Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to be given notice to leave.

Options
  • 07-08-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all I am in a pickle again now this is the 4th time.

Renting since 2011 and soon to be royally f##ked over once more.

1st house turned into mould and mushrooms growing indoors.
    2nd before huge rent crisis started they increased the rent €350 to an already extortionate rate especially for what the place was and location.
    3rd rented for 1.7 months and LL just pocketed the rent money till we had a visit from bank appointed management company and given notice and had to leave.
    4th is pretty much a repeat but LL has died so family are going to be selling.

So we are at a point now where there are near no properties to actually rent or we can't afford to pay even close what they are looking for, or will have to move further and further away to a point where we will be commuting by car over an hour each way without traffic.

We would much prefer to buy but as I'm sure you can understand we can't get a deposit together between rent and having to commute as we were pushed out of Dublin due to the crazy rental prices.

I understand most of the terms and laws that come with these types of things but more so thinking along the lines of trying to get onto the minister and other say TD's and such to highlight these issues which I am fully aware we aren't the only ones.

Both working, commute to work and all this costs a small fortune of course.

Any help or advice very much welcome... Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

ehm...not sure what kind of advice you're looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi all I am in a pickle again now this is the 4th time.

Renting since 2011 and soon to be royally f##ked over once more.

1st house turned into mould and mushrooms growing indoors.
    2nd before huge rent crisis started they increased the rent €350 to an already extortionate rate especially for what the place was and location.
    3rd rented for 1.7 months and LL just pocketed the rent money till we had a visit from bank appointed management company and given notice and had to leave.
    4th is pretty much a repeat but LL has died so family are going to be selling.

So we are at a point now where there are near no properties to actually rent or we can't afford to pay even close what they are looking for, or will have to move further and further away to a point where we will be commuting by car over an hour each way without traffic.

We would much prefer to buy but as I'm sure you can understand we can't get a deposit together between rent and having to commute as we were pushed out of Dublin due to the crazy rental prices.

I understand most of the terms and laws that come with these types of things but more so thinking along the lines of trying to get onto the minister and other say TD's and such to highlight these issues which I am fully aware we aren't the only ones.

Both working, commute to work and all this costs a small fortune of course.

Any help or advice very much welcome... Thanks.

It would do no harm contacting TDs saying extortionate rents are prohibiting you saving a deposit.

Also, the lack of protections for tenants could result in homelessness.

Enough people complain they might take action.

Sorry to hear of your situation and I hope somewhere comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An hour by car, bus, or train? And are you coming from the North, West, or South?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

the_syco wrote: »
    An hour by car, bus, or train? And are you coming from the North, West, or South?

Hi South and by car as times work there is no services to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gizmo81 wrote:
    Also, the lack of protections for tenants could result in homelessness.

Tenants have the benefit of protection to the detriment of landlords. The law is very uneven. Nobody complained a few years ago when rents dropped.
    gizmo81 wrote:
    Enough people complain they might take action.

The only solution is an increase in supply through a dramatic change in policy. The ban on bedsits should be reverted for example until there's sufficient supply to warrant it.

The idea that Dublin should be a low roofline city is patently ridiculous and only suits people who happily occupy little terraced housing in close to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I'd be interested to know how many places near you or your work have been exclusively converted to airbnbs ,I've seen places I viewed when buying popping up a few months later. Seems to happen more and more.
    I wonder how this will be picked up on the new vacant dwelling survey to be carried out.

Is it feasible to check out the north side, or go a bit west?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

the_syco wrote: »
    Is it feasible to check out the north side, or go a bit west?

With school and her minding it would mean even earlier times leaving and never actually been home to be honest.

Work for both in Dublin. School there also as near parents which are a great help when on shifts that can't collect.

Work for both in Dublin. School there also as near parents which are a great help when on shifts that can't collect.
    If you're stuck in the location, you'll have to pay to stay then.

Advertisement