Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Totally Football Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Did anyone else get a lotto ad at the start of the podcast, or was it just my player or the hosting company or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Couldn’t care less about the gambling promos, they are at the end so just stop listening.

Think Totally is better than the guardian FW. Far better contributors and a good focus on certain topics each week, like Belgian footballers recently was a very interesting insight. No fraud like Glendennig involved is also a big relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I was listening to both but I've gone off TFS. He seems to get a lot of stick but I like Max Rushden, just seems like a genuinly nice bloke. FW have more lads I enjoy listening too (Wilson, Barney Ronay, Glendenning, Auclair, Sid, that scandavian lad with the irish accent) although it is missing Rafa at times I think.

The only thing Jimbo is missed for is the opening puns in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I was listening to both but I've gone off TFS. He seems to get a lot of stick but I like Max Rushden, just seems like a genuinly nice bloke. FW have more lads I enjoy listening too (Wilson, Barney Ronay, Glendenning, Auclair, Sid, that scandavian lad with the irish accent) although it is missing Rafa at times I think.

The only thing Jimbo is missed for is the opening puns in my opinion.

Those are some good lads you mentioned but I don't think I've disliked a contributor more than i disliked Daniel Harris the other week. And looking "below the line" and from Jonathan Wilson's comment this week I don't think I'm alone.

I prefer Totally still, I'd put it on before Football Weekly but after Second Captains on a Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nokotan wrote: »
    Those are some good lads you mentioned but I don't think I've disliked a contributor more than i disliked Daniel Harris the other week. And looking "below the line" and from Jonathan Wilson's comment this week I don't think I'm alone.

I prefer Totally still, I'd put it on before Football Weekly but after Second Captains on a Monday.

"Below the line"?

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    "Below the line"?

The comments section on the Guardian page is called that by the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I know him from Twitter as a fellow utd supporter. Missed last week's one but he's turned up the odd time before and I've never liked him.

I know him from Twitter as a fellow utd supporter. Missed last week's one but he's turned up the odd time before and I've never liked him.

He said he doesn't like footballers wearing gloves because he wants them to suffer. He was disappointed United were playing Moscow in October instead of December because he wants them to be freezing and again, suffer.

He sounded like an absolute kill-joy.

He said he doesn't like footballers wearing gloves because he wants them to suffer. He was disappointed United were playing Moscow in October instead of December because he wants them to be freezing and again, suffer.

He sounded like an absolute kill-joy.

To me that reads like very dry humour. I laughed anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Much prefer Rushden as a presenter than Richardson. Having given both some time now, TFS is a lot harder to stick through. There's definitely an element of the same old tired voices on repeat, Auclair, Honigstein, Horncastle, Richardson.

Like Priya Ramesh, Elis James on FW, some refreshing stuff from them.

Think I might drop TFS and give their football league one a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I find Richardson painfully awkward at times which can be difficult to listen to. Also agree with the poster above in that its getting a bit tiresome hearing the same voices every pod. Still tune in regularly but have found myself listening more to FW recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Sorry, I must have missed that. What did JW say?

Sorry, I must have missed that. What did JW say?

I can't remember what he said but it I'm pretty sure he referenced a Man United fan on a different podcast he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

What are people's opinions on the new Golazzo podcast?

Have to say I'm rather disappointed in it. I thought it'd be more focused on the current league. They sort of billed it as something for people who "didn't tune out during their Italian round ups" on the main pod, but that's not what it is.

I'm not going to say it's a bad show, it's just not for me I don't think. I've no memories of Italian football so a nostalgia show really only has so much appeal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on the new Golazzo podcast?

Have to say I'm rather disappointed in it. I thought it'd be more focused on the current league. They sort of billed it as something for people who "didn't tune out during their Italian round ups" on the main pod, but that's not what it is.

I'm not going to say it's a bad show, it's just not for me I don't think. I've no memories of Italian football so a nostalgia show really only has so much appeal to me.

Love it.

Deadly mix of nostalgia and news (although a little light on news yesterday).

Much better listening than any amount of b*llocking on about VAR or the increasingly common just-bitch-about-everything style of contributor that's becoming more and more common.

Golazzo is great, I like listening to the 90's stuff. I'm finding myself deleting the normal Totally Football show though, it's lacking something. Gone back to the guardian, but even that I delete sometimes. If only they could combine the 2 :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Golazzo is great, I like listening to the 90's stuff. I'm finding myself deleting the normal Totally Football show though, it's lacking something. Gone back to the guardian, but even that I delete sometimes. If only they could combine the 2 :pac:

The two are incredibly similar really in format, they talk about the same issues and matches but just different contributors.

I'm not a massive fan of The Game, it's a last resort but they have a weekly debate where they sometimes discuss something not particularly relevant to the weekend's action. Again, I can give or take the Football Ramble but they've got their little quiz in it.

I usually listen to both but if I missed one I wouldn't be too fussed about it.

I do like when David Preece is on Totally, he tends to have some different insights to issues, obviously particularly around goalkeeping.

The problem about too many football podcasts is you're listening to too many podcasts talking about the same games. I already listen to second captains, ideally I'd like just one more. Golazzo is different, I followed serie a for years, back in jimbos day so that suits me nicely.

The Totally Football League show is more my cup of tea than Golazzo. I'm finding myself preferring TFLS to the regular show these days. I'd agree with some of what's said above, I find TFS lacking... something. I don't really know what, I think it might just be the selection of contributors. I still enjoy it, but more and more I'm preferring Football Weekly.

Football Weekly have, IMO, brought in some new contributors this season who have really freshened it up. The guy from Norway with the Irish accent, Priah Ramesh and a few others are fun to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The guy from Norway with the Irish accent, Priah Ramesh and a few others are fun to listen to.

Yeah, those two are very good. And the funny Welsh fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I initially though the loss of James Richardson would be a hammer blow to Football Weekly but after an indifferent start I've quite warmed to Rushden. He threads the line between on topic and off topic with just enough measurement, sometimes swaying either side but not consistently enough to be annoying.

They have also rotated their guests well allowing fresh voices on a regular basis. Even Glendenning doesn't grate as much as he used to. He knows his place and works well as a counterweight to the more technical analysts.

By contrast the totally football show is drowning in its own backslapping rotation of the same tired contributors. James Horncastle seems a decent bloke but Cox and in particular Laurens I can't bear. Add in the cringe worthy sponsorship slot from PP and I've found recently that more often than not I don't bother downloading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I was in the camp of "the more football podcasts, the better". I still am. However, it's interesting that I also share the same views as you guys in that I'm preferring FW instead of TFS lately. Mainly because it's funnier! They go off topic and discuss random things that they shouldn't, but it makes for funny listening I must say. Agree also with the guests on FW getting better, really like Norwegian/Irish guy (Lars). I'm even really liking Max now too! Two things that do really annoy me though - one being Glendenning, of course. I didn't realize I hated him. But once that realization hits you, every word he mutters gets on your nerves. The second being their overly repetitive ongoing jokes - i.e. asking Lars what he had for breakfast every.single.episode, and this "snodgrass vortex". But overall, really enjoying it!

TFS is still good too. Jimbo is there so always worth listening for him. If Laurens was English, he'd be the most obnoxious person ever. But, because of his French accent, his rants and 'banter' are kinda funny. I wasn't a huge fan of Pat Nevin, having listened to him on Newstalk, but he was great on the show last week. One of the best episodes I thought - any maybe that's because they started having a bit of craic for most of the show!

Anyway, I'll certainly continue listening to both of these podcasts, alongside Second Captains and The GAA Hour. I'm grateful for all of them in their own ways, as it makes the commute to work a lot more bearable :)

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I was in the camp of "the more football podcasts, the better". I still am. However, it's interesting that I also share the same views as you guys in that I'm preferring FW instead of TFS lately. Mainly because it's funnier! They go off topic and discuss random things that they shouldn't, but it makes for funny listening I must say. Agree also with the guests on FW getting better, really like Norwegian/Irish guy (Lars). I'm even really liking Max now too! Two things that do really annoy me though - one being Glendenning, of course. I didn't realize I hated him. But once that realization hits you, every word he mutters gets on your nerves. The second being their overly repetitive ongoing jokes - i.e. asking Lars what he had for breakfast every.single.episode, and this "snodgrass vortex". But overall, really enjoying it!

TFS is still good too. Jimbo is there so always worth listening for him. If Laurens was English, he'd be the most obnoxious person ever. But, because of his French accent, his rants and 'banter' are kinda funny. I wasn't a huge fan of Pat Nevin, having listened to him on Newstalk, but he was great on the show last week. One of the best episodes I thought - any maybe that's because they started having a bit of craic for most of the show!

Anyway, I'll certainly continue listening to both of these podcasts, alongside Second Captains and The GAA Hour. I'm grateful for all of them in their own ways, as it makes the commute to work a lot more bearable :)

For me, TFS seems to have forgotten that, IMO, a large part of what made FW successful under Richardson was that it married football analysis with (and I hate to use this word but it's a neat summation) "banter".

I'd agree with you that FW's running jokes are irritating, but the fact that you can still be guaranteed to have the analysis broken up by a few laughs or random anecdotes makes it a more attractive show, IMO.

I'm still enjoying TFS, but it's definitely in second place for me now behind FW, and that's not something I expected to happen.

And as said before, Totally Football League Show is great, probably my favourite of the three.

David Preece, one of the contributors to TTFS, has recently started his own separate podcast, The No.1 Podcast. He's a former goalkeeper and the pod focuses on goalkeeping in particular. So far there's only been three episodes but I'm finding them very interesting.

We all have a certain amount interest in goalkeeping - usually after something calamitous has befallen our team - but it's arguably the least properly analysed or understood position on the football field, so it's very refreshing to hear about the weekends goals from a goalkeeping perspective.

Arghus wrote: »
    David Preece, one of the contributors to TTFS, has recently started his own separate podcast, The No.1 Podcast. He's a former goalkeeper and the pod focuses on goalkeeping in particular. So far there's only been three episodes but I'm finding them very interesting.

We all have a certain amount interest in goalkeeping - usually after something calamitous has befallen our team - but it's arguably the least properly analysed or understood position on the football field, so it's very refreshing to hear about the weekends goals from a goalkeeping perspective.

Nice, I'll listen to this for sure. Very appealing to me as a keeper. What I have found with Preece is that he's extremely kind to keepers. I know "keepers union" and all that, but I just feel he gives the benefit of the doubt too often. Still, always good to have an actual keeper commenting, rather than outfielders providing critical analysis (yes I'm looking at you Gary Neville).

Anyone go to the live show last night in Vicar Street? Jimbo, Horncastle, Julien and Pat Nevin the guests. Thought it was a really good show, very funny! They gave Pat Nevin an awful lot of air time but he was hilarious in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Matt Scott talking about Englands World Cup prospects on the show today...he is cray cray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Anyone go to the live show last night in Vicar Street?

It was a great show, some fantastic stories.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Matt Scott talking about Englands World Cup prospects on the show today...he is cray cray

I was going mad listening to him. Jesus. Some of his comments below, with no hint of irony or sarcasm:

Englands best squad in 30 years
    Englands defensive options are not that bad
    Loves Harry Maguire
    Henderson and Dier are good DM options

• Advertisement

I was going mad listening to him. Jesus. Some of his comments below, with no hint of irony or sarcasm:

Englands best squad in 30 years
    Englands defensive options are not that bad
    Loves Harry Maguire
    Henderson and Dier are good DM options

The hype train has to start somewhere I guess.

Advertisement