Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a support group please

• 06-08-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello and thanks for reading.

Spouse of someone with severe anxiety.

Have been coping quite well with things for the past 7 years, however, I have nobody to speak to about the struggles.

Of late the situation has been getting me down. The realisation that because of this condition, it's not likely that we will ever have a peaceful life is beginning to dawn on me and it just makes me really really sad. (I nearly feel as if I'm beginning to develop anxiety myself)

I have engaged in one-to-one therapy before. It was both nice and productive. However, I need something different now - I feel. Right now, it's more of an overwhelming urge to rant, but really what I want is something like a support group, something almost informal, like a coffee and chat evening or a meetup group.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists in the Dublin area?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Another day

Look at the Aware website. They have regular meetings that anyone can attend. Also they provide support for families of people with depression and anxiety including free lectures in St Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Look after your own mental health. I have a family friend whose husband has anxiety and she's the one who ended up in st pats as he has developed an obsession with bridge and goes every night. As she doesn't drive she became more and more isolated and more and more anxious herself.

In terms of a group, it's not a formal thing but my mam wanted to lose a bit of weight. She's not a joiner but went to Weightwatchers. Now she keeps putting on and losing the same pound every week but she keeps going as she met 3 ladies at it and goes for lunch after the meeting each week ( which kind of negates the weight bit) with them. It's two hours that they basically drink endless tea and sort out the world. One of the women is divorced, one widowed, two married but my mam says it gives her headspace. They even have a little bell to call out moaning or whinging. And a fine box. It was the local hairdresser who came up with the idea as she said she got sick of hearing problems and so decided to do something more structured hence pitched it at Weight watchers.

I did ask my mother why she didn't volunteer as she's well up in citizen's advice etc. But her answer was this is her time, and in doing this informal group means she can leave her and their problems at the door .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Look at the Aware website. They have regular meetings that anyone can attend. Also they provide support for families of people with depression and anxiety including free lectures in St Pats.

+1. This sounds like a great start point, OP.

https://www.aware.ie/services/

All the best.

Advertisement