Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I afford a mortgage with this plan?

Options
  • 07-08-2017 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

After meeting with a pensions advisor this week, he knocked home to me that I should really start saving now for a mortgage (with an aim to get one in 5 years) . I've been pouring over material but I'm not sure if I would even be able to get one.

I am currently living at home, working for the civil service on 28k and paying a small amount of rent, my shares of bills etc.

I am saving 800e a month, but knock away a bit at that for holidays and luxuries

With increments to my job, I should be on about 37k in 5 years.

I'm hoping to start putting aside 500 a month (keeping 300 a month for myself) moving up to 1000 a month about a year before I apply for the mortgage so that I can show I have regular savings close to the amount for mortgage repayments.

All going well I should have about 25k saved in 5 years. I am looking for a 2 bed apartment in south Dublin.

My aim would be to rent one of the bedrooms out for the first 5-7 years, after that I expect to be able to comfortably pay the mortgage alone.

Realistically, would I be on the right track? Any help would be amazing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

Socket2me wrote:
    Realistically, would I be on the right track? Any help would be amazing

The plan looks good financially.

Your problem will be borrowng enough from the bank to buy the 2 bed.
    Even on 37k with a 25k deposit, you would be looking at properties around 140k.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Living at home on net income of 2k/mo you should be able to save 1k/mo without difficulty, giving 60k in 5 years.

I wouldn't count on being able to buy a 2 bed apartment in south Dublin though, unless you mean Tallaght.

Advertisement