Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Totally Football Podcasts

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Arghus wrote: »
    Since other football related Pods get mentioned in here from time to time I'll mention another one: The Reducer.

Three fellas review "cultural" items pertaining to football. This could mean football related movies or documentaries, quite a lot of the time this means player biographies - one of the guys, maybe the main one, called Seamus, I think, got a bit of positive heat at one stage because he helped to popularise the semi-forgotten Steve Bruce penned novels - by writing about how singularly awful they were. He was on Second Captains I think once.

Anyway I give this one a bit of a recommendation, but I'm not sure I fully endorse it. It is something a bit different and worth checking out just to see what you make of it and it is undoubtedly quite funny at times - the books and films they talk about are admittedly hillariously bad - but,I dunno, I always feel a bit icky after listening to it. I think the movies getting crucified are one thing, but isn't it just a little snobby to poke fun at books written by guys who happen to be good at football, but who probably in most cases didn't spend too much time in the classroom? I do laugh at it because some of the quotes they pull out of the books are just so undeniably gormlessly funny, but it definitely feels like they are picking the lowest of low hanging fruit. And they are very, very smug about it. So, yeah, I've listened to it and laughed at it, but I'm not sure I really like it. Go figure.

Is it very bantery and is there over the top laughing at their own jokes like the Football Ramble?

I've a similar relationship with that show, I don't particularly like any of the contributors and am delighted with Pete isn't on it yet I still listen for something to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nokotan wrote: »
    Is it very bantery and is there over the top laughing at their own jokes like the Football Ramble?

I've a similar relationship with that show, I don't particularly like any of the contributors and am delighted with Pete isn't on it yet I still listen for something to listen to.

No, it's not laddish in quite the same way. They are quite clever, but they really know it and the smugness that goes with that gets unbearable. But I'll still listen every once in a while, but I couldn't listen to more than an episode at a time.

Mind you, I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to the Football Ramble. I presume they all have advertising slogans tattooed on their eyeballs at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Since other football related Pods get mentioned in here from time to time I'll mention another one: The Reducer.

Three fellas review "cultural" items pertaining to football. This could mean football related movies or documentaries, quite a lot of the time this means player biographies - one of the guys, maybe the main one, called Seamus, I think, got a bit of positive heat at one stage because he helped to popularise the semi-forgotten Steve Bruce penned novels - by writing about how singularly awful they were. He was on Second Captains I think once.

Anyway I give this one a bit of a recommendation, but I'm not sure I fully endorse it. It is something a bit different and worth checking out just to see what you make of it and it is undoubtedly quite funny at times - the books and films they talk about are admittedly hillariously bad - but,I dunno, I always feel a bit icky after listening to it. I think the movies getting crucified are one thing, but isn't it just a little snobby to poke fun at books written by guys who happen to be good at football, but who probably in most cases didn't spend too much time in the classroom? I do laugh at it because some of the quotes they pull out of the books are just so undeniably gormlessly funny, but it definitely feels like they are picking the lowest of low hanging fruit. And they are very, very smug about it. So, yeah, I've listened to it and laughed at it, but I'm not sure I really like it. Go figure.

The Reducer is brilliant, as long as I'm familiar with what they're reviewing.

Everyone in the world should listen to the Lovejoy On Football one. And the United Passions one.

While I'm at it, there's a new Athletico Mince today. I literally doubled over laughing when I was walking the dog earlier listening to it. Gangs of the EPL is the funniest thing in the world.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The Reducer is brilliant, as long as I'm familiar with what they're reviewing.

Everyone in the world should listen to the Lovejoy On Football one. And the United Passions one.

While I'm at it, there's a new Athletico Mince today. I literally doubled over laughing when I was walking the dog earlier listening to it. Gangs of the EPL is the funniest thing in the world.

The Lovejoy on football one is 100% the best. It's guilt free as well, because Lovejoy is clearly a complete idiot, but one with a serious ego. Do you not find them a bit smug though?

The Lovejoy on football one is 100% the best. It's guilt free as well, because Lovejoy is clearly a complete idiot, but one with a serious ego. Do you not find them a bit smug though?

Ah, they are, but they usually say "we smugly tear these things apart despite never having done anything to entitle us to be so smug" or something like that.

I know what you mean, but Lovejoy and bleedin FIFA deserve every bit of it. So does that nonsense Adidas "Goal!" movie.

• Advertisement

The Totally Football world cup intro that they have with the Russian-accented dude backward-englishing with background Cossack music is bizarrely addictive - I'd listen to it on a loop -
    "unbelievable, unbelievable this, yes, yes"

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/episodes/somethings-got-to-give/

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Gave The Reducer a go with a listen of the Lovejoy episode. Even with that low hanging fruit the guys are far too amateurish and failed to properly tear his book apart. Resorting to phrases like "He's such a muppet" "What a fúcking simpleton" after discussing every chapter had me hitting the unsubscribe button unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Surely there's some other sponsor out there willing to throw a few quid at The Totally Football Show? :(

sacamano wrote: »
    Surely there's some other sponsor out there willing to throw a few quid at The Totally Football Show? :(

they have a paddy power odds segment don't they - doubt that that is for free.

You have to listen to football weekly from late last night / today. If only for the very end bit where glendenning ends up doing a recital but not the one that he had planned.

• Advertisement

Laughed out loud at Jimbo's intro last night

"... [Germany go out]...we ask, you okay, hun?"

It's interesting (or not) that between the odds bit on TFS and Barry reading out songs on FW, I've pressed stop before the end of the vast majority of pods this WC.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's interesting (or not) that between the odds bit on TFS and Barry reading out songs on FW, I've pressed stop before the end of the vast majority of pods this WC.

the odds bit on totally football has a bit of banter and Glendenning doing "7 days" by Craig David was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Marcela on the pod again tonight. Jesus she's so hard to listen to. Knowledgeable, yes, but her ability to turn a simple answer into a slooooow, loooong meandering response is very annoying after a while.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Marcela on the pod again tonight. Jesus she's so hard to listen to. Knowledgeable, yes, but her ability to turn a simple answer into a slooooow, loooong meandering response is very annoying after a while.

Think she's great to be honest, but, to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

sheroman01 wrote: »

I don't mind her but I'm glad her thoughts about a white, male, European World Cup meandered away because I'm not sure where she was going with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

Are these guys back following the World cup? The feed on my app didn’t seem to be updated but the app in general was giving me trouble.
    It’s only a few weeks since the world cup so no surprises if they want to wait before coming back.

I was looking for a PL preview show so I ended up listening the FW one. Found it quite good but Barry Glendenning seemed to have done very little prep. Few “humorous” antecdotes about goldfinches and fromageries but very little insight into the actual football. Seemed bemused when asked about Damien Delaney, as if it would be a shocking thing for him to comment on Cork City. I just find him tiresome really.

I did like how they covered all of the teams – I had listened to an OTB pod where they only looked at the top six - I think too narrow a focus makes these discussions dull, especially when its generally accepted that City will walk it this year.

Popped up on my app (Podcast Republic) yesterday.

Haven't listened yet.

Listened to the football weekly from back on Monday. Pretty weak stuff really. Loads of the boys laughing at each other's jokes and Glendinning being "hilarious". Actual football insight: close to zero; I think I can live without it this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I think it'll improve once the season gets started. Both podcasts have their off-weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

TF pod is decent this week. Prefer their overview analysis to FW or SC. Thorough without being diluted or without insight.

Not happy with Caroline Barker having taken over the Totally Football League pod. Dont really like her as a presenter, and enjoyed MacIntosh as presenter. Any idea why he stepped back from presenting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Loads of the boys laughing at each other's jokes

It's exactly what a football podcast should be about, not a bunch of wannabe managers advising on formation and game management.

riemann wrote: »
    It's exactly what a football podcast should be about, not a bunch of wannabe managers advising on formation and game management.

I've no problem with that if the people involved are actually funny. Then they can laugh all day and I may even laugh along with them.

Advertisement