessing they're well within their rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

dbagman wrote: »
    It's called breaking your time. I'm pretty sure it's so you're not entitled to redundancy for the 4 years of your apprenticeship should they need to let you go in future. It's not uncommon for a company to let someone go only to take them back on a week later. Iv heard of it happen many a time so I'm guessing they're well within their rights.
    ye thats correct
    you are basically on a 4yr contract for your apprenticeship
    well within rights to let you go and break service on qualification
    vast majority of places do it - if kept on the 4 years is added to your service
    It used to be done over a weekend ie let go on fri and restart on mon but now there is minimum period before they are allowed take you back

Advertisement