Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for "strawman"

Options
  • 06-08-2017 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I was instructed to stop using "strawman arguments" in a thread in which the mod in question was heavily involved in. I was later carded by this mod for further use of "strawman."

I messaged the mod and said that while the first post was questionable, there was nothing wrong with the second one as I don't feel I misinterpreted the original post in my reply. I also said that strawman arguments were being used on me throughout the thread. The mod said report any such posts and so I did, and was scolded by a different mod for spamming the report button as strawman isn't against the charter!

I feel it's unfair modding, and while I've no problem with mods partaking in discussion I feel it's fishy that I would be carded for this ( I had exchanges with the mod in this thread before regarding the topic) and people in the thread on the other side of the fence were getting away with the exact same thing.

It was the recent thread on clamping in after hours.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can look at this for you. Could you forward or post here your pm exchange with the mod where you attempted to resolve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

Nervous Wreck
    Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:06
    Dear jebus28,

You have been warned for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

Nervous Wreck

Moderator Note

Enough strawman arguments. Last warning.

Your post:Quote: jebus28
    Quote: Omackeral
    And you do realise that motoring laws and bye-laws apply to you whether you're 18 or 80, yeah?

Yawn. You never acknowledged that you wrongly accused me of being on the dole because I am against clamping.

Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:18
    Hi jebus28,

Strawman arguments are not against the charter. Please stop spamming the report button unless it's for a good reason.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay. Although my tone could have been better in the post I was carded for, he did draw a correlation between being on social welfare and objecting to clamping.

"they actually work for a living, unlike the hordes that do nothing but are perpetually the victim of the government/bankers/gardai and now, it seems, the evil clampers."

"And now it seems the evil clampers." That reads like my objection to clamping is evidence of someone on social welfare objecting to clamping. It's not unreasonable to think he suspected I was on the dole. Therefore it's not strawman to question that.

Regardless of all that, I was the only one carded for use of strawman in a thread riddled with it, by a mod that was engaged in direct debate with me on the topic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok thanks.
    I don't see any attempt here to resolve the issue with the relevant moderator as per step 1 in the resolution process.
    Please do this now and let me know the result.

• Advertisement

Nervous Wreck
    Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:09
    Yes, I am absolutely for real

Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:19
    If you have a problem with other posts, report them

Nervous Wreck
    Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:21
    Nope. Your warning was for ignoring mod instructions

Nervous Wreck
    Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:30
    You were doing something that was bringing down the quality of the thread and purposely putting up strawman arguments. I deem this inappropriate behaviour and instructed you to stop. You continued, hence warning.

Feel free to read up on the site rules, paying attention to the section on Moderator Discretion:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_civil

I won't be removing the warning.

Date: 04/08/2017 | 14:34
    If you're already engaging with Strawline about it, keep that line of communication open. If he and others agree with you, they'll overturn it. But since you think I'm biased, I'm gonna stay out of it entirely

*SkylineHead had messaged me to stop using the report button to report strawman arguments*

He never responded when I tried to resolve the situation with him.

Any progress with this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement