Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed of fish is this?!?!?

Options
  • 07-08-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I went fishing at Fenit pier the other day and caught two fish, the bait i used was a bit of fish meat on the end of 4 hooks, that i just pulled through the water, the fish were hooked about 20 seconds after the cast, when i reeled them in they looked like a catfish, a flat kinda of head, there eyes were high ontop of the head, were roughly a foot long each, they had sort of non pointed spines, just before there fins, behind the head, and had a dark redish, greenish, upper body and a light cream coloured belly, does anyone know what the hell i caught? they were like baby catfish minus the whiskers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Red Gurnard I would reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

As mentioned before gurnard..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael132

archer22 wrote: »
    Red Gurnard I would reckon

Ah thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael132

Bikerguy wrote: »
    As mentioned before gurnard..

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

There are three types of Gurnard (info here). Also known as Chicken of the Sea. Highly under-rated eating fish, although, by the time you remove the head there is not a lot left, but beautiful tasting none the less. Foot long would be a fine sized Red Gurnard from the shore. I'd say more likely Tub or even Grey although Grey's are normally a bit smaller than that. Red Gurnard are normally a pretty vivid red colour. They actually use the spines on their lower fins to 'walk' around on the sea floor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement