Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the North - Living in the South

Options
  • 07-08-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been working in the North for the past year and living in Donegal.  I've heard recently that I maybe entitled to a medical card (of some description) and that this may give me discount on my childcare which is in the South.

I add that this is all from people and not from a government source so it may be all "pub talk" but if any one here has any information on my eligibility to get this medical card I would be grateful if you would share the info.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might throw some light on it and if not there are plenty of links on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, you would be entitled to a medical card ok if you are a UK tax payer (well at least until Brexit happens, then God knows what will stand).

As to how it plays into relief for childcare in RoI, sorry don't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I live in Donegal & have worked in Derry for past 13y.
    I am entitled to free GP attendances & healthcare, as pay taxes there.
    My kids ain't. 
    You need to register with a GP in NI. They will help you with that.
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I was told I had a choice of registering with a GP in the North or the Republic.

I work in Derry and my GP is in Donegal

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/medcardnatassguidelines.pdf
    (It should be noted that Ireland has an agreement with the United Kingdom whereby E-Forms are not required when processing applications under EU Regulation 883/04. UK-insured people are usually requested to
    produce some other document as evidence of their entitlement to avail of healthcare in
    Ireland, and this is described in the individual sections later)

6.3.1.1 Frontier workers and their dependants

EU Regulation 883/04 makes specific provision for those workers who pursue their
    employment/self-employment in one Member state and reside in the territory of another
    member state to which they return daily or at least once a week.
    Workers residing in Ireland but employed elsewhere within the EU and returning to
    Ireland at least once a week, are entitled to a Medical Card on production of the form
    E106 from the competent institute from that State, unless they are subject to Irish social
    security legislation. It may also be necessary to provide evidence of residing in Ireland or
    proof that they are returning here at least once a week e.g. Airline tickets etc.

E–forms for frontier and posted workers and their dependants

Frontier workers, posted workers and dependants of either category must produce a form
    E106 when applying for a Medical Card in Ireland. However, because of the bi-lateral
    agreement with the UK, no E-form is required and the applicant must provide proof of
    employment in the UK

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's an odd one...

I've been told that because I work in the North I qualify for a medical card in the south. But to get one, I need to register with a GP in the south.

To register with one in the south I need to ditch the one in the North which makes no sense as my GP in the North is about 3 miles from my house in Donegal. Whereas my nearest Donegal GP is about 10 miles away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement