Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to extend wifi.

Options
  • 05-08-2017 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be honest I've no idea what to buy.

I have a wifi router and there is no signal in the back of the house.

What's the best product to buy to help me?

I've seen these Netgear wifi extenders that are like two plugs that plug into an electrical wall socket but I've no idea which ones to buy or if these are even the right thing.

Just looking to use my phone and tablet in the bedroom.

I'm clueless and I'm lost on google so I came here for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Powerline (homeplug) adapters which include a wifi option should help in your situation.

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-internet-extender-av-600mbps-powerline-wi-fi-kit/1379110155.prd

Note that the speeds you will get will be very much reduced from that directly from your router, but may be sufficient for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I repurposed a redundant router to be an access point to extend WiFi to a dead spot. (happened to have access to a BT Hub3 that was no longer needed elsewhere).

I followed the instructions on this link:
    https://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Note, it will need to be hard-wired with an ethernet cable back to the original router, which may not be suitable to your needs. In which case, homeplugs may be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you have wifi and presumably wired internet at access point in front of the house. You have bad/no signal at back of house.

usually there is a good reason for this, like the walls are too thick, your house is huge, or a neighbour is also on the same wifi channel & there is lots of 'noise'. you have omitted this information - and you made a diagnosis that you need to extend the range of the wifi using a new device.

Usually before id do this i would recommend you see if you use something like wifi analyser (free app) to find out what channels are quiet and what one are busy - and look at changing the channel of your wifi device. (why- because it costs nothing to try)

Next id ask can the wifi modem be moved to another point in the house more central perhaps? Again it might be easy if you have another phone point, or cat5 port etc. depends on your circumstance.

Finally if neither of the above works you can use a wifi extender etc.

The Passthrough Powerline Adapter type kit you mentioned can be useful ,. but may not be the ideal solution in your case as at the end you have a cat 5 network cable but not a stronger wireless signal in your bedroom.

It would be great for ps4 or smart tv etc. but for wireless you would also need to connect to a spare wireless router in the bedroom; creating a 2nd wireless network in your house.

what id suspect you could use is something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725Y1VZ7?psc=1

basically you pair it with your wifi router, then move this device closer to your bedroom, (or into your bedroom if signal reaches). no technical setup. this extends your original wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

Correct. No signal at the back of the house.

My house is small but the walls are quite thick and all solid concrete.

My wifi channel seems to be very busy with my surronding neighbours wifi.

I'll try to change my channel before I buy anything.

Only one phone internet point in the house.

Looks good. I'll give this a go if channel changing doesn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Kapustina

maybe there are many users on your router so you have bad connection? For example when there are many visitors in my kafe who always download something and communicate by skype with their friends the connection is becaming really bad. BTW skype always consume a lot of trafic. I do not use skype more them 3 months because there were some problems with connecting and loading. As an alternative I've found this service keku.com Really good add for my iPhone/ The communicating between keku-members is free and the payment for calling abroad, for instance Nigeria, is really cheap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement