Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying air rifle pellets online

Options
  • 07-08-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has bought air rifle pellets online, from Amazon etc. Do they ship here ok and what sites do people use. My closest RFD has a poor selection and is not very close to me either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

I bought some online from a shop in Ireland (Outdoorsports.ie). There's a few gun shops with online stores in Ireland. I had to send a copy of my licence (front and back) and ID.

No problems though, arrived next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Pure stupidity Irish style, the need to licence tiny bits of inert shaped lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

I understand your frustration too. In the UK you can buy a less than 12lbs/ft air rifle once you're over 18 which take the same .22 pellets Great for ratting BTW.

You should remember that some air powered rifles can be more powerful than a .22LR. High pressure air rifles can shoot over 1200ft/s.

That's lethal.. They're using the same pellets you're asking why you need a licence to buy. That's why. Inert or not, it's the firearm they're going into determines the velocity of those inert pellets.

What pellets are you looking for?

EDIT: Sorry gunny, mixed you up with the OP. Sorry!

Rubbish, that's like saying steel tube should be licenced because someone might make a shotgun barrel out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

mylo10 wrote: »
    I understand your frustration too. In the UK you can buy a less than 12lbs/ft air rifle once you're over 18 which take the same .22 pellets Great for ratting BTW.

You should remember that some air powered rifles can be more powerful than a .22LR. High pressure air rifles can shoot over 1200ft/s.

That's lethal.. They're using the same pellets you're asking why you need a licence to buy. That's why. Inert or not, it's the firearm they're going into determines the velocity of those inert pellets.

What pellets are you looking for?

EDIT: Sorry gunny, mixed you up with the OP. Sorry!

Well I was hoping to get a H&N sample pack or a sample pack that contains a variety of different brands of pellet to see which one my rifle works best with. Just bought a Weihrauch HW 97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Kran wrote: »
    Well I was hoping to get a H&N sample pack or a sample pack that contains a variety of different brands of pellet to see which one my rifle works best with. Just bought a Weihrauch HW 97.
    Kendall/monsoon in dunlaoire has the sample packs

I'm down the south near ish to Limerick city. Don't suppose they deliver or anything? I can't find that shop online anyway. I'm currently in Wales for a few days and if the missus allows it I'm hoping to pop into a shop here to pick up some pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Intershoot will post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm down the south near ish to Limerick city. Don't suppose they deliver or anything? I can't find that shop online anyway. I'm currently in Wales for a few days and if the missus allows it I'm hoping to pop into a shop here to pick up some pellets.

:eek:

If you live in Northern Ireland, that's not a problem.

If you live in the Republic of Ireland, that's arms smuggling...

tac

Well I could always say that they were ones I had bought back home and forgot to take out of the car. Act the gom and you can't go wrong is a saying my father used to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just wondering if anyone has bought air rifle pellets online, from Amazon etc. Do they ship here ok and what sites do people use. My closest RFD has a poor selection and is not very close to me either.
    As they are ammunition you need to import them legally using a personal import form from the DoJ. If they ship them to you without this they will be seized and you will get a visit from your local Gardaí. This may result in anything from "don't do that again" to loss of firearm and/or fine/sentence.
    Well I could always say that they were ones I had bought back home and forgot to take out of the car. Act the gom and you can't go wrong is a saying my father used to say.
    Ignorance is no excuse under the law and the firearms act specifically says the onus is on the firearm owner/licensee to know the various provisions of the law that relate to them. IOW you should know or inform yourself as to the legalities of importing such ammo.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    As they are ammunition you need to import them legally using a personal import form from the DoJ. If they ship them to you without this they will be seized and you will get a visit from your local GardaThis may result in anything from "don't do that again" to loss of firearm and/or fine/sentence.
    Ignorance is no excuse under the law and the firearms act specifically says the onus is on the firearm owner/licensee to know the various provisions of the law that relate to them. IOW you should know or inform yourself as to the legalities of importing such ammo.
    You know what, like the majority of my fellow Irishmen I've spent all my life doing it by the book etc. I've no convictions of any sort nor never had, even feckin points on my license. Every day I read about some scummer in the paper with 120 previous convictions and living free off the state that gets a slap on the wrist for robbing or beating the **** out of a senior citizen. <MOD SNIP>Saying that what you said is all very true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mod hat on for this one.

I've edited your post rather than delete it in its entirety.

You have, on an open forum, said you intend to do an illegal act and as the forum does not allow or condone illegal activity i've removed it.

I understand your frustration, but we have laws and the forum abides by them. I have given you the legal necessities above, but what you do is up to you. However such statements of intent will not b allowed to be posted here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Mod hat on for this one.

I've edited your post rather than delete it in its entirety.

You have, on an open forum, said you intend to do an illegal act and as the forum does not allow or condone illegal activity i've removed it.

I understand your frustration, but we have laws and the forum abides by them. I have given you the legal necessities above, but what you do is up to you. However such statements of intent will not b allowed to be posted here.
    Ok fair enough Cass, my apologies.

Ok fair enough Cass, my apologies.

I know its frustrating, but not worth losing your certs, job, house etc etc for, having a criminal record for firearms offences.

Advertisement