Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How tight should my cycling top be?

• 06-08-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Odd question but not sure how tight my top should be. I'm 5'7, usually buy small but the current top I had is a Med, feels ok but sleeves are not tight around my arms and it the rest of the top doesn't stick to me. I'm probably considered in pretty good shape BMI of about 21. I'm not overly fond of the 'gut' look with cycling tops so obv trying to avoid that too.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

If you have a good body - as tight as possible. If the body is wobbly the baggy look is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Aineoil wrote: »
    If you have a good body - as tight as possible. If the body is wobbly the baggy look is good.
    But more difficult to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,124 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Baggy lycra worse than visible gut.

Normal clothing rules do not apply on bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »
    Baggy lycra worse than visible gut.....
    Or a jersey that way too long so that the filled rear pockets are hanging on the rider's arse - a common feature at all major sportives. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Yeah, the MED has that issue slightly, just slightly though.
    This I stick with the small and take the **** that I get some work colleges and friends alike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Stick with the small and wear it with pride while it still fits :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Personally my only rule is whether it's comfortable or not.

I always have a hard time getting rid of clothing too. I recently gave a cycling top it's last run out. It was one I used to wear when I was 100kg+ and I was still trying to get use of it at 75kg. Down to 70 now and it just had to go in reality.

We may be cycling for very different reasons mind. Weight loss(maintenance now I guess), fitness and head space is what I'm after. :)

Personally my only rule is whether it's comfortable or not.

I always have a hard time getting rid of clothing too. I recently gave a cycling top it's last run out. It was one I used to wear when I was 100kg+ and I was still trying to get use of it at 75kg. Down to 70 now and it just had to go in reality.

We may be cycling for very different reasons mind. Weight loss, fitness and head space is what I'm after. :)

Fair play, it must have been like a tent on you by the time you got to 70kg.

Visible gut on a bike is something I always see as he/she being proactive and not sitting on their arse moaning about being out of shape etc.

I don't have the weight issue but do share your difficulty getting rid of clothes , I have a few pairs of baggy shorts / mtb style ones I have in my rotation of shorts that are super comfy but do get some strange looks when I'm on my road bike in them :pac:

I really mean for utility, tbh I dont really care so much what I look like, I'm in shape. I just mean are there maybe different tops for long/short distances, if I'm keeping bars etc in my pockets I'm prob better having something tight etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭cython

If it's tight enough that you look like this guy, then size up a bit. Otherwise you're probably ok! ;) :pac:

fatguyinspandex.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

cython wrote: »
    If it's tight enough that you look like this guy, then size up a bit. Otherwise you're probably ok! ;) :pac:

fatguyinspandex.jpg
    That's me, that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭benneca1

Tight is good forget how it looks the most important is no flapping and that it sticks to you when wet as will keep you warmer if wearing a vest,

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Agree with the above. Bear in mind a round belly is more aero then a flat one! :)

That is what I tell myself evertime I put my jersey on....

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Obviously some garments are for specific functions, like wind stoppers and winter gear, some has more pockets, some has bigger thread count and some are champions at removing the moisture, but it all comes down to whatever you are comfy with.

I have weird torso, small ones should fit me grand but are too high waist wise, or the sleeves too tight. So more often than not, I wear medium even if it is not perfect all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Depends on the rider....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Don't take any notice of the Fashion Police.
    There is a big difference between fashion and style.
    Fashion is largely created by producers to get 'fashion'-conscious consumers to spend even more money.
    A lot of people with fashion have little style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,124 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TGD wrote: »
    Fashion is largely created by producers to get 'fashion'-conscious consumers to spend even more money.

?

TGD wrote: »

This is just bizarre, I was asking for cycling reasons, not fashion but thanks for the utility.

Advertisement