Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

While this does seem like a negative approach, anything being built / financed will be in writing to protect both of us, not just one of us.
    Not negative towards you, just have seen people on here looking for advice after a split when a house was involved, but no marriage.

You'll probably need separate lawyers to ensure no conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the_syco wrote: »
    Not negative towards you, just have seen people on here looking for advice after a split when a house was involved, but no marriage.

probably be cheaper to just get married :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭madethisup2017

Cyrus wrote: »
    probably be cheaper to just get married :P

Did my girlfriend tell you to say that?

the_syco wrote: »

It's a sensible point and one that would be followed to protect both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think you are over complicating things and increasing the chances of things going wrong
    I think you should buy once, if you know for sure what you want then just do it once
    I think your initial post is confusing because you say that ideally you guys would like to stay in Dublin longterm but then later you say you want to go to the country side

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    I think you are over complicating things and increasing the chances of things going wrong
    I think you should buy once, if you know for sure what you want then just do it once
    I think your initial post is confusing because you say that ideally you guys would like to stay in Dublin longterm but then later you say you want to go to the country side

Ideally we would live in Dublin if we could have the same house we could build at home for the same price. Realistically we will be building at home.

We want to move down home but we need to be in Dublin for the next 5 years, maybe 7, depending on how we can swing things. This isn't optional. With that in mind I would be paying well over 100k in rent here, that's my reasoning for purchasing somewhere for now. Pretty much buy a place that I am happy to live in that won't lose 100k in value in the next 5 years.

Ideally we would live in Dublin if we could have the same house we could build at home for the same price. Realistically we will be building at home.

that is obviously not possible though, also you don't have a requirement for a large house if its just two. So comparing the same house you could have on a greenfield site in the country versus what you can buy in Dublin for the same money isnt a sensible or fair comparison.

so im assuming, when you have weighed everything up proximity to amenities and better career prospects loses out to proximity to family, larger property and lower borrowings (but in all likelihood materially lower incomes as well)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd go full on. Buy where you like and get a large mortgage in a good area that you like close to the DART line to alleviate the commute.

I know you don't want to, but we're not in the same situation as we were during the tiger. And that tiger hangover has a lot of people threading carefully.

- We don't have hysterical, grabby situation with people on regular wages buying second, third and fourth properties.

- There is a shortage of housing in Dublin that's not going to be sorted any time soon.

- You're in a fantastic, enviable financial position. You're both obviously rock steady with no debts or loans.

- There's a huge chance you're familial plans will change. (realistically)

- You're not party animals and don't seem to spend on booze and social frivolities, betting, gambling or bling ego spends.

- You seem to be involved locally in community sports.

I'm speaking from experience. Three times I was told I was nuts/overstretching myself to buy where I wanted to live. Three times it worked out very well. The people that told me I was nuts were reluctant to stretch and are stuck in limbo in places they don't really want to live.

Best of luck with your decision.

I disagree, I'd advise anyone to get away from Dublin and build themselves a proper house near family with space, no strange neighbours, no traffic or noise and just a much more comfortable and relaxed life. A nice relaxing traffic free commute to work is another bonus.
    Unless you build a one-off in Leitrim or a similar location, a house in the Irish countryside will be exposed to noise and strange neighbours. Often more noise than a house estate. the irish rural landscape is packed with houses.

that is obviously not possible though, also you don't have a requirement for a large house if its just two. So comparing the same house you could have on a greenfield site in the country versus what you can buy in Dublin for the same money isnt a sensible or fair comparison.

so im assuming, when you have weighed everything up proximity to amenities and better career prospects loses out to proximity to family, larger property and lower borrowings (but in all likelihood materially lower incomes as well)?

I won't be building a large house, it will be a house designed to how we want it to be. I said in an ideal wold we would have that, but I know we won't so I'm not looking for it.

Building down at home is not anything I have second thoughts on, it's happening and we are happy with that decision. The purchase of a property here for the intervening 5-7 years is all I was enquiring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

No idea why the op has asked all this. He's very condescending and has made up his mind, and is talking himself and anyone else round to his opinion.

• Advertisement

robp wrote: »
    Unless you build a one-off in Leitrim or a similar location, a house in the Irish countryside will be exposed to noise and strange neighbours. Often more noise than a house estate. the irish rural landscape is packed with houses.

All the land around the site we'd be building on is owned by her family and will not be used for building on nor will it be sold so we don't have the issue of noisy neighbours anywhere within about at least 500metres surrounding the house.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    No idea why the op has asked all this. He's very condescending and has made up his mind, and is talking himself and anyone else round to his opinion.

Again, most people are questioning my decision to purchase a property outside of Dublin in years down the line. I have not asked for an opinion on that, my question was based on any issues why I shouldn't buy an apartment / house in Dublin for 200-250k between now and when I leave.

When people have given advice on that I have taken note of it and also given my own view on it and why I was thinking of buying here.

Again, I WILL leave Dublin and I WILL build a house down the country. I'm not seeking advice on that.

Again, most people are questioning my decision to purchase a property outside of Dublin in years down the line. I have not asked for an opinion on that, my question was based on any issues why I shouldn't buy an apartment / house in Dublin for 200-250k between now and when I leave.

When people have given advice on that I have taken note of it and also given my own view on it and why I was thinking of buying here.

Again, I WILL leave Dublin and I WILL build a house down the country. I'm not seeking advice on that.

No problem but you must understand why people are giving an opinion on you leaving Dublin it's all linked.

For now you are definitely leaving Dublin and definitely building a house at home , in 5-10 years time. I had also made that decision but my time frame was much shorter and I still reversed that decision and haven't regretted it once. The likelihood of your plans changing is probably greater given the time scales .

Anyway to your original question , I personally think property will be relatively stable for the next decade as an investment, I'd be surprised if you didn't have capital appreciation. On that basis if you can find something for what you want to spend , somewhere you will be happy living for 5-10 years then go for it , you should save a lot and hopefully get some capital gain as well.

But don't buy somewhere just to save the rent if the location isn't right life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Snoopy1 wrote: »

I don't think so at all. It's a thread I followed with interest. There is a lot to weigh up and it is interesting hearing the different opinions. A lot of rural folk would be in a similar position, myself included. Ultimately I would love to build at home, but I would either have to change career, or travel a great distance to work. My rent is cheap(ish) for the moment so not in a mad panic to buy in Dublin (even if I could afford it) but completely get the draw of the countryside.

I don't think so at all. It's a thread I followed with interest. There is a lot to weigh up and it is interesting hearing the different opinions. A lot of rural folk would be in a similar position, myself included. Ultimately I would love to build at home, but I would either have to change career, or travel a great distance to work. My rent is cheap(ish) for the moment so not in a mad panic to buy in Dublin (even if I could afford it) but completely get the draw of the countryside.

I think it's difficult for some people to think about living outside of Dublin, as if it's a step down in your life.

I don't drink, don't go out much, like to run and be outdoors, love having peace and quiet, and I don't have any family or proper close friends from childhood etc in Dublin.

My girlfriend and I want to live back in her home town as it will give us a better lifestyle that we enjoy. Both of us could get jobs in our field down there, though her much more easily than I.

People giving different opinions doesn't mean people are arguing with one another, it's just giving their own view on where they stand right now.

No problem but you must understand why people are giving an opinion on you leaving Dublin it's all linked.

For now you are definitely leaving Dublin and definitely building a house at home , in 5-10 years time. I had also made that decision but my time frame was much shorter and I still reversed that decision and haven't regretted it once. The likelihood of your plans changing is probably greater given the time scales .

Anyway to your original question , I personally think property will be relatively stable for the next decade as an investment, I'd be surprised if you didn't have capital appreciation. On that basis if you can find something for what you want to spend , somewhere you will be happy living for 5-10 years then go for it , you should save a lot and hopefully get some capital gain as well.

But don't buy somewhere just to save the rent if the location isn't right life is too short.

I will only buy in an area I am happy to live in for the foreseeable, I've seen too many stories of people who just bought so they could 'get their foot on the property ladder' and assumed the value of their purchase would increase massively and they could upgrade the size of their home.

That's not what I'm doing, I just want to live in and around the same area in a similar sized, or perhaps if I was lucky, slightly larger property I've lived for that last 8 years while not spending a minimum of 100k in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

I'm assuming you mean 20% deposit.

I don't want to spend 400k on somewhere to live. I'm just not going to do it, whether it's an apartment in Dublin or a 6 bedroom house in the country. I want to enjoy my income while I'm young enough to do it (I'm 33 now).

I also don't want to worry about losing my job / getting sick etc and not being able to afford the repayments

repayments on a 400k wouldn't be too much considering you have the deposit :confused:

repayments on a 400k wouldn't be too much considering you have the deposit :confused:

I'd be spending 400k on a house in an area I don't want to live in because 400k wouldn't get me where I'd like to live.

I can send <250k on an apartment somewhere close to where I'd like to live and I'd have much lower payments.

I could spend 400k on an apartment but I don't want to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

All the land around the site we'd be building on is owned by her family and will not be used for building on nor will it be sold so we don't have the issue of noisy neighbours anywhere within about at least 500metres surrounding the house.
    Noise doesn't just come neighbours. It also comes the traffic right outside the house. If a busy road is situated at the right point of a valley even if you live a km a away the drone of traffic never fades. One off houses are unpractical and overrated and far from peaceful in most areas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Some amount of negativity in here for getting out of Dublin, I just did it myself after living in it my entire life.

Wouldn't change a thing. Iv a forest across the road, a view of the sea and peace. I have neighbors but they are not right on top of me. The weather is better.. That's not a joke. And there is no noise light or air pollution.

Oh and my house would cost four times what I paid for it if it was in Dublin.

Would I change a thing, not a hope.

Not to mention I could pay the mortgage with little stress.

Far too much advise on this thread from people telling the op to borrow as much as they can to buy the Apartment in an area they like when his sole goal is the live mortgage free young and stress free. Spending there money on themselves via travel and other things.

Reality check folks is idea to move to her home town will give them that.

The boom gets boomier when you have cheerleader advise such as has been given in here. Op everyone wants you in their boat and will try to convince you its great. Until a leak appears

• Advertisement

Noise doesn't just come neighbours. It also comes the traffic right outside the house. If a busy road is situated at the right point of a valley even if you live a km a away the drone of traffic never fades. One off houses are unpractical and overrated and far from peaceful in most areas

That's not an issue for us we know the noise levels of where we are building.

It is practical, it is peaceful and most of all it is what we want and is not something I'm in doubt about or seeking advice on.

listermint wrote: »
    Some amount of negativity in here for getting out of Dublin, I just did it myself after living in it my entire life.

Wouldn't change a thing. Iv a forest across the road, a view of the sea and peace. I have neighbors but they are not right on top of me. The weather is better.. That's not a joke. And there is no noise light or air pollution.

Far too much advise on this thread from people telling the op to borrow as much as they can to buy the Apartment in an area they like when his sole goal is the live mortgage free young and stress free. Spending there money on themselves via travel and other things.

The boom gets boomier when you have cheerleader advise such as has been given in here. Op everyone wants you in their boat and will try to convince you its great. Until a leak appears

Good for you but doesn't make you any more right that anyone advocating an alternative. If you can find a place that you are happy with and its more affordable for you and you dont miss the amenities then great.

For me personally my career would suffer and i couldn't live with the lack of amenities, it doesn't make me a cheerleader, i am advocating an alternative to someone whose opening post stated he would prefer to stay in Dublin.

Many people can't afford to move away from Dublin, which I understand as they won't be able to have the career they have elsewhere. Others are Dublin born and bred and can't imagine a life outside of Dublin. They think there is nothing there for them to do.

Then you have others, like my family and my girlfriend's family who could never think of living in Dublin, it's too noisy, you don't know your neighbours, it's expensive, the traffic is horrible, etc etc.

To me, I understand both arguments. I've lived in large cities before and I don't consider Dublin to be anything like them in terms of size or pollution levels. Even in the convenience of getting around, it's not nearly as handy.

If someone wants to pay 600k to buy a house in Clontarf and another 150k to do it up then that's their choice. I have friends who have done that and are happy to pay the mortgage and have less disposable income over the next 30 years for the pleasure of living in the area and having the city at their doorstep. I know others who moved back down home, bought/built a house and had a family knowing they would not be paying a large monthly mortgage repayment each month. Again, if that's what makes them happy, let them.

For me, I want to live back down the country. It's not a discussion I'm having with anyone as it's what WE want. The only thing I'm not certain on was whether it would make sense to buy an apartment/house int he mean time rather than paying rent, considering the current cost associated with doing so.

Loads of people are focusing on a throwaway comment I made in the opening post saying in an ideal world we'd love to live in Dublin, but that ideal world would be that the house would be the same standard, layout, price, and have as much surrounding space as we would have back home....while also being close to an array of companies to work for. That's not ever going to happen so there's no point dwelling on it and certainly no point in telling me to maximise the amount of borrowings I can get purely to buy a house in an area I don't want to live in, in a house I don't like, just so I can live in Dublin.....somewhere in Dublin.

If someone wants to pay 600k to buy a house in Clontarf and another 150k to do it up then that's their choice. I have friends who have done that and are happy to pay the mortgage and have less disposable income over the next 30 years for the pleasure of living in the area and having the city at their doorstep. I know others who moved back down home, bought/built a house and had a family knowing they would not be paying a large monthly mortgage repayment each month. Again, if that's what makes them happy, let them.

you are assuming a large mortgage will mean you would have less disposable income. That assumption only holds if you assume career prospects in Dublin and Rural ireland are the same. You could well have twice as big a mortgage and more disposoable income, it just depends on your earning capacity. Thats why i think getting hung up on the headline euro amount is misleading.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You mean like how you just did in this post? :pac::pac:

"The weather is better". lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    You mean like how you just did in this post? :pac::pac:

"The weather is better". lol.

I put up one post of my experience you can't compare the cheeleading that has gone on across the thread here and Cyrus is still at it ignoring the reasons the op has pointed to several times.

If you fly in the face of what the ops goals are then yes you are not listening you are cheerleading.

And apologies but the weather is better in the south that's just factual, if that's a point you are putting your coat on to the hook is kinda short.

I have found that the biggest protagonists of staying I Dublin can be people who only moved here in their twentys, I spent my entire life here I think I have a fair opinion on what I personally like and dislike.

But please stop going on at the op when he has given you all reasons he wants to move. They are pretty fair reasons tbh and not a slight one the choices of others

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

You have answered your own question.

But your apartment for the 200-250 mark, with a reasonable mortgage.

You can always rent this out in the future if you wish, use the rent from the apartment to pay the mortgage on the new house, and if it does go badly, you will only have a reasonably small mortgage anyway.

I put up one post of my experience you can't compare the cheeleading that has gone on across the thread here and Cyrus is still at it ignoring the reasons the op has pointed to several times.

still at what exactly?

i am challenging his thinking, do you think i could care less where someone else whats to live? thats entirely up to them, however having been through the exact same decision making process i believe i do have some perspective to share.

Also some of the OPs assumptions arent necessarily correct.

And apologies but the weather is better in the south that's just factual, if that's a point you are putting your coat on to the hook is kinda short..............

Where's the south exactly?
    I thought it was factually correct that Dublin had less rain and warmer summers than Cork for example ....... colder winters admittedly in Dublin.

• Advertisement

But your apartment for the 200-250 mark, with a reasonable mortgage..............

+1 to this.

Ye are spending lots on rent and have €70k sitting there doing nothing for ye.

The only worry I'd have is that ye really missed the boat valuewise compared to 2/3 years ago.

Advertisement