Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation Question

Options
  • 07-08-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all myself and my OH are TTC. I bought ovulation strip tests in boots and took one last night. It's telling me I'm ovulating now but my period is due any day. Is that right? I do have PCOS so my periods are all over the place. I'm new to this so want to just get an understanding of it. I know it's generally 12/14 days before your period that's why I was confused. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What do you mean it's telling you that you are ovulating now? Is it the test with the lines? The second line is usually as dark if not darker than the test line when you are having an LH surge, which happens between 12- 36 hours before you ovulate. The tests don't actually say you do ovulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, I also have PCOS and those ovulation sticks where not accurate for me. I used to get "positive" results several times during my very long cycle. They just ended up stressing me out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What do you mean it's telling you that you are ovulating now? Is it the test with the lines? The second line is usually as dark if not darker than the test line when you are having an LH surge, which happens between 12- 36 hours before you ovulate. The tests don't actually say you do ovulate.

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes one of the strips is darker than the other; so does that mean I am due to ovulate? I'm sorry for asking very obvious questions

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sunnyspells7

Yes the test is the strip and one of the colours is the darker pink. That's what was confusing me as I'm due my period and didn't think I could ovulate this close to it. Then again with the PCOS it could be another week before I get it

bee06 wrote: »
    OP, I also have PCOS and those ovulation sticks where not accurate for me. I used to get "positive" results several times during my very long cycle. They just ended up stressing me out even more.

Thanks for coming back me to. Did you find out a better solution?

• Advertisement

Thanks for coming back me to. Did you find out a better solution?

I had blood tests done and it turned out I wasn't ovulating so at that stage I moved onto fertility treatment. Got 9 months of ovulation induction and I'm currently 5 months pregnant. But I think PCOS is different for everyone. I had highly polycyclic ovaries (the consultant said they were the worst she'd ever seen).

I do think it would be worth having a chat with your GP or Gynae about it if you haven't already. Some PCOS people on here have been prescribed metaformin to regularise their cycles.

I had blood tests done and it turned out I wasn't ovulating so at that stage I moved onto fertility treatment. Got 9 months of ovulation induction and I'm currently 5 months pregnant. But I think PCOS is different for everyone. I had highly polycyclic ovaries (the consultant said they were the worst she'd ever seen).

I do think it would be worth having a chat with your GP or Gynae about it if you haven't already. Some PCOS people on here have been prescribed metaformin to regularise their cycles.

Well congratulations on convincing and best of luck with everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi,

Mild PCOS here too, and the sticks were completely useless for us. I had slightly more success with tempurature readings, but they kinda tell you when ovulation already happened. On a 60+ day cycle, it's hard going.

I used the app, fertility friend for a few cycles, that was pretty handy actually. I still use it now actually, 2 kids later, just i have have an better idea of what is going on with my cycle.

Blood tests every few days from my GP in the end were the most accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I've been using the ovulation cheapie strips from Dealz and to be honest, I don't think my cycle can be tracked. The only time I ever got a positive on them was when I was actually pregnant. I have had a few faint lines alright but they have never ever come up with two strong lines for ovulation except for when I was pregnant already. I started using them after my first mc in July last year and never once did they come up positive. But I must have ovulated at some point in early February because I had a positive pregnancy test on 7th March at almost 4 weeks.

Since my D&C in April, my cycle has been all over the place. First period was 6 weeks 3 days after D&C, next one was 5 weeks 1 day, next one hasn't arrived yet. So I'm all over the shop. In that case, I probably should be having blood tests regularly instead of the tests.

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    I've been using the ovulation cheapie strips from Dealz and to be honest, I don't think my cycle can be tracked. The only time I ever got a positive on them was when I was actually pregnant. I have had a few faint lines alright but they have never ever come up with two strong lines for ovulation except for when I was pregnant already. I started using them after my first mc in July last year and never once did they come up positive. But I must have ovulated at some point in early February because I had a positive pregnancy test on 7th March at almost 4 weeks.

Since my D&C in April, my cycle has been all over the place. First period was 6 weeks 3 days after D&C, next one was 5 weeks 1 day, next one hasn't arrived yet. So I'm all over the shop. In that case, I probably should be having blood tests regularly instead of the tests.

Thanks for coming back to me. It's hard to know I've only used two of the ovulation sticks. How many should you use, should you check daily?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Thanks for coming back to me. It's hard to know I've only used two of the ovulation sticks. How many should you use, should you check daily?!

Yes, you start a few days after the last day of your period and keep using them until you get a result or your period comes again. Not everyone ovulates every month so don't get disheartened. I know for a fact that I don't ovulate every month but can still get a period. Also, it's best to check in the evening times rather than the mornings. I think your LH is higher in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I'd also recommend signing up for fertility friend. I thought I had very irregular cycles but once I started logging them I began to see a pattern.

I found that I regularly got positive lines on ovulation sticks, your body can gear up to ovulate and give off all the signs but then not actually ovulate or just ovulate later int he month. The key is that the test line must be darker than the control line. Once you start to see positive lines I would test twice a day to catch the surge, I would get semi positives for up to a week before I actually ovulated.

Another option is to start paying attention to your discharge (cervical mucus), it's a really good indication of what's going on in your body. Recording your temperature first thing in the morning will also let you know when you have ovulated.
    Many people recommend the book 'taking charge of your fertility' for going through this kind of thing. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayDonegal

do you mind me asking you a question. I don't think I'm currently ovulating aso purchased the advanced clear blue fertility monitor. . no peaks appearing each month. I've made appointment with my doctor for next week but wondering when you state after you had your blood tests and it turned out you weren't ovulating so at that point you moved onto fertility treatments. what does that mean exactly. I don't know what to expect from doc next week and just asking.thanks in advance

do you mind me asking you a question. I don't think I'm currently ovulating aso purchased the advanced clear blue fertility monitor. . no peaks appearing each month. I've made appointment with my doctor for next week but wondering when you state after you had your blood tests and it turned out you weren't ovulating so at that point you moved onto fertility treatments. what does that mean exactly. I don't know what to expect from doc next week and just asking.thanks in advance

My Gp referred me to a fertility clinic and the investigates why I wasn’t ovulating as well as ruling out other fertility issues like blocked tubes or sperm count issues for my husband. Once they have done that they would put a plan in place for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayDonegal

hey everyone..
    can I ask for help please . as I said in previous post I bought the advanced fertility monitor and have been using it for 4 months (having ttc for about 6 months prior to me purchasing this monitor) anyhow... the monitor has not picked up on any peak days over the 4 cycles. I made doctor appointment for next week..however I'm wondering should I temp for a month and see what the results of that temping is before I go to the doctor? I'm wondering will the doctor tell me to temp for the month to see? thanks so much

Advertisement