Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM or PSU Problem?

Options
  • 07-08-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi guys I have a problem with my pc. While I'm on it, it can suddenly shut off and when it attempts to restart the fans will get crazy loud and I have to hard shut down.

Here's my build:

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K
    Mobo - ASRock Z75 Pro3
    GPU - Nividia Geforce 770GTX
    RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit
    PSU - Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular
    SSD - Samsung SSD 840 120GB
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    Case - Cooltek Antiphon Black
    Optical Drive - LiteOn iHAS124-04
    Net Card - ASUS PCE-N15
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    OS - MS Windows 8 64-Bit (SB)

This is a problem I've been having for the last 2 years but it was still working up until about 6 months ago despite the problem. But 6 months ago it will just shut off almost straight away. I was too busy and also just got by without it so I'm only trying to fix it now.

I initially thought it was overheating but back when I was able to still boot it, I often monitored the temps and they were fine.

Today I took it apart and tried swapping the 2 ram sticks around, but that didn't solve anything. I then tried only one ram stick but i got 4 beeps for a ram failure. I then removed my graphics card and tried the same thing with no luck.

I then put the 2 sticks of ram in my second channel slots and it seemed to work. I played around for about 15 minutes and it didn't crash. Satisfied I reinstated my graphics card and turned it on and again it seemed fine. So after about 5 minutes I went to shut it down and it suddenly shut off and did the fan thing again.

I don't think my graphics card is faulty as it was barely used. The first one i had smoked up after only 6 months of using it. So I'd say it's the PSU. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? I won't be able to get my hands on other RAM to test for several weeks.

Here's a link to the first thread I made about the problem a couple of years ago. I went a little more in dept there: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057465130/1/#post96322461

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any overclock applied? Unstable overclock/bad ram settings will very easily cause this issue. First step would be to restore default settings in the bios.

Other than that, most likely to the PSU on an odds basis, though hard to say conclusively. Where are you based? If by any chance Galway I have spare PSU's and Ram you're welcome to try. I'm some wherever you are someone'll be willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Any overclock applied? Unstable overclock/bad ram settings will very easily cause this issue. First step would be to restore default settings in the bios.

Other than that, most likely to the PSU on an odds basis, though hard to say conclusively. Where are you based? If by any chance Galway I have spare PSU's and Ram you're welcome to try. I'm some wherever you are someone'll be willing to help.

Wow that's really nice of you thank you for that kind offer but I'm based in limerick. There's no overclock and that bios should already have default settings. My wattage should be enough for my build but I've been having issues from day one. Like even when my pc is working whenever I shut it down, it doesn't shut off itself, I have to wait until everything is shutdown and then power it off by the button. I've heard that's it's something to do with flashing your bios but I never read to much into it because it seemed harmless. I also had a bad ram problem a few years ago with the same sticks of ram but that problem seemed to fix itself after a bit.

The thing is it could be a ram problem or a PSU problem but I've no way of telling for sure. It could even be a cpu (but i doubt it) or mobo problem. Like maybe the slots of the mobo are damaged or something. If i replace them than I basically have to overhaul the whole system. Im really not sure what to do besides maybe just save up and build a new pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

How many sticks of RAM are you using, you could try each individually, this could help you pinpoint the problem. You could also try run memtest. I haven't (luckily) had to use it in a long time, but it normally throws up errors if your RAM is bad.

Edit, I see above you actually have 2 4gb, so trying 1 by 1 could help pinpoint.

Julez wrote: »
    How many sticks of RAM are you using, you could try each individually, this could help you pinpoint the problem. You could also try run memtest. I haven't (luckily) had to use it in a long time, but it normally throws up errors if your RAM is bad.

Edit, I see above you actually have 2 4gb, so trying 1 by 1 could help pinpoint.

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried using just one stick. I just get the memory error beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried using just one stick. I just get the memory error beeps.

How do you mean it beeps? It should work with just one stick installed.

• Advertisement

How do you mean it beeps? It should work with just one stick installed.

It should but it doesn't. I get 4 POST beeps. Indicating ram failure.

It should but it doesn't. I get 4 POST beeps. Indicating ram failure.

There is something wrong with the board or the sticks of RAM.

Did you try both sticks one at a time in the correct socket?

There is something wrong with the board or the sticks of RAM.

Did you try both sticks one at a time in the correct socket?

I agree but I don't know which. I tried each stick separately in each channel

I agree but I don't know which. I tried each stick separately in each channel

I've a feeling it is the board but that is just a guess. You will have to get a known working stick some where and try it. All you need is one stick and if it does not work the board is to put it in better words f**ked.

I've a feeling it is the board but that is just a guess. You will have to get a known working stick some where and try it. All you need is one stick and if it does not work the board is to put it in better words f**ked.

That's basically what i was thinking. Though it's still possible it's the PSU as well but not as likely I suppose. I was just hoping maybe someone here might think of something I haven't thought of. I don't have access to other RAM besides buying some and replacing a mobo is awkward because i have to ensure the cpu socket is correct and contact MS about my Win 10 OS licence being transferred. Basically I'm f**ked.

• Advertisement

I doubt it is the PSU as the sticks would still work. You an buy a stick of RAM in CEX.

That 2GB stick is 8 euro so not a major setback it should work to test the motherboard.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SMEM10QAA#.Wa3JXMiGMuU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CEX don't test ram, CPUs, etc (really they just test HDDs and graphics cards) so duds are not uncommon. I've given up buying RAM there, half the time I buy DDR3 ram I get sent out useless ECC Server ram!

Just the other day I bought two sticks of DDR4 desktop 3000mhz.....out arrives 2 sticks of 2133mhz laptop DDR4.

Advertisement