Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miserable mulberry -morus nigra

Options
  • 07-08-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I planted a mulberry bush -morus nigra in a sunny sheltered spot, as per instructions. It's doing badly and losing leaves. Can anyone help. To see how badly it's doing see photos. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Gangu wrote: »
    I planted a mulberry bush -morus nigra in a sunny sheltered spot, as per instructions. It's doing badly and losing leaves. Can anyone help. To see how badly it's doing see photos. Thanks

Having phone problems. Here's the photo. Could a mod delete the duplicate threads (with apologies)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say it is planted too close to the wall. Its roots are probably up against the foundations meaning it is not getting enough water and is struggling with the rubbish that is often left near walls.

It may be too stressed at this stage, but I suggest you water it well then lift it with a good spadeful of soil and put it somewhere in the shade and cover the roots. Dig a decent hole a good foot away from the wall and check you are clear of the foundations and there is no old cement rubbish. Put in some John Innes compost (soil based compost) then carefully replace the plant making sure there is no rubbish embedded in the soil. Tuck it in carefully with some more compost if necessary and firm it in gently. Water it some more and continue to water it depending on the weather.

You could cut off a few of the more sad looking leaves and possibly give it a foliar feed to help it get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Thank you. I'll try moving at the weekend.

Advertisement