Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Setup - Switch & Router recommendations sought

Options
  • 07-08-2017 3:52pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a while back we ran Cat6 LAN cable under the ground and now have 8 network points scattered around the house, all exiting at a common point in the living room.

Currently, I have a fairly old Cisco 3925 router (with Virgin Media) that only has 4 LAN ports and one of those is already in use with a PhilipsHue leaving me only 3 free connections. On top of that the router repeatedly drops the WiFi connection forcing me to reset it (the wired connection is fine).

I'd like to get full advantage of the set up I have. It sounds like the best bet is an 8-port switch and a new wireless router (bridging Virgin's 3925 modem/router) as most routers only seem to have 4 ports and I don't want to necessarily narrow my choices.

Any suggestions? There's an awful lot of wireless switches out there (e.g. this TP-Link switch for €35 for example) as well as many wireless routers so difficult to gauge what's good.
    And am I adding too much complexity with 3 devices: modem, bridged router, and network switch?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you want to make use of all 8 network connections then you need more than an 8 port switch..
    Get a 16 port switch which will leave you spare ports.
    You have to remember that you have 8 connections as well as a router.
    And you may add an access point at some stage.

Advertisement