Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Totally Football Podcasts

Options
  • 07-08-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

What're peoples thoughts on this?

I didn't know it had happened until I listened to the latest FW episode yesterday. Have to say, I found the tone they used when referencing it a little distasteful. The initial joke at the top of the show was funny, but the continued references seemingly accusing Richardson of being disloyal sort of left a sour taste. It would've been nice if they acknowledged his work throughout the past 11 years...

But that aside, I'm excited. I like Max Rushdon, so I'll happily still listen to FW, and now I'll have a second football podcast with whatever Richardson produces. Win win for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'd say he saw that SC etc were able to do with some autonomy and it probably works out financially better for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Disloyal? He was out of contract & never offered a new one, far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What're peoples thoughts on this?

but the continued references seemingly accusing Richardson of being disloyal sort of left a sour taste. It would've been nice if they acknowledged his work throughout the past 11 years.
    It was just "banter".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It was just "banter".

Well I assumed that's what they were going for, it just felt to me it crossed the line from "Haha, this is a bit like a football player transferring, LOL!" over into a slightly more nasty vibe.

It doesn't matter much I know, but still. Having listened to James since 2008, Football Weekly being one of the very first podcasts I regularly listened to, it's just kind of sad that they couldn't just be serious for even a few minutes at the end of the pod.

That said, I don't know what happened in terms of him leaving, so maybe it was bitter. I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I thought B.G.D had the most cutting comment regards lately him been very angry for about an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yup, it's been the talk of the second captains thread now for the past week or so!

I'm surprised he left to be honest. Football Weekly has such a strong brand - for want of a better term - and listener numbers that in one sense you'd have to view it as something of a step down for him now to be off doing his own thing, even if there's maybe more autonomy in this new venture. Though, I've literally no idea what actually occurred behind the scenes. Maybe he wanted to stay on, maybe he didn't - who knows? There's lots of rumours going around about a forthcoming Guardian paywall, so maybe there are some changes afoot in the organisation as a whole and FW got caught up in it somehow. I still think if I was in charge of podcasts at Guardian HQ I'd be doing my damnedest to try to hang onto James Richardson.

I can't see myself rushing back to avid listenership of the show again. It's a pity because, like a lot of people, it was my first toe-dip into the podcast ocean, back in 2008. I'd say I listened to every single episode from then on, up until about 2012 or '13. What made me go off it? Partly I think it was down to the fact that there was so many other podcasts begging for attention; there was a lot more in this world to be listening to than to hear a few lads talking about football. So there was a cull in my football related subscriptions about then - out went the once funny but by then insufferable blowhards at The Football Ramble and FW went too - the only one I kept on was Second Captains, which has always had a little bit more to offer than other football based shows.

But part of the reason I felt I could do without FW was that I thought the format had become very stale and the quality of the guests was poor compared to what it once was - Michael Hann? Jesus Wept. And four to five years of Barry Glenndinning had made me realise that I actually couldn't stand him. They didn't seem to be trying very hard most weeks, resting on their laurels I thought. They could still raise their game on the odd occasion - I'd always listen if Jonathan Wilson was on and they were good while tournaments were taking place.

I always liked James Richardson though. He's just a perfect host in my view. Often he was the only reason I'd bother listening at all. He's witty, dry, cynical but also kind of earnest. He's plenty of knowledge too but never unduly showed it off. I think he's got a great manner and comes across really well and often with any pod the host makes the show. He's a massive loss. And having Max Rushden and Barry Glenndinning as a double act replacement? Thanks, but I'd rather clean out my Jap's Eye with barbed wire.

But anyways, Jimbo is off to do something new and good luck to him. He's been branching out a bit lately. He presents a film review podcast as well now, Truth and Movies and he's pretty good at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sort of agree with you Arghus on FW. While I still personally enjoy it, I find myself getting frustrated with it at times. BGD in particular can (and I say this with all the love in the world) be a bit insufferable at times.

There was a period towards the end of last season where I swear on almost every podcast BGD's response was some variation on "Well, it's hard to tell really..." or "I don't know...", I mean come on, I could do that punditry myself.

"Hey wnolan, will Man U win the league this year?"
    "Well, it's hard to tell. On one hand X, but on another Y!"
    "Great."

Totally agreed on Jimbo. I must actually give his film reviews a go.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets any of the FW contributors to contribute to his new cast. The likes of Sid Lowe and Rafa Honigstein (sp?) for instance, who contribute to a load of other places but who are (I believe) Guardian employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jimbo's new show has Iain McIntosh, James Horncastle (thanks be to Jesus) and Kelly Coates this week.

It might as well be FW, so far from what I've heard.

It's all very strange. Barry and the others were very bitchy about it mentioning sneaky snakes and then an Iain McIntosh ha-lo being thrown out.

It was very odd the Max Rushden was in on the bitching, considering it got him a new job.

Would love to know what happened. I'll listen to both for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

That kelly cates woman on the 1st episode was insufferable. Like a female BGD. Interjecting just to say she didn't have a clue what she is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Nearly cried when I heard the news. Double blow when I heard Max Rushden was taking over FW then. But, at least he has his own show now, thankfully! I now get two podcasts with a bigger selection of guests! And after a while you kinda get used to Max.

Started off as a fan of Barry Glendenning, but he is getting more and more irritating by the minute. The pod today was great - because of two reasons; 1-No Barry Glendenning and 2-The wonderful Philippe Auclair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

sheroman01 wrote: »
    ... The wonderful Philippe Auclair.
    Haven't listed to it yet, but I'm hoping he says "particular" at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Had to turn off FW weekly after a few mins today and listen to Richardsons pod, FW is dire these days.

Had to turn off FW weekly after a few mins today and listen to Richardsons pod, FW is dire these days.

Everything EVERYTHING is dire for Arsenal fans these days.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Everything EVERYTHING is dire for Arsenal fans these days.

I can't catch a break anywhere these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So what are some of the classic James R quips?

Not FW but an old football Italia classic. After a lengthy round up of the previous week's action from Kenneth Wolstenholme, cut to JR sitting on a fancy terrace having a gelato, papers spread out on the table.

JR: 'So in the words of Barry Venison's barber, that's enough of the highlights for now'

From FW: it's circa 2008 and Chelsea under Avrham Grant have an unconvincing result away in Turkey
    JR 'Chelsea fans found themselves wandering the backstreets of Istanbul this week, asking themselves 'so is this the Bosphurus?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

A couple of years ago teams managed by Jose Mourihno and Jurgan Klopp played each other in the CL. Dortmund/Chelsea maybe or Dortmund/Real Madrid. JR described this as the 'farmyard derby - Moo versus Klopp'.

I remember him once saying that Milan (I think) were like Jude Law, running scared of Sienna.

Or something along those lines.

He had so many. So many, in fact, that I can't recall a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Arghus wrote: »
    He had so many. So many, in fact, that I can't recall a single one.

They are literally the start of every show. A thread dedicated solely to James Richardson's puns and quips could easily be created!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He opened his new show with "... And PSG, who like Rangers, had Naymar money"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

It wasn't a Jimboism, but his Italian saying "It's not true, but I believe it" was great.

I'm really enjoying this pod, a relief from the crushing smugness of Glendenning whose Football Weekly I haven't bothered with since the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm listening to AJ Jimbo rather than FW, but both are too long in any event. A really sharp 20 minutes about the stuff people actually care about ;) - PL and CL is all you need. No one wants to hear about Ligue 1 or Serie A do they :)

It wasn't a Jimboism, but his Italian saying "It's not true, but I believe it" was great.

I'm really enjoying this pod, a relief from the crushing smugness of Glendenning whose Football Weekly I haven't bothered with since the start of the season.

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Glendenning....

The one wholly positive development from Jimbo jumping ship is that I can get my fix of him without having to listen to Glenndinning. He's an awful arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Not FW but an old football Italia classic. After a lengthy round up of the previous week's action from Kenneth Wolstenholme, cut to JR sitting on a fancy terrace having a gelato, papers spread out on the table.

JR: 'So in the words of Barry Venison's barber, that's enough of the highlights for now'

From FW: it's circa 2008 and Chelsea under Avrham Grant have an unconvincing result away in Turkey
    JR 'Chelsea fans found themselves wandering the backstreets of Istanbul this week, asking themselves 'so is this the Bosphurus?[/

Jimbo.... "Limerick were playing Offaly that day..... and so we're PSG." When
    Barry comparing the barca comeback to the 1994 all Ireland hurling final

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Glendenning....

I actually like him too. His dowerness adds something to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Cienciano wrote: »
    I actually like him too. His dowerness adds something to the show.

Himself and Mark Lawrence are the most miserable humans on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

threein99 wrote: »
    Himself and Mark Lawrence are the most miserable humans on earth

Mark Lawernson whines, Glendenning moans. I can't stand ML, but I actually like Glendenning. He won't be winning any awards for his footballing knowledge, but added to the entertainment of football weekly IMO. Little interest in listening now though that Richardson is gone. It's like OTB without the second captains

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Mark Lawernson whines, Glendenning moans. I can't stand ML, but I actually like Glendenning. He won't be winning any awards for his footballing knowledge, but added to the entertainment of football weekly IMO. Little interest in listening now though that Richardson is gone. It's like OTB without the second captains

I agree. I do quite like Barry but FW is nothing without Jimbo.

The new pod is very good. They had Honigstein, Horncastle and Brassell on yesterday. The only thing they are missing is Sid Lowe but given he works mainly for the Guardian it's unlikely we'll be hearing from him.

I've pretty much dropped FW, OTB and The Times the Game in favour of Totally Football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

LiamoSail wrote: »

I actually prefer OTB now. Granted I only listen to the football show but Kilbane is great and they get better guests on now owing to his connections.

Advertisement