Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water damage on floor boards? Any idea of cost.

Options
  • 07-08-2017 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

So, my tenants who've moved out are seeking their deposit back - fair enough.
    The problem is that they've water damaged the floor boards. They (and they admit this) kept plastic flower pots just inside the window on the floor. They put nothing under these and as a consequence the wooden floor boards have been stained by the water. Worse still, it's not a single floor board, but rather the end of 6/7 boards (oak, worn effect, unvarnished finished).

They admit to all of this, and we are trying to find a fair compromise.

They believe this will be a "small" job - simply sand and oil the patch. I'm afraid it's a bigger job, and letting them attempt to fix could make it significantly worse.

Any ideas or advice folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tradesmen.ie or what ever the website is and the cheapest of three quotes seems the fairest way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Get someone in to have a look First and go from there it could be a simple enough fix or replacement,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Zulu wrote: »
    So, my tenants who've moved out are seeking their deposit back - fair enough.
    The problem is that they've water damaged the floor boards. They (and they admit this) kept plastic flower pots just inside the window on the floor. They put nothing under these and as a consequence the wooden floor boards have been stained by the water. Worse still, it's not a single floor board, but rather the end of 6/7 boards (oak, worn effect, unvarnished finished).

They admit to all of this, and we are trying to find a fair compromise.

They believe this will be a "small" job - simply sand and oil the patch. I'm afraid it's a bigger job, and letting them attempt to fix could make it significantly worse.

Any ideas or advice folks?

Get a qualified tradesman to look at it. I think you think is nothing. Of course the tenants will say mass to get the deposit back. Dont give a cent until the job is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So just had another quick chat with them after I found a provision in the lease for damage to the floor - fee of €250.
    I rang them to point this out but they're not happy about it and seem to think "I wont spend the €250 to fix it". Clearly they are missing the point entirely.

Anyway, long story short - they want an opportunity to come see it again and attempt to fix it, which I'm not happy about although I've agreed to it so long as they email through the "solution" or "fix" they want to try. I'm not going to ok something I think will create further damages.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Zulu wrote: »
    So just had another quick chat with them after I found a provision in the lease for damage to the floor - fee of €250.
    I rang them to point this out but they're not happy about it and seem to think "I wont spend the €250 to fix it". Clearly they are missing the point entirely.

Anyway, long story short - they want an opportunity to come see it again and attempt to fix it, which I'm not happy about although I've agreed to it so long as they email through the "solution" or "fix" they want to try. I'm not going to ok something I think will create further damages.

:(
    Do not allow them to do this. Their not happy is not your problem. Get the qualified trades person to do it and stop pandering to ex tenants demands. You will get no peace out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

They damaged them. Don't let them attempt a cheap fix.
    Get it fixed professionally and then give them back the remainder of their deposit.
    Dont even think about entering a negotiation with them.
    I suspect this fix will cost a lot more than you think to get it repaired and blending with the rest of the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You / they will be lucky to get out of this for €250, they didn't care enough to put a dish under the pot to catch water, even of it was a big pot for the want of a fiver this could have been avoided. Get it looked at by a pro, keep receipts... or tell them to get a threes pro's to look at it and give references as to the quality of their work and the final finish you can expect.

Advertisement