Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflux...help!!

Options
  • 07-08-2017 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

Having a difficult time with baby' reflux and trapped wind. He is 3 months now and feeding is still difficult. He was tongue tied which has been sorted now. He was feeding great after that...had him up to 6oz bottles but last 2 weeks he is back to square one...barely getting 3oz into him. Have tried gripe water, infacol and baby gaviscon..which worked great but made him extremely constipated. Last resort now is changing his formula. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Just being told he will grow out of it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

What formula are you using? Try the green from birth aptamil formula called reflux and regurgitation. Worked the treat for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Having a difficult time with baby' reflux and trapped wind. He is 3 months now and feeding is still difficult. He was tongue tied which has been sorted now. He was feeding great after that...had him up to 6oz bottles but last 2 weeks he is back to square one...barely getting 3oz into him. Have tried gripe water, infacol and baby gaviscon..which worked great but made him extremely constipated. Last resort now is changing his formula. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Just being told he will grow out of it!!

Have you considered a cow milk protein allergy? My LO had that and we struggled with reflux something awful until we realised that. Might be worth trying anti reflux formula and if that doesn't work then trying nutramigin or another of the cow milk protein allergy formulas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Infocol will help and I think we went to the Doctor and got Zantac Ranitidine prescribed. Made a massive difference in couple of days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Go to the doctor (if you haven't)Definitely consider a cow's milk or lactose allergy.We had zantac prescribed for our girl, she had silent reflux.I don't think they can test for an allergy at this age (although I am open to correction on that), so it may be trial and error....you could try changing formula first and seeing if it helps, and then see about a prescription if not, but I would recommend going to see the doctor first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Our son suffered from reflux. I'd second going to see a doctor. Ideas are:
    - cow milk allergy?
    - try a thicker milk - the physics means it's less likely to come back up
    - try an anti-acid like omeprazole,
    - raise up the head of his cot, especially if he's having bottles right before lying down (pretty much unavoidable for a 3 month old baby).
    - also, try keeping him upright for a bit after each feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Def visit your GP. My own GP wasn't very educated in reflux/CMPI so I joined a Facebook group called Surving Reflux Ireland who helped me diagnose to a certain extent and then got the right meds and milk from GP. It did take a few months to get it right as so many options and every baby is different.
    Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Also be aware....don't use a thicker milk with an anti-reflux medication.This does not work.
    When I mentioned changing changing formula I meant to either a thicker formula or to a hypoallergenic one (right word?I mean suitable for cows milk allergies :-) )they are available in the pharmacy, but talk to your doctor before you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah god, reflux is the pits.

3 months... another small bit to go, our youngest grew that little valve at the top of the tummy, or whatever the theory is, at around 16 weeks. I had her at the GP, but as long as she was gaining weight, she was deemed ok. It is very distressing though. I was literally housebound, except for maybe an hour a day when she slept and I could take her for a walk.

Being in a slightly upright position helped a bit for us, gravity seemed to keep everything in the tummy better, but every baby is different.

We Used a sling or carrier
    Had the buggy in a slightly raised position at the head end
    We Put a wedge under the cot mattress at the head end to slope it upwards slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicki1

Hi, my little one had really bad reflux,(didnt have trapped wind or colic though) I went through bibs after bibs,muslin cloths..she used to get up her whole bottle 2mins after drinking was very stressful..
    Then I discovered Carobel. Its a white powder u mix with babys milk to thicken the milk so it will stay down. You can get it in the chemist. It was a lifesaver for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭talla10

My 3 kids all have/had severe reflux, 1 ended up in Hospital for a week because he wasn't putting on weight so I know the hell you are going through.

All my kids were on Zantac & Losec. You have to fight to get both but they do make a massive difference once you figure out how to get the child to take it :(

They were all put on Neocate. It's a prescribed formula used primarily for children who are lactose intolerant and for reflux. It costs €40 a tin and you get 3 days out of one tin. Luckily it's on the Drug Refund scheme so if you haven't register for that and all meds, formula will cost is €144 per month.

1 of my kids also got Gaviscon in the bottle the other 2 have Carabel which we find works much better. We used Doc Brown bottles as well and find they make a difference.

We raised the cot at a slant as well to try and help the acid stay down the stomach. Each child is different and my eldest was 1.5 years old before he settled, second lad was 1 and my daughter has started to settle after 9 months.

Feel free to PM me OP if I can be of any help it's a nightmare to deal with

• Advertisement
Advertisement