Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time car insurance payments

Options
  • 07-08-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

Hope this is going in the right place and I have looked and couldn't find something similar to the answer I need.
    I am looking to buy my first car on a provisional licence.
    I have been looking at ford fiestas in the year 2005/2006 and the best quote I've found is €3,862.01 with monthly payments of €148.90 with AA car insurance.
    I'm just so confused and feeling so stupid wondering do I just sign up all details and they just want €148.90 as first payment and then every month same amount or do I have to pay that amount plus some kind of deposit fee? and will the fact Im just starting lessons make a difference? do I need to mention it to AA? and I suppose last question would be for a 28year old first time driver is that quote good? I think it is compared to others

Thanks

Also sorry if I did any of this wrong or put it in the wrong place
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

papps wrote: »
    Hi

Hope this is going in the right place and I have looked and couldn't find something similar to the answer I need.
    I have been looking at ford fiestas in the year 2005/2006 and the best quote I've found is €3,862.01 with monthly payments of €148.90 with AA car insurance.
    I'm just so confused and feeling so stupid wondering do I just sign up all details and they just want €148.90 as first payment and then every month same amount or do I have to pay that amount plus some kind of deposit fee? and will the fact Im just starting lessons make a difference? do I need to mention it to AA? and I suppose last question would be for a 28year old first time driver is that quote good? I think it is compared to others

Thanks

They could ask for a deposit and the monthly payments. The deposit will be subtracted from the total premium. For example:
    €1000 Total Premium
    -€200 deposit
    =800/12 (to get your monthly payments)
    Total per month: €66.66

These figures are for demonstration purposes only and will also incur interest from the "loan" you've got to pay back.

The fact you're starting lessons is irrelevant so long as you've given your right driver experience when you got the quote. When you pass your full test you should then inform the AA so they can make the adjustment to your premium and refund the difference to you.

I would suggest shopping around by ringing as opposed to online. I've always found way better quotes when you take the time to ring around.

Also from the figures you quoted above:
    12 monthly payments of 148.90 = 1,786.80
    Which would suggest the deposit they want from you is €2,039.21 meaning if you went with this policy on monthly payments they would want the €2,039.21 up front and then you pay 148.90 per month for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€3,862 for insurance! i know it maybe the best quote but paying that much is never good ,
    would it be much cheaper with full licence and wait until you pass your test before getting a car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 papps

Miike

Thank you so much for responding, that is a very clear explanation of it all, I'm sure it should be easier to understand from the websites but I'm finding it very overwhelming :( I might actually try calling around tomorrow to see if the quotes do get better, I don't mind paying a big deposit and monthly payments, once I know the definite amount from day one and there's no surprises

Thank you :) much appreciated :)

SCOOP 64,
    would the amount go down a good bit when I have a full licence? I just assumed it's going to be high no matter what as it's my first time driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

SCOOP 64,
    would the amount go down a good bit when I have a full licence? I just assumed it's going to be high no matter what as it's my first time driving?

Is there anybody at all you can get insured under for your first year? Mother father granny?
    If you could get 2 years named driving that quote would be down nearer the 1k mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

That for me is a please f'off quote. They don't want your business.

What you need to do is get your lessons, and take the test. Take your mandatory lessons, and then take 3 or 4 intensive sessions before the test. Work hard, you will pass. Then get insured and your own car.

Unfortunately that is the way you will have to do it.

Christ I remember when FAS would pay up to truck lessons for you when you were unemployed. Very hard for a young driver to get on the road now.

Edit: In case anyone is thinking I am suggesting the op take he test with less than 20 hours driving experience, I am not. My son's friend went on my son's car for a week, and then another week at the time of the test. It was 50 quid a go, but my son took him out and they practiced major to minor, minor to major, 3 point turns, reversing, etc, and the kid passed.

TheBully wrote: »
    Is there anybody at all you can get insured under for your first year? Mother father granny?
    If you could get 2 years named driving that quote would be down nearer the 1k mark

Would I have to drive the car under their insurance? or could I add my own car to their insurance? I have no clue about any of this, Im sure my dad would do it but he drives a Mercedes so If I had to drive the same car as his insured car I don't think I could handle driving a car that big

myshirt wrote: »

What you need to do is get your lessons, and take the test. Take your mandatory lessons, and then take 3 or 4 intensive sessions before the test. Work hard, you will pass. Then get insured and your own car.

Christ I remember when FAS would pay up to truck lessons for you when you were unemployed. Very hard for a young driver to get on the road now.

I thought it would be easier than this to get driving, I've always lived in cities or abroad and it's the worst thing I ever did not listening as a teenager to get my licence and start driving, because now it's seems impossible, and for stupid reason I thought being an older woman would make it cheaper, but no!

would it matter not having a car to practice with in between lessons?

Might sound crazy but have you tried putting your dad down as named driver on your policy,
    Ive heard on other posts that this actually brought some quotes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Get all your lessons done, and then do some intensive sessions with a mate a week at a time, that's the minimum they will put you on the insurance. Get one lesson in-between each session with a mate. The more driving experience the better, but also the more driving experience the more opportunity to develop bad habits. Get the lessons, get into that frame of thinking, practice all that, major to minor, minor to major, and you will pass.

• Advertisement

I thought it would be easier than this to get driving, I've always lived in cities or abroad and it's the worst thing I ever did not listening as a teenager to get my licence and start driving, because now it's seems impossible, and for stupid reason I thought being an older woman would make it cheaper, but no!

would it matter not having a car to practice with in between lessons?

Funny you should mention that , in discussion on another thread about actually this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104307260

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Might sound crazy but have you tried putting your dad down as named driver on your policy,
    Ive heard on other posts that this actually brought some quotes down.

Just tried it and it didn't change it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Hi

Thanks

The 148.90 monthly installment cost doesn't make sense. The AA split the cost into monthly installments, they would never charge an upfront fee of two grand.

Are you sure on the numbers??

http://www.theaa.ie/car-insurance/young-drivers-car-insurance.aspx

Just tried it and it didn't change it :(

sorry,worth a try.

Get all your lessons done, and then do some intensive sessions with a mate a week at a time, that's the minimum they will put you on the insurance. Get one lesson in-between each session with a mate. The more driving experience the better, but also the more driving experience the more opportunity to develop bad habits. Get the lessons, get into that frame of thinking, practice all that, major to minor, minor to major, and you will pass.

I think my only reason for needing a car during lessons to practice in between is I'm a very very nervous passenger and and even studying for the theory test I was over thinking it way too much, like full blown scenarios in my mind when all they wanted was the common sense, correct answer that fit the question.
    If that makes sense?
    Im worried I'll be doing driving lessons for the next 10years just to able to get a full licence without practice on top

tedpan wrote: »
    The 148.90 monthly installment cost doesn't make sense. The AA split the cost into monthly installments, they would never charge an upfront fee of two grand.

Are you sure on the numbers??

this is the content of the quote email sent me after entering all details

have I gone wrong somewhere?

Cover Type: Step Back
    Your quote: €3,862.01
    Web reference number: WW1MW218BRS9
    Vehicle Make: FORD
    Vehicle Model: FIESTA LX
    Pay monthly from just: €148.90
    This quote is valid for just 7 days.

papps wrote:
    Cover Type: Step Back Your quote: €3,862.01 Web reference number: WW1MW218BRS9 Vehicle Make: FORD Vehicle Model: FIESTA LX Pay monthly from just: €148.90 This quote is valid for just 7 days.

Jesus, that's not easy to pay. Does it explain the installment plan?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    sorry,worth a try.

thanks for the suggestion though

It's a bizzare thought but wouldn't it be easier for the insurance companies have an option to give you the smallest , easiest car to drive on loan for a year with their insurance plan ( for an extra fee) to get you started on the right path? If there was an option for me to go to AA and get the whole lot, car and insurance just for my first year I would do it, have a box thing like the other company to keep track of miles and then after a year give the car back ready to buy your first car

would suit someone like me who doesnt need a car except to practice

Jesus, that's not easy to pay. Does it explain the installment plan?

11 monthly payments
    Initial deposit of
    €2,163.76
    TYPICAL APR 19.5%

It just feels like there would be a catch somewhere if I paid an upfront large amount and then the monthly installments, Like I would have missed some other big amount and would get caught for it somewhere

11 monthly payments
    Initial deposit of
    €2,163.76
    TYPICAL APR 19.5%

It just feels like there would be a catch somewhere if I paid an upfront large amount and then the monthly installments, Like I would have missed some other big amount and would get caught for it somewhere

There will be no hidden fees. You pay Initial deposit of €2,163.76 PLUS the monthly instalments of €148.90

The quote you got is extortion though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

This thread sounds fishy.

Related to the new poster that had a crash into a pole whilst drunk and on two different drugs on the motors forum?

Sorry if its genuine, but newly reg user with a strangly similar posting style to other new users with similar "too much detail" posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Edit: In case anyone is thinking I am suggesting the op take he test with less than 20 hours driving experience, I am not. My son's friend went on my son's car for a week, and then another week at the time of the test. It was 50 quid a go, but my son took him out and they practiced major to minor, minor to major, 3 point turns, reversing, etc, and the kid passed.

I got my licence in fas.

You can get the full car licence through their delivery driver course, they pay for the lot.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    This thread sounds fishy.

Related to the new poster that had a crash into a pole whilst drunk and on two different drugs on the motors forum?

Sorry if its genuine, but newly reg user with a strangly similar posting style to other new users with similar "too much detail" posts.

I think you're trying to same I'm the same persons as the other people posting to those threads?no I'm different I promise
    I despise drunk drivers, or people who use their phone while driving, or who don't wear seat belts,
    I just want to know about the cost of car insurance for first time female driver

Miike wrote: »
    There will be no hidden fees. You pay Initial deposit of €2,163.76 PLUS the monthly instalments of €148.90

The quote you got is extortion though :(

ok thanks, I know it's starting to feel like I'm not meant to drive alone just yet and I might be better off waiting and just accepting it might be another year to get all the lessons I need and then hopefully get my full licence and a cheaper quote

ok thanks, I know it's starting to feel like I'm not meant to drive alone just yet and I might be better off waiting and just accepting it might be another year to get all the lessons I need and then hopefully get my full licence and a cheaper quote

Try a local insurance broker and also try ringing Chill.ie (I've found chill to be brilliant, others have found the exact opposite)

Miike wrote: »
    Try a local insurance broker and also try ringing Chill.ie (I've found chill to be brilliant, others have found the exact opposite)

Thanks I think I will try calling around on the phone and see if it's easier to get sorted than going online :)

papps wrote:
    I think you're trying to same I'm the same persons as the other people posting to those threads?no I'm different I promise I despise drunk drivers, or people who use their phone while driving, or who don't wear seat belts, I just want to know about the cost of car insurance for first time female driver

You know about the other threads? You're a new member...

Best of luck with the insurance. Maybe contact a broker.

Thanks I think I will try calling around on the phone and see if it's easier to get sorted than going online :)

Finding insurance is a pain in the arse. Best of luck with it :)

Your not just doing online quotes ,you have tried a few brokers?
    just seems very expensive, i would just take the lessons and get full licence first.

• Advertisement

You know about the other threads? You're a new member...

Best of luck with the insurance. Maybe contact a broker.

no idea bout any others threads I just assumed that the comment meant another the member thought I was another user from a different thread?
    thanks very much
    have a good night :)

Advertisement