Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin/surrounding area

Options
  • 07-08-2017 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi folks,
    I've taken up a job offer and will be moving to Ireland from England in a couple of weeks. Job is based in Clondalkin so my options for renting appear to be either Clondalkin itself or slightly further out; maybe Naas. I could with knowing tips on the areas and what I need to know about renting in Ireland.
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Naas is nice. Not too far to drive but you difinitely need a car. Clondalkin can be fine too but you need to live as close to N7 as you can. Further away get rougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭frefrefre

you could live slightly nearer the city which would be handy for going against traffic, Inchicore, Island Bridge, Strawberry beds, Chapelizod or Kilmainham are decent. Avoid Ballyfermot, parts of Crumlin or Drimnagh can be rough as a badgers arse too.
    On the other hand, Naas is lovely, there's also Rathcoole or perhaps somewhere on the tramline such as Sagaart or City West. 
    I'd go with Kilmainham if you're young and want to be near town. Could walk home after a few jars and there's plenty on your doorstep too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Neighbourhoods will vary a lot within Clondalkin also. Generally the further south and or east the more established / nicer the area. Lucan would generally be nicer, but not Ronanstown or Neilstown. Most housing is 3-bed semis, with some apartments and others. Note that it is exceptionally difficult to rent in Dublin at the moment.

There is a village in Clondalkin with a medium-sized shopping centre. There are big shopping centres at Tallaght and Liffey Valley.

Note that the Luas tram provides an excellent service. The main rail line only has a limited service to Clondalkin. Plenty of city bus routes. Some long distance and airport coach service serve the Red Cow Luas stop.

Put your exact locations (crèche and work) and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are you prepared to say roughly where in Clondalkin you will be working, and if you want to use public transport or drive/cycle?

Are you Irish lol. It can make a difference if posters don't know the lay of the land. So just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MikeH30

Thanks for the info. In answer to Spanish Eyes, I'm English (well, with 25% Irish but only through my Grandfather who moved from Bandon in 1917!), and I'm 59 so no spring chicken although not an old git either :) Office is on Watery Lane and I don't mind walking or using my bike if I'm local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theres some decent apartments in park west which is well within walking distance, very little else going on there though. I personally would avoid living in most places around there, especially if you're not a local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Citywest wouldn't be terrible either. Luas there for town, you could cycle if you liked and a little shopping centre there too. It's not much of a town to be honest though. I'd recommend naas, I drive from near there to near where you are working every morning, takes about 20. Other potential options are out the n4. Maynooth is really nice (imo) but it's a student town so you need to be careful with what estate you go with. If you have any specific questions about towns around pm me, I've lived around a lot of the towns in the area in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

check apartments aras na cluaine just at the end of watery lane. There are few more apartments close by. no need to go to naas.

Arrived today, checked out where the office is, and did some foot slogging around the agents. Really surprised how little property is available. Drove over to Nass - looks a decent town. Hitting the web tomorrow after a couple of beers tonight ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd consider a house share or a room as a lodger for a few months/weeks. If there is anything reasonably close by.

Then you can figure out on your days off how other places might work for you.

I personally wouldn't move out of the immediate area. Traffic is bad on the N7, and the village in Clondalkin is up and coming, has everything you need. And the Luas/tram is not too far away either.

I would not go too far out West. But that's up to you. Just think about the traffic and commute times. On yer bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Newbridge is a little further out than naas and could be an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MikeH30 wrote: »
    Clondalkin
    I'm English
    You're not a local, your no spring chicken, and you're english. Because of the first two, I think you should avoid living in Clondalkin. Not sure how the third would affect ye, but doubt it'd help ye.
    From Naas to Clondalkin could be doable. Not sure about the area you'd be walking though, though, from the train station to your workplace. Also, look at houses to the south of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the_syco wrote: »
    You're not a local, your no spring chicken, and you're english. Because of the first two, I think you should avoid living in Clondalkin.

What a sweeping generalisation, that is totally meaningless. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus I'd take it handy on the Clondalkin bashing there. It's not the most gentrified of areas but you won't be strung up for being English.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jaysus I'd take it handy on the Clondalkin bashing there. It's not the most gentrified of areas but you won't be strung up for being English.
    Nobody wrote that though. :pac:

I visited Clondalkin several times recently. Judging by its reputation I was expecting some sort of Mad Max wasteland. It's really quite nice.

Did a viewing in Lucan yesterday - not used to the high rents and mediocre standards! Plus a whole bunch of potential tenants on a block viewing. I guess that's what you get in a sellers market. Got another one tonight - Monread Mews in Naas. Failing that, it might have to be Airbnb for a few weeks until I can find somewhere!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did a viewing in Lucan yesterday - not used to the high rents and mediocre standards! Plus a whole bunch of potential tenants on a block viewing. I guess that's what you get in a sellers market. Got another one tonight - Monread Mews in Naas. Failing that, it might have to be Airbnb for a few weeks until I can find somewhere!

Swings and roundabouts. A couple of years ago rents were rock bottom (if you could find a tenant). It is a fairly volatile market here.

Mission accomplished. Got an offer accepted on a nice apartment in Lucan. Thanks for the advice and suggestions - all very useful to an outsider! Looking forward to coming back later this month an starting my new job.

As a treat we took the afternoon off from flat hunting and caught the Luas red line from our hotel at Red Cow into Dublin centre. Now, that was an experience. Kids fare dodging and getting free rides whilst those who like something stronger than tea for breakfast were sleeping off their excesses! The outer reaches of Dublin has so much to offer, it's just a shame the Luas couldn't be routed to enable its passengers to enjoy the journey. Maybe a few ticket inspectors would ensure passengers paid for the pleasure and didn't get a free ride to their mates/the pub/their local apothecary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

the_syco wrote: »
    You're not a local, your no spring chicken, and you're english. Because of the first two, I think you should avoid living in Clondalkin. Not sure how the third would affect ye, but doubt it'd help ye.
    From Naas to Clondalkin could be doable. Not sure about the area you'd be walking though, though, from the train station to your workplace. Also, look at houses to the south of the town.

You serious? Clondalkin village is lovely. The Laurels is a great pub, loads of coffee shops around, the happy pear in the lovely round tower heritage park, lots of buses to town and even the Luas up the road. Monastery Estate is a really nice housing estate as well. Get a place there and he could walk to work.

North Clondalkin is a different story, but that's a good a good bit away and across the canal.

Advertisement