Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roach

Options
  • 07-08-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just asking on some advice for some roach.. I've found a lake that has some nice roach.. and I've never went particularly for roach I normally caught them on the fly! Just wondering what would be the best groundbait ? I've been using maggots and get a good few.. one question is when throwing groundbait how much and when will I throw the groundbait in? Every few mins etc? Is there any homemade groundbait that is as good as shop bought? Any groundbait from the shops you'd suggest?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Hi all

Just asking on some advice for some roach.. I've found a lake that has some nice roach.. and I've never went particularly for roach I normally caught them on the fly! Just wondering what would be the best groundbait ? I've been using maggots and get a good few.. one question is when throwing groundbait how much and when will I throw the groundbait in? Every few mins etc? Is there any homemade groundbait that is as good as shop bought? Any groundbait from the shops you'd suggest?

Cheers.

I usually buy the cheapest and i drop few maggots into it.... ideally you wanna feed the place day before..but every 15/20 min small size "ball" (tennis ball) should be more then enough. And maggots are superb.

Now if i have more.money to spend i buy special favoured ground bait i prefer red colour that leave a heavy cloud in water and slowly disolve... in that scenario i feed once every 30 min at most. Local fishing shop will give you more tips about brands...as every lake respond to different flavour.

Hint: in general if you can spend 3e for cheap and up to 10e ground bait i found myself that buying is giving me better results.... i used to do myself homemade mixture.. with corn and some vanilla extract and wholegrain flour...but it never worked as the one in shop.... i would defo spend $ on decent brand if you are after plenty of fish..the difference is day and night. Just make sure that the groundbait is for roach...as it could bring you a lot of different species if buying without advice.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Cheers biker..

One of the mates made the mistake of buying 3kg of bream groundbait lol the result weren't good.. I'm buying a few packets but I'd like to get a big packet so it would save me in the long run if you get me! Any particular brands in big packets like 6kg or 3kg? Just hassle on buying 1kg packets as I'm not near and tackle shops!

When we had the proper groundbait we got around 30 in 3 hours best nearly a pound!
    That's great for the advice also!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Cheers biker..

One of the mates made the mistake of buying 3kg of bream groundbait lol the result weren't good.. I'm buying a few packets but I'd like to get a big packet so it would save me in the long run if you get me! Any particular brands in big packets like 6kg or 3kg? Just hassle on buying 1kg packets as I'm not near and tackle shops!

When we had the proper groundbait we got around 30 in 3 hours best nearly a pound!
    That's great for the advice also!
    Cheers.
    Buy a 25kg bag of bread crumb and then ya can just add senses to it as ya go along, 50/50 should do fine. If the waters fairly clearly or has zebras, make sure darken the mix

Buy a 25kg bag of bread crumb and then ya can just add senses to it as ya go along, 50/50 should do fine. If the waters fairly clearly or has zebras, make sure darken the mix

Cheers..
    Bread crumb is that basically liquidised bread? The water is fairly peaty and brown ish colour. So I could just add on roach attractors then ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

you'll also get a lot more fish the lighter you go. try using a 2lb leader to an 18 or 20 hook. i always find darker groundbait better, i was told roach dont feed comfortably over lighter colour groundbait because it casts a shadow on the bottom. You cant beat maggots for roach. Some anglers use hemp cos if seems to bring out the bigger roach.

• Advertisement

Cheers
    I'll be getting some hemp soon I herd there good.. when we had black deadbait the fish seemed to gather and we got a decent bag of rosch.. just a question how do you keep maggots? Is there anything you could do keep em alive for longer?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cheers
    I'll be getting some hemp soon I herd there good.. when we had black deadbait the fish seemed to gather and we got a decent bag of rosch.. just a question how do you keep maggots? Is there anything you could do keep em alive for longer?
    Cheers

I'm too lazy to type it all but this site just about covers it all... I think.

http://ukcoarseandcarpfishing.com/maggots/storing%20maggots.html

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Cheers..
    Bread crumb is that basically liquidised bread? The water is fairly peaty and brown ish colour. So I could just add on roach attractors then ye?

It's just breadcrumb like, with some additives. About 25 euro for the big bag and will last you ages. get brown crumb not black. Regardless of the water I'd still use a dark mix, use 50% crumb and then whatever after that, any dark sensas brand and you'll be fine, a lot of the cheaper brands are too sandy. Don't overthink it when your only starting out you'll be grand

but them in the fridge. make sure the lids on fully too.

Yea I'm gonna do that what if I put them in a like an container? Like a lunch box but have them in the cup they come with? Good idea or no?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

just buy a bait tub, get a good one theyre about 6 quid. the cheaper ones are ok, but if the maggots get wet or sweat and youve the tub fairly full, they start climbing and with the cheaper bait tubs i find the holes are bigger on the lid. then they can sqeeze out and all over your fridge, it happened me last year!! i always put the tub in a plastic bag tied at the top just incase.

Cheers kildare..

I'll tie a bag over them.. I'd get slaughtered if they came out in the fridge!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

roach are not that fussy once you can get them feeding. If you are fishing on the bottom, or feeder fishing, I usually use a dark ground bait. If fishing up in the water, a much dryer mix in a light colour. This creates a cloud of particles that the fish will explore and feed on. Mix a can of hemp seed to your mix, roach love hemp and can really get them going. Maggots and corn are great hook baits, corn can keep the smaller fish away from the hook.

cheers all..

Lost a big today not sure if it was a roach but it was big! snapped my 4lb line! I was fishing it on the bottom because I lost of my float and didn't bring any spares! I just had a few shots on the line to a size 16 hook with 1 maggot and corn.. Is there any bottom rigs you'd suggest or should I stick with float fishing?
    Cheers.

a maggot and corn might be to big a bait for a size 16, if you an get away with float fishing id stick with it. use a insert waggler, theyre a normal float but the top coloured part is skinnnier than the body, theyre a lot more sensitive, so youll pick up more bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Cheers kildare..

I'll tie a bag over them.. I'd get slaughtered if they came out in the fridge!!!!

Don't tie a bag over them, this will starve them of oxygen and the maggots will die, just buy a decent Baitbox

21/25

Will do

Seen them a while back in store

Cheers.

the maggots are fine in a bag for a few days.I do it all the time. they might get very sweaty though. if that happens, just sprinkle a bit of groundbait on them and mix them around to stop them sweating. I just put them in a bag because i dont want it too obvious that im keeping maggots in the fridge.

If ive maggots there and i know i wont get out to use them i stick them in the freezer to kill them before they turn to castor,dead maggots are great anyway for groundbait. you should but dead maggots in your groundbait instead of live ones because they wont cause ur groundbait balls to crack. And dead maggots wont bury themselves into the silt like live ones do. Ive caught plenty of fish with dead maggots too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Saw this in Angling Times a while back, a bit faffy but worth a read:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/angling-times-uk/20170523/283661119742073

Advertisement