Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower scale job, better quality of life?

Options
  • 06-08-2017 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Just wondering would anyone consider a lower grade job with a lower salary scale eg. €24k - €41k that is much closer to home, 15 minutes each way. A job has come up, and im considering it. However it is a temporary contract.

My current role is a fixed term contract of a higher scale eg. €37k - 45k with just over an hour commute each way.

Has anyone ever had an offer with a similar scenario to the above? Part of me says i should stay where i am, i am crazy for considering it, the other half of me says its a better quality of life, less commuting time, less petrol etc?

Anyone know if you could enter the lower pay scale at the same level as your current salary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Is it worth an additional 8 hours of free time a week, plus less hassle of getting up early, dealing with traffic, petrol expenses etc?

My view would always be yes. I hate commuting and the associated cost and tiredness.

I'm 10 mins drive from work. Get up 30 mins before work and I'm always on time. No worrying about traffic. No worrying that there might be an accident on the M50. I spend 20 a week on petrol and i can pop home for my lunch if I wish.

If you have kids you can spend more time with them. You're also there if something happens in school, or something comes up at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I traded in an 8 / 26 hour commute one way (flight) every 3/4months for a 12minute cycle each way job with less holidays and less shillings. I definitely feel healthier for it a year on strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenFields123

Hi eeguy, thank you for your reply. Its something i'm scratching my head over! I guess there is no harm in applying for the job anyway, and to take it from there. It all depends on the salary (and getting the job in the first place!). My existing commute does not bother me, I just feel a better quality of life is to be had.

However, having said that, there is the issue of people looking down on you from dropping a grade in your profession? Could that be a disaster for the CV, especially as both jobs are not permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Best thing to do is run the numbers through the Deloitte tax calculator at this link http://services.deloitte.ie/tc/

That will show you the impact on net income. Work out the savings in fuel/travel and then see what the real financial impact is - it may not be that much each week or month.

For example, net income at 45k with no deductions for pension etc is 2,810 per month, and at 41k is 2,640 per month, a difference of just 170. If you are putting less fuel in the car, not paying tolls etc, then you might save say 100 per month, and then be down only 70 per month (less than 20 per week) in reality, with lots of additional free time with family/friends as an additional benefit.

The other thing to think about is career progression, where do you want to go in the future, and will either of these jobs be better for that?

However, having said that, there is the issue of people looking down on you from dropping a grade in your profession? Could that be a disaster for the CV, especially as both jobs are not permanent?

If your boss asked you to work an extra two hours a day for no pay you'd refuse.
    But that's what a long commute is. I worked 8 hours a day but was out of the house for 11 hours each day.

Regarding CV, just give them your reasons. Closer to home, more time with family and more able to work overtime since you didn't have to worry about the drive home ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I used to commute just over an hour each way, every day. My current job in Australia is a ten minute walk from my house. Granted, I intentionally moved closer but the difference is massive. I didn't take a pay cut but I wouldn't have regretted it if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Great thread.

Do you want to live to work, or work to live?

Thats the ultimate question.

Whatever makes you happy I guess.

If you commute an hour each way to work then you spend 3 full weeks a year commuting.

Surely you can think of more productive things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I love listening to podcasts, one of my favourite things to do. I don't get a chance to do it at home so if I couldn't spend 2 hours a day in the car I'd really miss it.

People have different things they like and find important.
    I do the same. I noticed I stopped listening to my faves when I stopped commuting so i started walking and running instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenFields123

Thanks everyone, i appreciate your replies. Will think about it further. Wouldnt be one for podcasts however i guess there is 2 hours of headspace to be had. Will definitely look at the Deloitte calculator.

The most important decision maker here is the wages, if i could enter at the same scale as my current job...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

There's a risk with taking a lower scale job that you might get bored after a while or find that it harms your career prospects in the long run. Did something similar years back wanted a cushy number to coast along in that was near my house and ended up trapped in a dead end job with no career progression. You'd need to consider this company carefully, look at sites like Glassdoor to get an idea of what they are like to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

On the other hand, is it possible to work 1-2 days from home in the current role?

I spent enough time in local jobs with no pay rises for nearly 10 years, so personally I would look for better-paid & non-temp jobs close to home and not ones that involved a pay cut. That's just me though, perhaps you will find that you can afford to take the financial hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Did all that mad commuting to and from work for nearly 30 yrs. Had too for the first 20 years or so then it just became habit.
    Eventually around 6 yrs ago after noticing most of my hair was gone and I was really only living to work, I made what seemed at the time the very easy decision to ask for and receive a transfer to different dept.

Which ment a 5 minute drive to work, slight salary cut which levelled outgoings out as I no longer had an 80km round trip to work, Working with a larger team ment responsibilities and problems shared, and work still challanging enough to keep me motivated but not worn out.

Best move I ever made.

Advertisement