Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General bottom bracket question w/ interest to SRAM users

Options
  • 05-08-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

How often do you change your bottom bracket? Mine seems to barely last the year before it develops some kind of click which cannot be resolved by removing and regreasing. I'm not sure if it's prematurely breaking or if that's par for the course. It's becoming very annoying..

Do you have similar problems? Is it a shortcoming of the SRAM GXP bottom bracket*? Am I failing to properly care for my bike? How often do you remove your crankset to regrease your bottom bracket?

*This is the one I use: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sram-alloy-gxp-bottom-bracket/rp-prod55194

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That's the one, I use on one of my bikes, my winter bike.
    The one, that's on the bike now, has been on it since last September (about 10,000kms) and it's perfect.(hex). The previous two, that I had lasted me about far far less than that.
    I remove crankset about 3 or 4 times a year for maintenance.
    I don't know, whether or not there's a problem with this BB.
    Maybe just dumb luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's the one, I use on one of my bikes, my winter bike.
    The one, that's on the bike now, has been on it since last September (about 10,000kms) and it's perfect.(hex). The previous two, that I had lasted me about far far less than that.
    I remove crankset about 3 or 4 times a year for maintenance.
    I don't know, whether or not there's a problem with this BB.
    Maybe just dumb luck.

So you remove it 3-4 times a year and you still get less than a year out of it?

Does it happen with any other bikes you might have with Campag or Shimano groupsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    So you remove it 3-4 times a year and you still get less than a year out of it?

Does it happen with any other bikes you might have with Campag or Shimano groupsets?

I have a press fit BB on my "good" bike, also Sram.
    It's been there two and a half years. Still perfect, not as many miles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Just bought a bike (second hand) that uses this BB. Apparently they are renowned for being creaky. Mine creaks on climbs (especially early on on a ride) but I'm resisting replacing it for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sram gxp bb are famous for being creaky and a bit fragile. The ceramic version is even worse and you would do well to get 1500km out of the ceramic one on Irish roads/weather (Maybe double with the normal model) that was my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

I have similar problem with my only bike - a Boardman CX. It comes with press fit bottom bracket (FSA PF30) and it started creaking horribly after just one ride in the rain. Replaced it some 500 kms ago and now the creak is back after another wet ride. I am not sure what to do next - no point replacing it with another PF30.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

positron wrote: »
    I have similar problem with my only bike - a Boardman CX. It comes with press fit bottom bracket (FSA PF30) and it started creaking horribly after just one ride in the rain. Replaced it some 500 kms ago and now the creak is back after another wet ride. I am not sure what to do next - no point replacing it with another PF30.

Assuming they're SRAM components?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Yes, rest of the parts are SRAM Apex.

PS: Found specs online:
    Details
    Frame:Triple-butted alloy with full carbon fork
    Gears: SRAM Apex 10-speed, with Microshift R74 f/mech, 11-32 cassette
    Chainset: FSA Gossamer compact 50/34 Brakes:Avid BB5 discs
    Wheels: Mavic XM319 rims, alloy hubs
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob
    Bar and stem: Boardman E4P
    Saddle: Boardman E4P cro-mo rails