Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure Me

• 06-08-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Everyone, I'm new to all this I have had a look to see if I could find anything similar to my query but I cant.

I started a course a few weeks ago to help me in my current role, I applied to my employer to for study support which is offered and the course I wanted to do would really help me to train my team to ensure we reach our goals, the course was starting so I paid a deposit and hoped that my employer would approve my study support, long story short they denied my study support but offered to loan me the money interest free, I didn't have the cash to pay the course so i said I was disappointed but felt like i had no choice but to take the loan. I took the loan but so far havent touched that money as I was offered an amazing new job with a new company which is a really good opportunity for me and one that my current organisation will not be able to match so I have decided to take the new role only problem is they dont yet know if they will be able to give me the specified day off to attend the part time course that I'm doing. The course I started is not directly relevant to the new role I have taken and it feels pointless now considering my career seems to be going in another direction.

The course just finished its 5 week this week out of 18 weeks and the total cost is over €2000. I tried to speak with the college to try to see if I could get any type of accreditation for the work I have done so far and I explained that I may not be able to commit to the day I have been doing but maybe I could defer and do the rest later in the year or next year but with this new role looming I'm not sure I will be able to, what should I do? I understand I will have to pay back my old employer in full for the loan which they will deduct from my salary but what will i do regarding the course? When I kind of touched on the subject of what was I liable to pay if I left I got the impression I'm still liable to pay the entire course fee which I understand but at the same time I feel is a little unfair. I have paid nearly 1/3 of the total fee already and I dont wanna leave the college stuck but I really dont think I will be able to complete the 18 week course. It all happened so fast. Do you think there is anything I can do?

Thank you for your help in advance, feeling totally stressed with changing jobs and this financial worries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I worked for a college, you need to check the terms and conditions when you signed up to do the course. Should be available on their website. The college I worked for were strict. If you started the course and decided after one day that it wasn't for you, you were liable for the full fee. Students were rarely given refunds or had fees waived. So check what the terms and conditions say and you can try explain your situation but if it's anything like the college I worked in, you'll be told no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You're 5 weeks into the course now. At this stage they can't give your place to someone else. They shouldn't lose revenue because you took a place on the course that someone else could have taken and then left. You need to pay the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnsureMe123

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    I worked for a college, you need to check the terms and conditions when you signed up to do the course. Should be available on their website. The college I worked for were strict. If you started the course and decided after one day that it wasn't for you, you were liable for the full fee. Students were rarely given refunds or had fees waived. So check what the terms and conditions say and you can try explain your situation but if it's anything like the college I worked in, you'll be told no.

Thanks for your reply, I don't want any money back or anything and I'm willing to pay how ever much is needed for what I have done so far. I have paid for some equipment that I haven't received yet but I don't want the money back for that I just wasn't sure if I'm still liable for the full amount considering my circumstances have changed, there is still plenty of space on the course another girl just joined last week.

GarIT wrote: »
    You're 5 weeks into the course now. At this stage they can't give your place to someone else. They shouldn't lose revenue because you took a place on the course that someone else could have taken and then left. You need to pay the full amount.

Thank you for the reply, I totally understand, there is plenty of space left on the course a girl just joined last week. I just wondered because my circumstances changed. I'm willing to pay for what I have done and any money they may be out but I can't commit to finishing the course due to this new job. Thank your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thank you for the reply, I totally understand, there is plenty of space left on the course a girl just joined last week. I just wondered because my circumstances changed. I'm willing to pay for what I have done and any money they may be out but I can't commit to finishing the course due to this new job. Thank your help.

Hi....

5 weeks into 18 and somebody can just slot in? strange!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Check the t&c's but it's likely you'll have to pay for the full course, it's not really fair they lose out because of your life choices.
    Go and talk to someone and see is there anything they can do to help you but they aren't under any obligation to do anything when you change your mind unfortunately.

Hi....

5 weeks into 18 and somebody can just slot in? strange!

I'm not sure how it will work for her but she just started with us.

Check the t&c's but it's likely you'll have to pay for the full course, it's not really fair they lose out because of your life choices.
    Go and talk to someone and see is there anything they can do to help you but they aren't under any obligation to do anything when you change your mind unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply, yeah I will talk to them and hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement. I didn't change my mind I still like the course my new role won't allow me to commit to the day that this course is on unfortunately for me. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your reply, yeah I will talk to them and hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement. I didn't change my mind I still like the course my new role won't allow me to commit to the day that this course is on unfortunately for me. Thanks for your help.

I didn't mean change of mind in a mean way, sorry. Unforseen circumstances would have been a better way to word it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't mean change of mind in a mean way, sorry. Unforseen circumstances would have been a better way to word it.

True, but legally, from a Consumer Issue point of view, it still constitutes a change of mind.

• Advertisement

True, but legally, from a Consumer Issue point of view, it still constitutes a change of mind.

Yes of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I get that your circumstances have changed but in the eyes of the college, that's not their problem. They are a business after all, and in my 2 years as an employee, we had students come to us on a daily basis dropping out for whatever reason, hence why the terms and conditions were so strict. They would be out of business fairly quick if they were to waive fees like that. You could probably do a payment plan, and pay an amount monthly by instalments, that's how it worked where I was. It is unfortunate how things played out but you are most likely still liable for the fee regardless.

No no not at all, don't worry! Thanks for all your help! The situation just has me completely stressed now, I hope we can sort something out. Couldn't sleep last night thinking of it.

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    I get that your circumstances have changed but in the eyes of the college, that's not their problem. They are a business after all, and in my 2 years as an employee, we had students come to us on a daily basis dropping out for whatever reason, hence why the terms and conditions were so strict. They would be out of business fairly quick if they were to waive fees like that. You could probably do a payment plan, and pay an amount monthly by instalments, that's how it worked where I was. It is unfortunate how things played out but you are most likely still liable for the fee regardless.

Thank you for your reply, I understand what your saying, I just hope there is some flexibility on there part. I hope we can work something out, i.e. I pay whatever is needed so they aren't out of pocket I just hope they understand my part too, I would love to finish but I just can't. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just go and talk to them. See if they can suggest anything - possibly get credit for another course? No harm in having chat.

I did an evening course some years back that said 'no refunds, no transfers', but they offered to refund me anyway. In the end, I opted to transfer to a different course which was ok too. Just talk to them, be polite and reasonable as I am sure you will be, and see what happens.

And congratulations on the new job!

Diziet wrote: »
    Just go and talk to them. See if they can suggest anything - possibly get credit for another course? No harm in having chat.

I did an evening course some years back that said 'no refunds, no transfers', but they offered to refund me anyway. In the end, I opted to transfer to a different course which was ok too. Just talk to them, be polite and reasonable as I am sure you will be, and see what happens.

And congratulations on the new job!

Thank you for the reply and advice! I think that is the best approach, I don't want anyone to be stuck or feel hard done by, I'm gonna try my best to sort it out by talking with them. Just had a lot going on with trying to tie loose ends with my old job and preparing myself for the new one.

Thanks again for your advice!

Advertisement