Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance claim

Options
  • 07-08-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, had a guy sideswipe my car.
    To cut a long story short, guy left scene, i called gardai, they tracked him down.
    They said i was fully in right and he was wrong.
    They gave me insurance details, i called his insurance company. They called me back saying guy is saying he never hit my car.
    They are to get garda report and send accesor out to me.

Im working on theroy with this, so bear with me. Ive never had to claim off a insurer before.

If accesor finds as garda did, that he was at fault and did hit my car. Will they press him for attempted insurance fraud?
    Also, when/if they find he did damage my car, will insurer tell me to fix it and they re-imburse me. Or do they pay garage i take it to be fixed directly?
    Had two verbal quotes of approx 600 to fix dents and scrapes.
    How does it all work??
    Any insight appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

If damage consistent on both cars then the insurance company will pay out no issues, they can pay you directly or garage for you, pretty straight forward once damage is consistent on both vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Have you spoken to your own insurer?

Do that first

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Didnt realise i had to contact my insurance. Would that affect my premium on renewal?

Also guy that hit me is saying he has no damage, which could make sense as the force was on my car and his vehicle wouldnt of had any real resistance to rubbing alongside mine.
    However gardai noted in report his car colour paint had transferred onto mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Always contact your own insurance.

It won't affect your own unless you claim on your own policy or have a claim against you.

Is it normal to contact the other insurer?

I'd be wary of saying anything to them unless i hear different, ?

• Advertisement

Of course its normal as the op is claiming he hit his car and he legged it and disputes it. Not going to be easy to get money off someone who legs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

As part of your policy conditions your obliged to notify your insurer of any incident which may give rise to a claim, doesn't mean anything comes of it from your insurer but they need to be made aware of it.

Sono wrote: »
    As part of your policy conditions your obliged to notify your insurer of any incident which may give rise to a claim, doesn't mean anything comes of it from your insurer but they need to be made aware of it.

The "other" persons insurer

I already made the point about contacting your own in any incident

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Always contact your own insurance.

It won't affect your own unless you claim on your own policy or have a claim against you.

Any claim might affect the premium. But you need to notify insurer anyway - the other driver might be claiming against you.

Those scumbags industry say that even if the claim is not driver's fault, she or he has a higher risk of causing a claim in future. While extremely unfair to majority of drivers, statistically that might actually be true...

grogi wrote: »
    Any claim might affect the premium. But you need to notify insurer anyway - the other driver might be claiming against you.

Those scumbags industry say that even if the claim is not driver's fault, she or he has a higher risk of causing a claim in future. While extremely unfair to majority of drivers, statistically that might actually be true...

I've had quite a few where I've been hit over the years has no effect on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Can you show me a link to that assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

It's not an assertion, grogi said might

It could very well be true. Some drivers are very aware and subsequently compliant to bad drivers mistakes, and drive defensively to avoid a collison.

Others are extremely single minded and out of sheer stubbornness and malicious compliance with the rules of the road will see themselves in more collisions, even if those are someone else fault. "Why should I stop? I have right of way, he shouldn't have pulled out so late"

Can you show me a link to that assertion?

If you follow this forum you surely have came across cases like that. I know the ball is in my side, I'll try to find some later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

That is incorrect. I've worked in insurance for the last decade. A claim will and can only effect the future premium/NCB if an insurance company has to make a payment.

The OP should report the claim to his own insurer. Even if only for notification purposes.

He should be contacting the insurer of the other vehicle though and pursuing his claim through them to ensure there are no costs on his own policy.

They will have various methods of getting the correct information - instructing an investigator to take a statement from their client, getting assessor reports on both vehicles, speaking to the Gardatc.

If the Gardaave proof of paint transfer, the third party isn't going to have a leg to stand on.

There won't be any prosecution though. Even if a claim runs to court and a claimant is found to have totally fabricated their condition, do you ever hear of them being prosecuted for insurance fraud? It just doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

spacekiwi wrote: »
    the force was on my car and his vehicle wouldnt of had any real resistance to rubbing alongside mine.
    Make an offer to buy this magical car that isn't subject to physics.

Lemlin wrote: »
    That is incorrect. I've worked in insurance for the last decade. A claim will and can only effect the future premium/NCB if an insurance company has to make a payment.

If such claims don't matter, why are we explicitly told to disclose them on quotation?! They seem to matter then...

If such claims don't matter, why are we explicitly told to disclose them on quotation?! They seem to matter then...

What company told you to explicity disclose them? I work for an Irish insurer and only ''fault accidents' need to be declared.

Why would you penalize someone for a non fault accident? Its not their fault some idiot ran up the arse end of their car for example.

Every company has their own quirks but no insurer should be loading anyone's premium for a non fault accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Didnt realise i had to contact my insurance.
    It's a standard condition on most insurance policies. Check your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The OP should report the claim to his own insurer. Even if only for notification purposes.

He should be contacting the insurer of the other vehicle though and pursuing his claim through them to ensure there are no costs on his own policy.

They will have various methods of getting the correct information - instructing an investigator to take a statement from their client, getting assessor reports on both vehicles, speaking to the Gardatc.

If the Gardaave proof of paint transfer, the third party isn't going to have a leg to stand on.

There won't be any prosecution though. Even if a claim runs to court and a claimant is found to have totally fabricated their condition, do you ever hear of them being prosecuted for insurance fraud? It just doesn't happen.
    Well I know it's a different market but in the UK, if you are on a no fault accident it does affect your renewal for exactly the reason stated above....I don't agree with it as they doubled my renewal after a full settlement from the other insurer.

What company told you to explicity disclose them? I work for an Irish insurer and only ''fault accidents' need to be declared.

Let's start with the letter A... AA, AXA...
    AXA:We need to know the details of all claims (relating to all drivers) including windscreen, not-at-fault claims and claims made under policies with protected no claims discount
    Why would you penalize someone for a non fault accident? Its not their fault some idiot ran up the arse end of their car for example.

I agree - it is unfair to majority of the drivers. But insurance is not about fairness, it is about statistics. And statistically a driver with a not-at-fault claim is a bigger risk, as previously explained by @Kevin Irving.
    Some drivers are very aware and subsequently compliant to bad drivers mistakes, and drive defensively to avoid a collison.

Others are extremely single minded and out of sheer stubbornness and malicious compliance with the rules of the road will see themselves in more collisions, even if those are someone else fault. "Why should I stop? I have right of way, he shouldn't have pulled out so late"

I would just add that such driver is typically less aware of the surroundings - and because of that more likely to be at fault in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

If accesor finds as garda did, that he was at fault and did hit my car. Will they press him for attempted insurance fraud?

The assessor will only quantify the damage and generate a cost of repair for the insurance company.

If you have a preferred body-shop I would arrange to meet the assessor there and have them discuss \ debate with the assessor. The insurance company will normally only pay what the assessor estimates. (there can be a little wriggle room but not a lot so better argue with assessor before he submits his report)

In my experience they will give you the choice of either paying the garage or issuing the cheque directly to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Those scumbags industry say that even if the claim is not driver's fault, she or he has a higher risk of causing a claim in future....

Is this true? If I drop something I might be clumsy and likely to drop something again but if something is knocked out of my hand it doesn’t increase the risk of me dropping something in the future. Interesting industry.

SteM wrote: »
    Is this true? If I drop something I might be clumsy and likely to drop something again but if something is knocked out of my hand it doesn’t increase the risk of me dropping something in the future. Interesting industry.

If you managed to avoid stuff being knocked out of your hand so far, you are a keeper :)

knipex wrote: »
    In my experience they will give you the choice of either paying the garage or issuing the cheque directly to you.

What's more, a cheque will not include VAT...

It will if going directly to the garage after repairs have completed.

You are referring to a cash in lieu settlement. Basically, if someone wants the cash themselves, the insurance company will not pay VAT until the final repair account is received.

This is because a lot of people will go to their local dealer, get an expensive quote, take the cash and then get a local mechanic to fix the car for a fraction of the price the main dealer quoted.

Have you any insurance qualification? CIP, MDI, ACII? You seem to have a lot of opinions on the topic which I would see as incorrect.

It will if going directly to the garage.

You are referring to a cash in lieu settlement. Basically, if someone wants the cash themselves, the insurance company will not pay VAT until the final repair account is received.

Yes, that's what I am referring to. So was I wrong an it will it VAT? No, it won't.
    Have you any insurance qualification? CIP, MDI, ACII? You seem to have a lot of opinions on the topic which I would see as incorrect.

You might have been working in the industry for years. I however have been struggling insuring my cars for years and read the small print. I have slightly different perspective on the subject.

I have no issue asking about advice. I have no problem admitting I was wrong and have done that numerous times in the past.

But when it comes to insurance I am not wrong often. Any claim (despite the policy holder having NCB protection, despite being not-at-fault, despite it is only windshield etc) affects the risk profile and might affect premium. An insurer might decide to ignore it for the sake of fairness or not even require information about claims not-at-fault, but there are insurers that require it.

Not true.

The cheque will include VAT unless you are a VAT registered company or have a trade or business insurance policy.

Not true.

The cheque will include VAT unless you are a VAT registered company or have a trade or business insurance policy.

Such practice (not including VAT) was deemed illegal in many places around Europe. I would be more than happy to be corrected on this if it wasn't the case in Ireland anymore.

Such practice was deemed illegal in many places around Europe. I would be more than happy to be corrected on this if it wasn't the case in Ireland anymore.

What practice ???

• Advertisement

Not true.

It won't if you are accepting cash in lieu of repairs.

There's no onus on the insurance company to pay VAT until they receive a repairer's final account which shows VAT was paid.

Advertisement