Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contador

Options
  • 07-08-2017 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Well, the curtain is being pulled on a career after his last race, the Vuelta.
    It's been coming a while tbh, and given his falling powers, it's the best decision but he will still be missed.

Onwards and upwards for the next generation of attacking exciting talent........just not too sure if we will see another Contador too soon.

https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/894478754571014144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He put a brave face on it in the video... but I bet he's pretty gutted to retire.

Hopefully, we may get at least one more finger bang salute! Bueno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

He will be missed despite his doping past. No one in recent years attacks like Bertie in his prime.
    Stage 17 of the Vuelta has the same combination of Collada de Ozalba and Collada La Hoz as the Fuente Dé stage from 2012, but the finish coming at Santo Toribio instead of continuing all the way up. One last crazy attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

He performed very well in the smaller stage races so would love to see him stay another year and focus on the shorter races as he's animated the Paris Nice amongst others the past 2 versions.

All the best to him with the future, as he has bought a level of entertainment to the sport few others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

He performed very well in the smaller stage races so would love to see him stay another year and focus on the shorter races as he's animated the Paris Nice amongst others the past 2 versions.

I was thinking the same myself. It seems that is what Valverde has done, but after winning a few grand tours would he be happy with just focusing on 1 week stage races and i'm sure his salary would not be as high if that is what he was focusing on.

He had a decent TT in the tour and i don't think Sky will control the Vuelta like the TDF so IF he doesn't crash, i'd reckon a decent result is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hopefully this is another of the old guard moving on and we can look forward to a cleaner future for cycling.

Yes he was entertaining, and he always made the race interesting, but at what cost to the 'credibility' of the sport?

Hopefully the new generation of champions won't be tainted as much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement