Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Recruiters

• 05-08-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Recently visited some recruiters in Dublin looking for an accountancy role

Never a great experience but in my opinion for anyone looking for accountancy roles do not use FK International or Executive Connections as they are awful.
    Both are not friendly and not helpful and also put up fake job specifications

Any recommendations would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Barden by a million miles. I didn't get a job off them or anything, but I met Ed Heffernan a few times in different capacities. I met him with my boss and my boss has hired over 150 people and led different organisations at senior levels. He ranks this guy amongst the most impressive people he has ever ever met in terms of the man's grasp on helping organisations and candidates. Excellent business mind. Extremely, extremely sharp guy, as are his colleagues. Sincere, likeable, down to earth, and highly competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Recently visited some recruiters in Dublin looking for an accountancy role

Never a great experience but in my opinion for anyone looking for accountancy roles do not use FK International or Executive Connections as they are awful.
    Both are not friendly and not helpful and also put up fake job specifications

Any recommendations would be great, thanks

I think it's all very subjective as I've always found Executive Connections excellent. They've placed me in different roles on three occasions with big named firms. I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sowdublin

I found CPL and Hays to be good. But again it depends on the recruiters not much the firm itself. I have had vastly different experiences from two recruiters in CPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

myshirt wrote: »
    Barden by a million miles. I didn't get a job off them or anything, but I met Ed Heffernan a few times in different capacities. I met him with my boss and my boss has hired over 150 people and led different organisations at senior levels. He ranks this guy amongst the most impressive people he has ever ever met in terms of the man's grasp on helping organisations and candidates. Excellent business mind. Extremely, extremely sharp guy, as are his colleagues. Sincere, likeable, down to earth, and highly competent.

I met with Ed recently based on this recommendation and I have to say the experience was rubbish. He put me onto his colleague who only met me for 20 minutes and already had a list of potential firms drafted prior to meeting me. The list was almost completely unsuitable and did not fit my needs - needs which were described in detail to both parties. The list also included some "additional insights" which were of no use and littered with typos, a further testament to the time dedicated by Barden to my search.

I queried this with Ed and got nothing back only waffle while also patronising me by telling me we were a long way from an offer - as of that wasn't obvious. I also had a call with her and struggled to get a straight answer from her. At this point I gave up.

Overall a very poor experience and one I would have been embarrassed to ask a future employer to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Barden Ireland

Paddy001 - I was really disappointed to read your comment. I genuinely felt that we had a very good face to face meeting and that your experience with me (Ed Heffernan) was not rubbish. If you felt that way then I can only apologize - albeit still being a little confused. Following our meeting I briefed Heather in detail about what we discussed and she then met you again in person (rather than just a call) to follow up. I have had the pleasure of hiring and training 100's of recruitment consultants over the years and Heather is easily in the top 5%. It again confuses me that you would have had such a negative experience with Heather - it just does not tally with what I hear about her consistently from other people. I am unsure as to where we wrong here for you Paddy001 and I just wish you had picked up the phone to me rather than posting on this thread. You have my mobile number so please do call me any time. I genuinely hope that you have a better experience with other recruiters out there Paddy001 - you have great experience and will bring a lot to the right company. Take care and hopefully our paths will cross again under better circumstances. Ed

PS - @myshirt - thanks for the thumbs up - it's hugely appreciated and we're our very best to live up to your kind comments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

Paddy001 - I was really disappointed to read your comment. I genuinely felt that we had a very good face to face meeting and that your experience with me (Ed Heffernan) was not rubbish. If you felt that way then I can only apologize - albeit still being a little confused. Following our meeting I briefed Heather in detail about what we discussed and she then met you again in person (rather than just a call) to follow up. I have had the pleasure of hiring and training 100's of recruitment consultants over the years and Heather is easily in the top 5%. It again confuses me that you would have had such a negative experience with Heather - it just does not tally with what I hear about her consistently from other people. I am unsure as to where we wrong here for you Paddy001 and I just wish you had picked up the phone to me rather than posting on this thread. You have my mobile number so please do call me any time. I genuinely hope that you have a better experience with other recruiters out there Paddy001 - you have great experience and will bring a lot to the right company. Take care and hopefully our paths will cross again under better circumstances. Ed

PS - @myshirt - thanks for the thumbs up - it's hugely appreciated and we're our very best to live up to your kind comments!

I too had a very poor experience with barden. I met with Ed twice, once initially when the business started and I was fobbed off back to Morgan mckinlay, where he previously worked. I have had meetings with the girl from Limerick and Mr Murphy previously and these meetings came to absolutely nothing. I was so disappointed, I was promised alot but the barden team left alot to be desired. I heard great things but my phone calls and emails were never responded to. Instead the barden team should have been honest informing me that either they had nothing suitable. Instead I was left high and dry, no follow up, no emails or courtesy. I thought barden were a really good agency, I guess you pay peanuts and you get monkey nuts. By the way Ed you have my contact details if you do want to follow up, I look forward to hearing from you.

Paddy001 wrote: »
    I met with Ed recently based on this recommendation and I have to say the experience was rubbish. He put me onto his colleague who only met me for 20 minutes and already had a list of potential firms drafted prior to meeting me. The list was almost completely unsuitable and did not fit my needs - needs which were described in detail to both parties. The list also included some "additional insights" which were of no use and littered with typos, a further testament to the time dedicated by Barden to my search.

I queried this with Ed and got nothing back only waffle while also patronising me by telling me we were a long way from an offer - as of that wasn't obvious. I also had a call with her and struggled to get a straight answer from her. At this point I gave up.

Overall a very poor experience and one I would have been embarrassed to ask a future employer to pay for.
    I agree with this 100%. Left alot to be desired !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I've used Barden from both sides (looking for a job and hiring someone). Found them very good for hiring someone but not as good for looking for a job. I think in fairness to them the majority of their jobs are at the part-qualified or newly qualified roles so I don't think they had many jobs at the senior level I was looking at.

Overall in terms of Dublin recruiters I think there is very few you could recommend. One (Brightwater) applied for a job for me so I send them a word version of my CV. They "formatted" it so it ended up going from a neat 3 pages to 10 pages and submitted that to the company. Needless to say I wasn't called for that interview.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I've used Barden from both sides (looking for a job and hiring someone). Found them very good for hiring someone but not as good for looking for a job. I think in fairness to them the majority of their jobs are at the part-qualified or newly qualified roles so I don't think they had many jobs at the senior level I was looking at.

Overall in terms of Dublin recruiters I think there is very few you could recommend. One (Brightwater) applied for a job for me so I send them a word version of my CV. They "formatted" it so it ended up going from a neat 3 pages to 10 pages and submitted that to the company. Needless to say I wasn't called for that interview.

I guess that says it all really !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I’m currently looking for a new role. I put my Cv up on Monster and let recruiters come to me. I’ve had quite a lot of interest from agencies but three particular people from smaller agencies (two of which I never heard of previously) seem to have taken a keen interest in getting me a role.

I’ve dealt with all the agencies mentioned here throughout my 15 years as an accountant. I fully subscribe to the idea that a candidate should judge the recruiter themselves rather than the agency. Like any industry you get good people and bad people.

I’m currently dealing with one particular recruiter. Having checked out their experience on LinkedIn it’s clear she’s fairly new to the role but so far has gotten me two 1st round interviews lined up for next week. We first met 10 days ago. It’s my 2nd time a recruiter from this agency approached me about roles. The 1st time this agency approached me the person involved didn’t bother to ask to meet and there was no follow up on roles.

I see from previous posts above that Barden were mentioned and they have indeed responded. Well my recent experience with them was mixed. I’m connected with one of their recruiters on LinkedIn from her time with a previous recruiter. Although she never got me a position I was very impressed with her - like her attitude, quick to come back and offered helpful advice/feedback. I contacted her again (she is now with Barden) about some roles she posted on LinkedIn. However these roles were not suitable for me given travel requirements. She did say that she passed my details on to one her colleagues who would be in touch. Anyway, there was no follow up from this colleague so I emailed the person directly but never got a response

For what it’s worth I’ve found Monster be the best of way letting recruiters find me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement