Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Totally Football Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cienciano wrote: »
    I actually like him too. His dowerness adds something to the show.

I probably like glendenning more than I should though. His premier league predictions are amazing. He's won me a LOT of €€ through the years on taking a punt on Sunderland. I think he's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Always like when Paul Doyle is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Really, really enjoyed Lars Sivertsen, the new Norwegian guy. Funny, witty, competent and knew his stuff. Hopefully hear more of him. His Norwegian/Irish twang was quite funny too :) An all Irish line-up you could say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Im enjoying this way more now. I had stopped listening to FW. Barry and that paul guy were horrible to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Some bitching about Jimbo from Barney Ronay on FW this week.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Some bitching about Jimbo from Barney Ronay on FW this week.

As in?

He said that someone who sits there, reads a few things off a piece of paper, maybe throws out a pun and then says "Any thoughts, Barry?" can overestimate their importance in a podcast.

Showing a bit of a lack of self awareness there, Barney, considering his own career is literally just talking/writing about other people playing football.

He had a couple of other little digs when he was introduced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Amazed they are so bitchy about it. Can they not just be professional?

I think Jimbo's new show is great: like an improved version of Football Weekly, with no Glendinning to suffer through and more time given to interesting contributors who actually know a thing or two about the game.

It'd be good if they could decide whether they didn't like him or didn't like him leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I said it in the immediate aftermath, but I find the sniping very off putting. It's not all one-sided either, on today's pod Jimbo and Josh Widickham(sp?) made a crack about not being welcome in the building again. It's all so childish it's ridiculous.

IMO, at the minute we've got two great football podcasts. FW a bit lighter, TFS a bit more in depth. I think Max Rushden is doing a great job on FW, and likewise James is as ever a brilliant host on TFS. TFS now has more licence to experiment (Totally Football League Show for example).

Ultimately, I just don't get why they're so bitter about this. It's gone beyond the "banter" point at this stage, which I could overlook in the first few podcasts (the transfer analogy on the first FW after the news was legitimately funny).

IMO, Richardson helped build FW for almost 10 years, then decided to go try something new. If Guardian staff are bitter about this, then tbh it's a bit pathetic.

My only gripe is that Sid Lowe isn't on TFS. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't stand Max, he really is the lowest common denominator. FW definitely has had a bit of a shift in image the last few years and I can't stand it anymore. Max and Barry's interactions are low wit in the extreme, it's embarrassing at times.

TFS is a revelation in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

FW this week was absolutely intolerable.

I don't care, not one bit about women's football and to dedicate 90% of the pod to it is the main reason I've finally unsubbed. I'd rather put glass in my eyes than watch women's football, I definitely don't want to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Can't stand Max, he really is the lowest common denominator.
    Agreed, he's horrific and has ruined the show. Totally football is miles better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I gave both podcasts a try but I prefer the Guardian's one now. James Richardson's one is heavy going and he's getting a bit irritating. A fine line he'd been straddling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I listen to the totally football show, but it's not as good. I'm not a Max Rushden fan, so can't be bothered with that. Basically, we're left with 2 lesser shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've not listened to FW since the first new era edition but I've only heard ACJimbos podcast about four times. Weirdly I'm not missing either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Been listening to the Totally Football Show every week and Football Weekly the odd time. Just listened to the latest TFS, a new weekly slot with Paddy Power? I'd rather just pay them for the podcast.

Been listening to the Totally Football Show every week and Football Weekly the odd time. Just listened to the latest TFS, a new weekly slot with Paddy Power? I'd rather just pay them for the podcast.

Ah, no. Really? I hate them and their stupid marketing-exec-drenched bantz style of nonsense. Not to mention their seedy, scummy business.

I would definitely prefer to pay for the pod.

By a man with an Irish accent calling himself Mr. Paddy Power, just to make things worse.

Yeah, that was cringe to be honest. I always find those betting segments irritating, but less than 5 minutes of dross which I can skip is grand if it means the pod is more sustainable and helps the lads keep doing it and building it up.

I'm enjoying both FW and TFS a lot. TFS has been a bit lackluster in recent weeks, but hopefully just a dip in form. I always liked Max, and I think he and BGD work well together. It's definitely a lighter more "banter" filled show, but I'm enjoying it.

The real gem though is The Totally Football League Show. Hearing about lower league clubs is really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Every time I here paddy power on the pod a little bit of me dies inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

James did say "you can listen to the exact moment that we sell our soul."

https://twitter.com/jonawils/status/937773147880853505

Didn't peg Jonathan Wilson to be a bad winner

Why are they so bitter about it? Why is tgere so much bitterness about them effectively changing jobs? Is that a crime?

Especially since it's not just Jimbo. Producer Ben, McIntosh, Rafa Honegstein, James Horncastle and i think a couple more all moved. It's just odd. If they didn't like these lads, why the bitterness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Haven't listened today yet but this Pod takes itself far too seriously.

Not sure how much longer I can continue to listen, especially since they now feature betting adverts.

Re the Wilson tweet, they're clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think that's a joke from Jonathan Wilson tbh

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think that's a joke from Jonathan Wilson tbh

Is it though? Jonathan isn't on the totally show at all is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Beersmith wrote: »
    Is it though? Jonathan isn't on the totally show at all is he?

Nobody employed by The Guardian is on it but lads like Honigstein and Horncastle are freelance so can turn up wherever they want.

I honestly can't tell anymore whether there's genuine ill-feeling there or whether it's all just put on "banter". Paul Mcinnes on Thursday's FW mentioned he was going for lunch with Jimbo, and Barry's faux outrage seemed to be just that, but Max seemed genuinely uneasy and sort of just let it hang there. It's also been alluded to on FW that The Guardian lads felt James and Ben got a bit big for their britches and over-estimated their importance. But again, it's really difficult to tell whether it's just friendly jibes or actual malice.

To be honest I wish both pods would just move on and stop making an issue of it every time it comes up.

Also, Mod: I changed the thread title. We'll use this thread for discussion of all the Totally Football pods (main show, Football League and the upcoming Italian football show and whichever others crop up.

• Advertisement

Take James Richardson out of TFS and I'd probably stop listening to it. The balance between good discussion and light entertainment is slightly off now, and I usually listen to it in the car so skipping the Paddy power sections isn't easy. I used to like Honigstein but I dunno, I'm finding him a bit arrogant these days. He's turned into the German Balague. I was watching the goals show on BT when Sevilla pulled one back to make it 3-1 against Liverpool and he just adamantly declared with complete authority that it was just a consolation goal and there was no way back for them. Was delighted when he ended up looking an idiot there. The rest of the pundits are all very knowledgeable but just not a huge amount of fun to listen to.

Max Rushden is no James Richardson but I don't hate him like some out there do. Barry has his moments and while not exactly a football guru I think you kind of miss him on TFS. The fact he does the Italian football update is a bit disingenuous now though, as he'd just moan about that section in previous years.

I think the old FW was a perfect mix of both and better than either of the current offerings.

Advertisement