Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global evidence of extreme intuitive moral prejudice against atheists

Options
  • 07-08-2017 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting study in Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-017-0151

Apparently, not only religious people, but also atheists, are likely to intuitively associate atheism with moral transgressions:
    Here, we quantify moral distrust of atheists by applying well-tested measures in a large global sample (N = 3,256; 13 diverse countries). Consistent with cultural evolutionary theories of religion and morality, people in most—but not all— of these countries viewed extreme moral violations as representative of atheists. Notably, anti-atheist prejudice was even evident among atheist participants around the world. The results contrast with recent polls that do not find self-reported moral prejudice against atheists in highly secular countries, and imply that the recent rise in secularism in Western countries has not overwritten intuitive anti-atheist prejudice. Entrenched moral suspicion of atheists suggests that religion’s powerful influence on moral judgements persists, even among non-believers in secular societies.

I suppose one possible logical argument is that given two identical persons, the religious one has additional external constraints against immorality, even if the two have identical internal constraints.

The study uses a logical fallacy to explore the association between religiosity and morality, whereas previous studies have asked the question directly. So this study would be looking at subconscious/unconscious bias rather than conscious views.

Any thoughts?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I haven't read the study; just media reports about it.

You mention "one possible logical argument"; the idea that the religious person's fear of divine punishment, even if unfounded in reality, nevertheless does operate to constrain grossly immoral behaviour.

While it's a "possible logical argument", as far as I can tell from the reports it's not one that the study explored. The study didn't ask participants why they conceived of the (hypothetical) serial killer as more likely to be atheist than religious; it just observed that they did conceive of him in that way.

An equally possible logical argument has causation working the other way; the kind of gross personality disorder that contributes to someone being a serial killer might also contribute to them being alienated from religion. So our hypothetical serial killer might not be a serial killer because he's an atheist, lacking in the moral restraints that arise from religious belief. Rather, he might be an atheist because he's a serial killer, lacking in the sense of empathy which both prevents us from hurting people and sustains the kind of social relationships that contribute to religiosity.

Rereading the above, I feel I'm not being very clear here. But maybe the takeaway is this; perhaps the study doesn't show preconceptions about atheists so much as it shows preconceptions about serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Given religion is one of the popular hypotheses for certain types of serial killing (usually killing prostitutes - "religious mania" was one suggestion for Jack the Ripper), that's a bit of an odd one. Then again, I don't know how often religion is actually proven to be a causal factor for that versus just that prostitutes have always tended to be more accessible victims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

From the study
    We developed a measure to assess extreme anti-atheist prejudice by using a simple experimental design that targets intuitive biases 19 . In this task, participants read a description of a man who tortures animals as a child then as an adult exhibits escalating violence culminating with the murder and mutilation of five homeless people. Then, participants are judged whether it is more probable that the villain is (A) a teacher or (B) a teacher who either (manipulated between subjects) is a religious believer or does not believe in god(s). Thus, no individual participant is directly asked whether they think the perpetrator is or is not a believer. Instead, the conjunction fallacy 27 rates (choosing option B—a logically incorrect answer) between conditions can be used to infer indirectly the degree to which a description of a serial murderer is intuitively seen as more representative of religious people or atheists, respectively.

So we start with a hypothetical serial killer who is a teacher and seek to identify whether that person is religious or an atheist. Surely the condition of the serial killer being a teacher confounds the results, as to my mind what has been observed here is equally whether or not teachers are atheists or religious as whether or serial killers are atheists or religious. I wonder whether the conjunction fallacy the authors are trying to avoid is actually leaving them with an association fallacy in its place. (e.g. most teachers are religious, most teachers are not serial killers -> atheist teacher more likely to be the serial killer).

Interesting also that 69% of the participants considered were female. I'd wonder is that gender imbalance reflective of the demographic being assessed?

Samaris wrote: »
    Given religion is one of the popular hypotheses for certain types of serial killing (usually killing prostitutes - "religious mania" was one suggestion for Jack the Ripper), that's a bit of an odd one. Then again, I don't know how often religion is actually proven to be a causal factor for that versus just that prostitutes have always tended to be more accessible victims.

True, but the study is about preconception and prejudice, not fact. What it could show us is simply that most of us have many dubious preconceptions and prejudices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

smacl wrote: »
    True, but the study is about preconception and prejudice, not fact. What it could show us is simply that most of us have many dubious preconceptions and prejudices.

True, and I suppose if one just happens to not hold that particular bias, it looks a bit odd and illogical to them. But then again I have my own prejudices that would show up in other topics. Would not have thought that that particular one was quite so widespread though and it's interesting that even atheists have a certain inbuilt prejudice against atheists, assuming that the results do actually reflect peoples beliefs rather than people being thrown off by the teacher bit.

Samaris wrote: »
    it's interesting that even atheists have a certain inbuilt prejudice against atheists, assuming that the results do actually reflect peoples beliefs rather than people being thrown off by the teacher bit.

I'm not entirely convinced of the conclusion drawn here without digging a bit more into the source data. Firstly were there enough atheists in the sample used to make statements about about atheists in general, secondly whether atheists have enough in common with one another that their prejudices can be considered generically. My personal belief (or prejudice even) is that atheism says so little about a person that it is not a useful trait by which to group people.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Rereading the above, I feel I'm not being very clear here. But maybe the takeaway is this; perhaps the study doesn't show preconceptions about atheists so much as it shows preconceptions about serial killers.

Or teachers ;)

I'm not entirely convinced of the conclusion drawn here without digging a bit more into the source data. Firstly were there enough atheists in the sample used to make statements about about atheists in general, secondly whether atheists have enough in common with one another that their prejudices can be considered generically. My personal belief (or prejudice even) is that atheism says so little about a person that it is not a useful trait by which to group people.
    In regard to most things I think it's probably not a useful trait. But if we're attempting to measure negative/prejudicial views of atheism then, yeah, you'd expect atheist themselves to display less of this than theist do, wouldn't you? The striking thing in this survey was that even atheists seemed to have negative perceptions of atheism as an indicator of propensity to be a serial killer (if indeed the survey did accurately measure that).

In regard to most things I think it's probably not a useful trait. But if we're attempting to measure negative/prejudicial views of atheism then, yeah, you'd expect atheist themselves to display less of this than theist do, wouldn't you? The striking thing in this survey was that even atheists seemed to have negative perceptions of atheism as an indicator of propensity to be a serial killer (if indeed the survey did accurately measure that).

I think it would take a more detailed look at the data collected, which I've yet to do. Briefly reading the article shows that those questioned were asked how much they believed in God on a scale of 0 to 100, where those answering 0 are considered atheists, which is fair enough. While the overall sample size was large, whether the subset of atheists was large enough to make general statements about the views of atheists remains to be seen, as does the notion that there is any sense in making statements about common views of atheists beyond the fact that they believe in a god or gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

There were 553 in the study, which is a decent sized sample, and multiples of the usual sample sizes in social studies. That sort of sample size would yield results applicable to a 'general population' - it's large enough to do a voting intentions study.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think I'd be inclined to share the bias against atheists. It does have a logical basis, as already pointed out. Religious people have an extra restraint that atheists do not have. Or to put it another way, atheists are more liberated.
    And as quoted in the OP link ...
    The ancient Chinese philosopher Mozi claimed that belief in ghosts was essential for moral restraint
    Ghosts can punish you even if you are above the law, and even after you are dead. So even the most powerful/influential/corrupt members of society can still have their behaviour restrained by ghosts (provided the person is superstitious).

However, in the interests of balance, it might have been interesting to pose this additional question in the survey;

A notoriously rich playboy, a former teacher, is known for his wild parties aboard his yacht, and has a reputation among the supermodel ladies for being great in bed.
    In your opinion is he more likely to be a) religious or b) non-religious?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

recedite wrote: »
    A notoriously rich playboy, a former teacher, is known for his wild parties aboard his yacht, and has a reputation among the supermodel ladies for being great in bed.
    In your opinion is he more likely to be a) religious or b) non-religious?
    :pac:

A former teacher now has a yacht? Must be an evangelical christian! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

On a quick search

chalabi-feature-prisons.png?quality=90&strip=info&w=575&ssl=1

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    On a quick search

chalabi-feature-prisons.png?quality=90&strip=info&w=575&ssl=1

That kind of highlights the dangers of reading too much into correlation. e.g. I would guess those down as having Native American down as their religion end up in prison primarily because Native Americans are a disadvantaged group which results in increased crime and hence prison. I would doubt that their religious leanings have a major causative effect. Grouping a trait such as atheism in with positive religious beliefs is similarly dangerous, as while a religious belief might say something about a persons stated morality, a lack of religious belief says nothing either way.

That kind of highlights the dangers of reading too much into correlation. e.g. I would guess those down as having Native American down as their religion end up in prison primarily because Native Americans are a disadvantaged group which results in increased crime and hence prison. I would doubt that their religious leanings have a major causative effect. Grouping a trait such as atheism in with positive religious beliefs is similarly dangerous, as while a religious belief might say something about a persons stated morality, a lack of religious belief says nothing either way.

there has to be some self selection bias, on the face of it we should all become Penticostal especially since that is a mostly Black religion ( I think) so they are batting it out of the park but self selection has to play a part
    The Hindu/Muslim paradox might be more interesting, does being a Hindu just give you more chill than being Muslim :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,899 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't know that I'd say the study presented evidence of intuitive moral prejudice against atheists. I would suggest that what the study really presents is that people believe that a person who commits immoral acts is a person who does not believe in a deity or deities. It's more of a commentary on the actions of those who profess a belief in a deity or deities, than those who do not. By definition, the fact that a person does not believe in a deity or deities would mean they were an atheist. But it requires backwards rationalisation after the fact to conclude that a person who commits an immoral act is a person who does not believe in a deity or deities.

It's always presented something of a moral quandary to me to associate a person with a particular belief or non-belief on the basis of their actions, as in whether they were committing acts because they associated the moral righteousness of their actions with the belief that their actions were what their particular deity or deities would have wanted of them, or would have been appeased by or approve of their behaviour. An example of this would be a person who commits an act because they believe it's what their... well, God, would want. I've always wondered about how they could be so certain that their behaviour or their way of thinking is what their God would want of them. This suggests to me that such a person is able to justify their immoral behaviour as morally justifiable to themselves. They don't care for the opinions of mere mortals as such because they believe that their God wants them to commit what we would see as immoral acts. This study however, doesn't appear to be testing that particular phenomenon.

A good example of the backwards rationalisation I'm talking about would be the third supplementary study that was done -

Study S3 Overview. Our primary cross-cultural investigation suggested that extreme moral violations are intuitively associated with atheists. However, it is possible that other extreme moral violations might, in fact, suggest a religious perpetrator. Specifically, given the prominence of sex abuse scandals in the Catholic church, it is possible that people might intuitively assume that the perpetrators of chronic child molestation might in fact be men of the cloth. In addition, none of our previous studies explored whether moral impropriety might outweigh other overt cues that one is religious in people’s intuitive attributions of atheism to moral violators. Study S3 tested whether people would assume that a serial child molester who also happens to be a priest is, in fact, a priest who does not believe in God.

Method. We recruited 265 participants from the University of Kentucky campus in Lexington, KY, USA (Age: M = 21.7, SD = 6.7; Belief in God [0-100]: M = 70.8, SD = 34.1; 57% female). We presented participants with the following vignette [experimental conditions in brackets]:

“Keith is a well-respected figure in his community. All his friends describe him as a very caring and friendly 60-year-old-man. However, Keith actually spends most of his free time luring young boys into his office to molest them. In the past 10 years, Keith has molested over 30 boys. Which is more probable? a) Keith is a priest b) Keith is a priest and [believes/ does not believe] in God”

Results. As with main analyses, we utilized Bayesian estimation and present model predicted conjunction error probabilities [with 95% HPDIs]. Given a description of a serial child molesting priest, participants were more likely to commit conjunction errors for targets who do not believe in God, .57 [.49, .65], than targets who do believe in God, .40 [.32, .48], posterior probability = .998.

Summary. Study S3 suggests that intuitive moral distrust extends to moral violations that could possibly be popularly associated with religious people (child molestation), given current events. Further, a description of immorality seemingly outweighed even overt evidence of religiosity, leading people to nonetheless assume that a perpetrator of serial child molestation does not believe in God, even though he is a priest.

Source: Global evidence of extreme intuitive moral prejudice against atheists, Supplementary Information

This example, to me at least, suggests that it doesn't mean that people believe that atheists are necessarily more likely to abuse children, but rather that people who abuse children are unlikely to believe in God. It's rather the other way round, it's the opposite of the correlation/causation fallacy, and that's what appears to be causing scientists so much confusion. It's not a prejudice against atheists as such, but more a belief that people who commit such acts are unlikely to believe in God.

There was a good example of this in a documentary I watched last night called "The Betrayed Girls The Rochdale Scandal (2017) Documentary", where Sara Rowbotham who was the manager of the Rochdale Crisis Intervention Team at the time, presented her evidence to the religious leaders in the community who perpetrated these acts, and they basically told her it had nothing to do with them. These men didn't commit these acts because they believed that it was what their God would have wanted; they committed these acts because it was what they themselves wanted to do.

This conclusion of course would mean that although they could by definition be defined as atheist, it would be wrong to assume that their behaviour was as a result of their atheism.

Unrelated to the above, but this was a rather unfortunate acronym, albeit accurate -

This diverse sample allowed us to extend our investigation well beyond the WEIRD (Western, educated, industrialized, rich, democratic) samples that predominate the social sciences

And right after the example of the child abusing priest, they listed the sampling details and payment methods -

424663.png

Something very... "off", about giving candy to students as a reward for their participation.

there has to be some self selection bias, on the face of it we should all become Penticostal especially since that is a mostly Black religion ( I think) so they are batting it out of the park but self selection has to play a part
    The Hindu/Muslim paradox might be more interesting, does being a Hindu just give you more chill than being Muslim :pac:
    Pentecostal Christianity is not "mostly Black" in the US.

Still, as others have already said, this data about the faith of prisoners is pretty meaningless unless you control for other factors which are known to be strongly correlated with imprisonment - age, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnic background. I'm gonna hazard a guess that the overrepresentation of Muslims in the American prison system has nothing to do with Islam, and much to do with race.

And, as regards the Hindu/Muslim thing, while Hindus and Muslims are from very similar ethnic communities in the Indian subcontinent, they're from quite different ethnic communities in the US. And I think if you drill down into it you might find socioecomic differences also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I would suggest that what the study really presents is that people believe that a person who commits immoral acts is a person who does not believe in a deity or deities.

Which, of course, would be a ridiculous belief for them to hold given that theists are over, and atheist under, represented in many prisons...... given the large quantity of theists who do in fact commit immoral acts........ and of course given the horrific and immoral acts committed not just by people who believe in a deity but specifically BECAUSE they believe in the deity and what they believe about said deity.

It is interesting when we look at history though and take random events like the great riots in canada when the police went on strike........ the people looting and visiting abuse and assault on their fellow human beings did not appear to show any clear deist, atheist or theist divides. It appears belief in a deity rarely mediates or prevents immoral action in such scenarios. Rather people, regardless of their theistic beliefs, quickly display the attributes of being the animal that we know ourselves to be, rather than the nobel creature we aspire on occasion to consider ourselves to be.
    I've always wondered about how they could be so certain that their behaviour or their way of thinking is what their God would want of them.

I would guess that in many cases the answer to that is the same answer to the question many atheists ask as to why the theist believes there even is a god in the first place. And that answer is merely "faith".

If you can accept that people, without any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning can think there is a god in the first place off the back of mere "faith"........ then I can not see it as a difficult step that their belief in some specific precept related to that god could be explained in that way too.

The only question then becomes how big a problem is unsubstantiated "faith" in our world, and what can and should we do about it.

The example that of course always rushes to my mind of such actions is that of parents watching their children die, often painfully, of otherwise easily treatable or manageable conditions merely because they not only believe there is a god but they believe medical intervention is an affront to that god. We have cases reaching the courts in places like the US of such needless infant and child deaths. And there was a Time Magazine article on the subject.

And the potential deranging effects of faith and religion are clear in such cases. That religion could warp a parents priorities to such a degree that they not only watch their child die needlessly, but they do so thinking they are doing the absolute best thing a parent can do for a child......... is a horror that I doubt I need to insult anyone's intelligence here by describing. And often by people who would then turn around and describe abortion in the middle of the first trimester to be some moral evil and "murder".

I suspect many people are not looking at what they think their god wants of them however. I suspect they themselves are deciding what they thing is right and wrong and then retrospectively rubber stamping that with "god" later. Especially when they themselves have no arguments for or against that moral precept.

For example I am often told that god is a rational being. I am also often told that god is against homosexuals and homosexuality. So if god is a rational being he must have rational arguments that we could POTENTIALLY discern for his holding that position. I have invited theists to work with me on ruminating on what that reasoning might be. They refuse to, or simply can not do so. They seem to be aware of no rational reason at all why a deity would have an issue with homosexuality. It never seems to occur to them that perhaps, therefore, their assumption that their god DOES have an issue with homosexuality is in fact flawed. Rather I suspect they themselves are against homosexuality and have merely rubber stamped their unsubstantiated moral bias retrospectively with gods vicarious opinions.

Pentecostal Christianity is not "mostly Black" in the US.

Still, as others have already said, this data about the faith of prisoners is pretty meaningless unless you control for other factors which are known to be strongly correlated with imprisonment - age, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnic background. I'm gonna hazard a guess that the overrepresentation of Muslims in the American prison system has nothing to do with Islam, and much to do with race.

And, as regards the Hindu/Muslim thing, while Hindus and Muslims are from very similar ethnic communities in the Indian subcontinent, they're from quite different ethnic communities in the US. And I think if you drill down into it you might find socioecomic differences also.

in this case you wouldn't have to control for age or gender , I'd expect them to be consistent . As for the Muslim Hindu paradox probably a mix, People from Pakistan and India are pretty much the same ethnically, all that separates them is culture which was decided by religion so you cant control for it , its a factor in behaviour. Probably would be unfair to directly compare Somali muslims for example to Hindus for example as the Somalis are bound to have lower social capital, however given the separatist nature of Islam their offspring are going to have more difficulties caused directly by their religion.

• Advertisement

in this case you wouldn't have to control for age or gender , I'd expect them to be consistent . As for the Muslim Hindu paradox probably a mix, People from Pakistan and India are pretty much the same ethnically, all that separates them is culture which was decided by religion so you cant control for it , its a factor in behaviour. Probably would be unfair to directly compare Somali muslims for example to Hindus for example as the Somalis are bound to have lower social capital, however given the separatist nature of Islam their offspring are going to have more difficulties caused directly by their religion.
    Only about 33% of American Muslims are of Indian subcontinent origin. About 25% are from an Arab background and another 25% are from an African-American background. The remaining one-sixth are diverse, but the largest component is people from various American backgrounds (White, Hispanic, etc) who have converted, or the descendants of such. The number of Somalis would be tiny.

The over-representation of Muslims in the prison population is likely to be closely linked to the over-representation of African-Americans, would be my guess.

There's a phenomenon observed in the US in which people from socially disfunctional backgrounds and who suffer from this and are seeking to reinvent themselves have a (relatively) high propensity to convert to Islam (just as a couple of generations ago an Irish person wanting to commit to changing his life might give up the drink). In fact, there's quite a lot of conversions to Islam by people already in prison. So Islam is already associated, to some degree, with social and economic disadvantage; in the US it's to some extent a religion of the dispossessed. So it's not completely surprising to see it over-represented in the prison population.

This example, to me at least, suggests that it doesn't mean that people believe that atheists are necessarily more likely to abuse children, but rather that people who abuse children are unlikely to believe in God. It's rather the other way round, it's the opposite of the correlation/causation fallacy, and that's what appears to be causing scientists so much confusion. It's not a prejudice against atheists as such, but more a belief that people who commit such acts are unlikely to believe in God.

If we take it that an atheist is someone who is unlikely to believe in a God, doesn't your last sentence there come out as:

It's not a prejudice against those who are unlikely to believe in God as such, but more a belief that people who commit such acts are unlikely to believe in God.

The latter does seem remarkably similar to the former...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The over-representation of Muslims in the prison population is likely to be closely linked to the over-representation of African-Americans, would be my guess.

a % of Muslims in the US are African American so some overlap, seems like they should have chosen Penticostal :D

There's a phenomenon observed in the US in which people from socially disfunctional backgrounds and who suffer from this and are seeking to reinvent themselves have a (relatively) high propensity to convert to Islam (just as a couple of generations ago an Irish person wanting to commit to changing his life might give up the drink). In fact, there's quite a lot of conversions to Islam by people already in prison. So Islam is already associated, to some degree, with social and economic disadvantage; in the US it's to some extent a religion of the dispossessed. So it's not completely surprising to see it over-represented in the prison population.

It seems to be the prison conversion of choice, I don't know how the stats are put together. If you are keeping crime stats your religion on entry would be more relevant that the religion you leave with.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, I think it's quite different.

The first is an argument that atheists will tend to be wicked, since they lack the moral constraints imposed by a fear of inexorable divine retribution.

The second is an argument that the kind of person who become a serial killer tends to have the kind of personality which doesn't make for religiosity. (They are psychopaths; they don't seek the validation of the approval/support of others, which is something people often find in religion.)

The implication of the first argument is that every atheist is at least suspect of a tendency to wickness (even if not to the point of being a serial killer).

The second argument has no such implications. A whole variety of factors can account for people embracing atheism, and psychopathy is (hopefully) a factor only in small minority of cases.

The first is an argument that atheists will tend to be wicked, since they lack the moral constraints imposed by a fear of inexorable divine retribution.

The second is an argument that the kind of person who become a serial killer tends to have the kind of personality which doesn't make for religiosity. (They are psychopaths; they don't seek the validation of the approval/support of others, which is something people often find in religion.)

The implication of the first argument is that every atheist is at least suspect of a tendency to wickness (even if not to the point of being a serial killer).

The second argument has no such implications. A whole variety of factors can account for people embracing atheism, and psychopathy is (hopefully) a factor only in small minority of cases.

I take your point - however, the effect held even for minor wrongdoing:
    Supplementary Study S1 found that, even when the experiment more symmetrically manipulates belief versus disbelief in god(s) and tests a more minor moral violation (for example, not paying for dinner in a restaurant), people still associate immorality more with atheists than with believers (posterior probability = 0.981).

I don't think most people would require someone to be a psychopath to avoid paying for dinner in a restaurant.

Also, the study is a test of unconscious bias, which means that the participants aren't engaged in rational analysis of the kind you're suggesting - indeed, rational analysis would (or at least should) lead to the spotting of the fallacy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,899 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If we take it that an atheist is someone who is unlikely to believe in a God, doesn't your last sentence there come out as:

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The difference though is perception and expectation, and that's why the conjunction fallacy test was being used. You'd have to read that paragraph in the context of what I had said previous to that -

I don't know that I'd say the study presented evidence of intuitive moral prejudice against atheists. I would suggest that what the study really presents is that people believe that a person who commits immoral acts is a person who does not believe in a deity or deities. It's more of a commentary on the actions of those who profess a belief in a deity or deities, than those who do not. By definition, the fact that a person does not believe in a deity or deities would mean they were an atheist. But it requires backwards rationalisation after the fact to conclude that a person who commits an immoral act is a person who does not believe in a deity or deities.

The priest may well profess a belief in God, and given their occupation, it's not an unreasonable assumption, but the fact that they have committed immoral acts, means we can only make a judgement after the fact that if they believed in God, they would not commit such acts. Therefore if we can conclude that they do not believe in God, that would mean they are atheist.

It's not a bias or prejudice against atheists, it's not even a commentary about atheism. It's a judgement on a person who claims to believe in God, but by their behaviour, contradicts that assertion.

I think the study makes a valid hypothesis, but came to the wrong conclusions regarding it's findings. I think a different methodology, without trying to be too clever in using the conjunction fallacy (because people don't use universal logic to determine the 'correct' answer, they make assumptions they assume are logical), would have yielded a different result, and not the overwhelming negative view of atheists that they're putting forward in that study.

The difference though is perception and expectation, and that's why the conjunction fallacy test was being used. You'd have to read that paragraph in the context of what I had said previous to that -

The priest may well profess a belief in God, and given their occupation, it's not an unreasonable assumption, but the fact that they have committed immoral acts, means we can only make a judgement after the fact that if they believed in God, they would not commit such acts. Therefore if we can conclude that they do not believe in God, that would mean they are atheist.

It's not a bias or prejudice against atheists, it's not even a commentary about atheism. It's a judgement on a person who claims to believe in God, but by their behaviour, contradicts that assertion.

I think the study makes a valid hypothesis, but came to the wrong conclusions regarding it's findings. I think a different methodology, without trying to be too clever in using the conjunction fallacy (because people don't use universal logic to determine the 'correct' answer, they make assumptions they assume are logical), would have yielded a different result, and not the overwhelming negative view of atheists that they're putting forward in that study.

The point of using the conjunction fallacy, though, is that it shows when a "believable narrative" beats rationality. So what the study shows is that without thinking about it, people find the narrative of an atheist committing immoral actions more believable than that of a believer doing so. It doesn't tell us, or rely on, why that's so.

That might be an uncomfortable observation for us atheists, and it's also wrong as a heuristic, but it's an observation. You do sound to me somewhat as if you'd prefer the observation to be different.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The implication of the first argument is that every atheist is at least suspect of a tendency to wickedness (even if not to the point of being a serial killer).

Perhaps we can introduce a third argument here; the idea that such people might tend towards being more self-reliant and "well rounded" than those who rely on superstition and the approval of others who would mould their actions?
    And could being "well rounded" mitigate or balance against the negativity of the former two tendencies? Maybe not in terms of perception, but in reality. Which would explain the difference between the stats on people's perception of atheists and the stats on their actual jail time.

Also, the study is a test of unconscious bias, which means that the participants aren't engaged in rational analysis of the kind you're suggesting - indeed, rational analysis would (or at least should) lead to the spotting of the fallacy.
    Yes. As far as I can see the study shows, or claims to show, that people think atheists are more likely to engage in immoral behavior than theists, but it makes no exploration at all of why people believe that. The "it's because they're not afraid of hell!" account is a speculative explanation offered by people talking about the study; it's not something that emerges from the study itself.

Assume that the conclusion of the study is valid, and that people do generally expect atheists to be more likely to act immorally than theists. It's quite possible that if you asked the study subjects why they thought atheists more likely to be immoral they would struggle to explain it. The "not afraid of hell" explanation looks a bit like a rationalisation to me. The true explanation could be experiential rather than rational. People may be raised in a culture which generally harbours some degree of prejudice against atheists, and they may absorb this themselves. Or, people's own encounters with individual atheists may have led them to see atheists as more independent-minded, more self-directed, less conformist, more unconventional, and they may associate these traits will a greater willingness to flout convention and, therefore, conventional morality. But if you're asked why you expect atheists to be wicked and depraved and you've never really thought about it very much, it's much easier to say "not afraid of hell".

• Advertisement

Assume that the conclusion of the study is valid, and that people do generally expect atheists to be more likely to act immorally than theists. It's quite possible that if you asked the study subjects why they thought atheists more likely to be immoral they would struggle to explain it. The "not afraid of hell" explanation looks a bit like a rationalisation to me. The true explanation could be experiential rather than rational. People may be raised in a culture which generally harbours some degree of prejudice against atheists, and they may absorb this themselves. Or, people's own encounters with individual atheists may have led them to see atheists as more independent-minded, more self-directed, less conformist, more unconventional, and they may associate these traits will a greater willingness to flout convention and, therefore, conventional morality. But if you're asked why you expect atheists to be wicked and depraved and you've never really thought about it very much, it's much easier to say "not afraid of hell".

I tend to agree with this, in that very many atheists are first generation atheists and still carry the prejudices held by the religious majority which they've come from. One common prejudice of most large groups is greater suspicion of those who are not part of that group, and I suspect that is what we're seeing in this study. What would make an interesting additional control to the study would be to repeat it substituting atheist with alternative ethnic, social or other minorities, the idea being to ascertain whether the prejudice is specific to atheists or more general to poorly understood minority groups.

Advertisement