Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Totally Football Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

Anybody else find Pat Nevin a little irritating?

He masks himself as being informed but the other day his analysis boiled down to nothing more than “he’s not running enough”...

He’s as much a ‘proper football man’ as Rosenior is and I subscribe to tfs precisely to avoid these types of pundits

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

kmfrob wrote: »
    Anybody else find Pat Nevin a little irritating?

He masks himself as being informed but the other day his analysis boiled down to nothing more than “he’s not running enough”...

He’s as much a ‘proper football man’ as Rosenior is and I subscribe to tfs precisely to avoid these types of pundits

I can take or leave him. He does come up with the odd nugget of good stuff but he has this awful whiff of faux humbleness about him and all that stuff about him being really into indie music just screams of a try-hard.

He's a so-so analyst: I wouldn't turn something off because he's on it, but I wouldn't be dying to hear what he has to say either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pat Nevin is a weird one.

He seems like a thoroughly nice fella, and I think he really knows his stuff. But - and this is an odd thing to say about a contributor to a podcast - i kinda just wish he'd shut up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pat Nevin is a weird one.

He seems like a thoroughly nice fella, and I think he really knows his stuff. But - and this is an odd thing to say about a contributor to a podcast - i kinda just wish he'd shut up a bit more.

Ha, I'm the exact same. Still torn as to whether I like him or not, as a contributor that is, not as a person. He sure does love to talk, especially at the live show :) He's like a character in a sketch show, where he's the lovable nice guy who just talks and talks and talks. Like that scene from Father Ted where yer man asks Ted what his favorite noise is and just continues to talk to himself in the room alone.

Just listened to the Roma special one there, was really good must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That Barney Ronay rant today on football weekly was actually painful to listen to. Might even turn me back on to TFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

That Barney Ronay rant today on football weekly was actually painful to listen to. Might even turn me back on to TFS.

I reckon he was probably so dismissive and condescending because it was Barry he was talking to. I think Barry had some decent points. Barney just sounded like a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hate Barney Ronay so looking forward to listening to this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nokotan wrote: »
    I reckon he was probably so dismissive and condescending because it was Barry he was talking to. I think Barry had some decent points. Barney just sounded like a child.

Definitely, he got a snipe in about talksport and even did a Ray Parlour voice.

However I think he was completely wrong. He was right initially about the X number of semi finals in a row being irrelevant to the current spurs team as most of those were a long time ago, but he then used that as a straw man to prop up his entire argument and beat Barry over the head with. Just shouting witches curse over and over, I don't for one second think he didn't know exactly what he was doing there. Then there was the jibe where he insinuated an ex player like Dean Ashton referring to the mental side of the game should be disregarded. I'm sure a journalist such as himself would have a better insight there, I mean that is the ONE are of the game you can learn nothing from just by watching and writing about what you see. I'm amazed he wasn't called out on any of that, it was almost like they're afraid of him.

I thought Barry actually handled himself ok, I liked his comment on checking with the accountants to see who'll win the final. Picked apart Ronay's nonsense argument perfectly with just one sentence. To say spurs are void of all criticism because they don't have as much money as United is rubbish. Yes Pogba and and Sanchez cost a lot more so it's more difficult for teams likes spurs to compete over the long run... but on the day spurs had Kane and Eriksen on the pitch and I don't think anyone would pick the two united players over them on recent form. They were poor again in a big game, they won't win anything again. They're fair game for criticism, other teams have had it over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Monday was one of the worst podcasts I've suffered through.

riemann wrote: »

It wasn't great. Whenever James Richardson isn't manning the ship things flounder badly.

• Advertisement

riemann wrote: »

I deleted it straight away when I heard jimbo is away. For a few weeks too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Sadly and probably like lots of people I was a huge FW fan, never missed an episode, but since they split down the middle between TF and FW they lost me as a listener. Interesting to see Barry Glendenning on twitter again only today getting into a tiff with Michael Cox. Seems like real petulant stuff from Glendenning really, with the constant jabs at the other journalists.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Sadly and probably like lots of people I was a huge FW fan, never missed an episode, but since they split down the middle between TF and FW they lost me as a listener. Interesting to see Barry Glendenning on twitter again only today getting into a tiff with Michael Cox. Seems like real petulant stuff from Glendenning really, with the constant jabs at the other journalists.

I recall him being fond of engaging in wars of words with people in the comment section too. Don't rate him as a journalist and he seems like a bit of an ejit too.

This week's TTFS wasn't great, but I think it's good show generally; I don't miss FW one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭CiaranW

Yeah, I followed Jimbo to TFS and gave up on FW.
    I was not liking TFS guests all too much and they keep coming back, like Pat Nevin etc. 
    Stopped listening a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

I feel like some of yas are being a bit harsh. This week's TTFS was fine. It was more focused on English stuff than when Jimbo is at the helm, but I've definitely heard more cringe worthy episodes with him at the helm.

I do tend to feel though that since the split we have been left with two lesser podcasts rather than one excellent one. At the split I unsubscribed to the Ramble because I just didn't have the time for 6 football podcasts a week but I've actually started going back to it now as I tend to zone out of TTFS and FW more often now and need a bit of extra chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

James missing so many shows is very, very annoying.

That being said, I actually really like Caroline Barker. There's no awkwardness when she's on, free flowing chat, the right amount of "banter" and doesn't try too hard. Obviously, James is the number one presenter but if Caroline was to ever host a podcast of her own I could certainly listen to it.

dulux99 wrote: »
    We are definitely left with 2 lesser podcast. I usually just listen to one, whichever has the best guests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I actually find myself disagreeing with almost everything Michael Cox has to say on TTFS, add that to his Miguel Delaney-esque levels of pettiness and criticism on twitter and he alone makes TTFS a bit of a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

sheroman01 wrote: »
    if Caroline was to ever host a podcast of her own I could certainly listen to it.

Ok Caroline.

I found last week's output boring, negative and unfortunately predictable.

The amount of sneering that goes on these days is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I stopped listening to both, FW is just a chore with Max Rushden and his showbiz ****e while I tend to forget AC Jimbo is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Orginially started listening to TFS as part of studying up for doing my own podcast and use to love it initially but I don't know what it is , I'm beginning to zone out while listening to it , I think some of them act cleverer than they actually are and its become a little off putting is that only me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I've stopped listening to FW and TTFS, pity tbh.

Where are people going these days for a decent football podcast?

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I've stopped listening to FW and TTFS, pity tbh.

Where are people going these days for a decent football podcast?

Well there's always Second Captains, if you don't listen to it already. Truth be told I found myself growing a bit weary of it at times over the last year: I think Ken is in danger of running out of interest or at least interesting things to say about football. But, then again, I have been listening to them since '06, so maybe I'm the jaded one. I still fully anticipate their World Cup coverage to deliver.

I listen to the BBC World Football Phone In; loads of knowledge there thanks to their very informative correspondants. Sometimes a few very dumb questions, that being the nature of phone-in, but generally pretty interesting. Tim Vickery is a football encyclopaedia.

Another good one is The Game of Our Lives with David Goldblatt. Looks at the game from a broader societal perspective.

If you're looking for something a bit less "heady" you could have a listen to Men In Blazers. Two ex-pat Brits in America shoot the sh!t about the weeks events in - usually - English football. I wouldn't say it's anything amazing, but it has a bit of its own personality at least; so many football pods are fairly indistinguishable.

After that it's diminishing returns as far as I'm concerned.

What is this Conifa shít? And anything with anyone from Paddy Power makes me want to turn off. I like Ian Macintosh but had to unsubscribe from this shíte.

It's the World Cup for teams that aren't in Fifa.

I might have listened - probably would have - but the little icon for the pod has that bookmaker's name on it, which is reason enough for me to delete it.

Yeah the Paddy Power stuff turns my stomach. I realise they have to pay the bills but ugghhhh....

"When the fun stops, stop".... but in the meantime please have as much "fun" as possible and here's more offers and odds because you definitely haven't had enough of that highly lucrative "fun" yet.

They should have taken less money and gone with anything that wasn't betting. I'd happily listen to a couple of ads at the start and midway point. A few people on twitter seemed disappointed with Paddy Power as sponsor too.

Finally!

First WC preview show turned up this morning. Wahey! Football Weekly pods after the games last WC was the greatest combo of matches & coverage I've ever come across.

It's just around the corner folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Solid three episodes to get people in the mood and then a new one after each of the day's games. Spoiled for content.

• Advertisement

Since other football related Pods get mentioned in here from time to time I'll mention another one: The Reducer.

Three fellas review "cultural" items pertaining to football. This could mean football related movies or documentaries, quite a lot of the time this means player biographies - one of the guys, maybe the main one, called Seamus, I think, got a bit of positive heat at one stage because he helped to popularise the semi-forgotten Steve Bruce penned novels - by writing about how singularly awful they were. He was on Second Captains I think once.

Anyway I give this one a bit of a recommendation, but I'm not sure I fully endorse it. It is something a bit different and worth checking out just to see what you make of it and it is undoubtedly quite funny at times - the books and films they talk about are admittedly hillariously bad - but,I dunno, I always feel a bit icky after listening to it. I think the movies getting crucified are one thing, but isn't it just a little snobby to poke fun at books written by guys who happen to be good at football, but who probably in most cases didn't spend too much time in the classroom? I do laugh at it because some of the quotes they pull out of the books are just so undeniably gormlessly funny, but it definitely feels like they are picking the lowest of low hanging fruit. And they are very, very smug about it. So, yeah, I've listened to it and laughed at it, but I'm not sure I really like it. Go figure.

Advertisement