Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy priced properties

Options
  • 08-08-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Well i recall seeing in the motors forum a thread with placed for sale at ridiculousliy overpriced prices.

I figured it was time we had the same for property.

Apologies if such thread already exists but i could see one.

Ill get the ball rolling on this one that has me still picking my jaw up off the floor looking at the price.

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/skerries/14-balbriggan-st-skerries-dublin-1386452

This ladies and gentlemen is a 1 bedroon bungalow with a BER energy rating of D1 in skerries. It has no garden or front passageway from what i can see and is a giveaway at just 265k.

Can anyone explain how a quick search om daft shows modern 1 bed for 220 and 240k in ballsbridge but yet the above is priced at 265k??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hoping to find a mug out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People like Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

lightspeed wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how a quick search om daft shows modern 1 bed for 220 and 240k in ballsbridge but yet the above is priced at 265k??

I love threads like this but a couple of issues. i) property prices are mental ii) in motors it's some German car owner with a tiny, tiny ahem... or some souped up ahem box and it's very funny. With houses they've been professionally valued and one strategy is to price high to avoid the Tyre-kickers. Another is that people have no intention of selling and are either putting the house up for an ego trip (unlikely) or being forced to do so by the bank.

That said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3Gb5mkwTc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    People like Skerries.

Yeah but I would have thought people like living in houses, rather than sheds, more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's either a devious plot to zombify people into buying the property when they clearly don't even want to or that enough people might currently want to buy the house enough to escalate the price.

If enough people elect not to buy it at that price, the seller will - amazingly -probably have to drop the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I can't link whole Tyrellstown here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I love threads like this but a couple of issues. i) property prices are mental ii) in motors it's some German car owner with a tiny, tiny ahem... or some souped up ahem box and it's very funny. With houses they've been professionally valued and one strategy is to price high to avoid the Tyre-kickers. Another is that people have no intention of selling and are either putting the house up for an ego trip (unlikely) or being forced to do so by the bank.

That said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3Gb5mkwTc

Professionally value by someone who clearly needs to go to specsavers. There are 2 bed apartments at 190k in skerries right now. So how is this old looking 1 bed professionally valued at 265k?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

You can find in 200k 1BDR apartment in city center.

Professionally value by someone who clearly needs to go to specsavers. There are 2 bed apartments at 190k in skerries right now. So how is this old looking 1 bed professionally valued at 265k?

Who knows, but surely you see the flaw in this thread vs. the rather hilarious dramer thread in motors, perhaps not, I dunno. As I said before though no need for me to rain on the OP's parade, hopefully someone will find a few ones for us to chuckle at (only to find on the PPR they sold!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Quite a few pop up in the Funny houses/flats to rent thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

To be honest I have been keeping a close watch on 1 beds all around the city and most are going for 20-40k over the asking, so something you might see online for 200k is realistically going for 230k etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    To be honest I have been keeping a close watch on 1 beds all around the city and most are going for 20-40k over the asking, so something you might see online for 200k is realistically going for 230k etc...
    yeah but you can fine 1 beds near city center less than 200K and even in 180K so even if you added 20-30 you barely reach to 200K

Henbabani wrote: »
    yeah but you can fine 1 beds near city center less than 200K and even in 180K so even if you added 20-30 you barely reach to 200K

Near City centre encompasses an area ranging from Oliver Bond to 1000sqft 1 beds in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/corrybeg-way-templeogue-dublin-74900/

Had a quick look at these from outside and the photos on daft. Lovely finish sure and nice enough immediate surroundings, but the guts of a million euro is taking the Michael for me.

I love the descriptions too. All mentions of Milltown, Dundrum, Rathgar etc, like you're going to be in the heart of south county Dublin. And to add to the glamour they mention the "prestigious golf clubs" that are nowhere near the place really - nearby Spawell pitch and putt is ignored, too lowbrow I suppose ;)

No mention of Tallaght of course, just up the road :)

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Jesus H. You'd need another 100k to make it livable.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/santry/12-shanowen-road-santry-dublin-1484720/

That's around the corner of my man's uncle. Saw the sign and looked the price up, started to laugh.
    On his road in the last year or 5 houses sold, all in the range of 310 - 380k where the highest one was in turn-key condition and all the others needed some updating.

KungPao wrote: »
    Jesus H. You'd need another 100k to make it livable.

I thought the exact same thing, will be interesting to see in a few months what it goes for on the p.p. register

LirW wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/santry/12-shanowen-road-santry-dublin-1484720/

That's around the corner of my man's uncle. Saw the sign and looked the price up, started to laugh.
    On his road in the last year or 5 houses sold, all in the range of 310 - 380k where the highest one was in turn-key condition and all the others needed some updating.
    This one is in turn-stomach condition.

Seriously, if you know it needs 50k just to bring it up to a reasonable standard...then knock it off the price. 405k my eye, why the extra 5k anyway?

I'd offer 250.

KungPao wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/corrybeg-way-templeogue-dublin-74900/

Had a quick look at these from outside and the photos on daft. Lovely finish sure and nice enough immediate surroundings, but the guts of a million euro is taking the Michael for me.

I love the descriptions too. All mentions of Milltown, Dundrum, Rathgar etc, like you're going to be in the heart of south county Dublin. And to add to the glamour they mention the "prestigious golf clubs" that are nowhere near the place really - nearby Spawell pitch and putt is ignored, too lowbrow I suppose ;)

No mention of Tallaght of course, just up the road :)

FROM 850K :cool:

• Advertisement

The houses in this corner of Santry are old, of poor building quality and cold as a wet diaper in the winter wind. Yet they sell and almost all of them are in need of major work. Everything that's in nice condition is snapped up within days. I've seen a sign going up a few weeks ago, I swear 7 days later it was Sale agreed.

cold as a wet diaper in the winter wind.

Wish i had of been talking to you a few months ago... too late now i suppose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Those are some bold Carpet , curtains and wallpaper choices

I suspect the original owner had more than a passing acquaintance with L.S.D !

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Apologies for my ignorance but is there a way to tell if the likes of even 1 bed apartments are selling 20-40k above asking?

Like can you be sure thats fact and just a broad assumption?

I did read an article on facebook saying houses are selling at 20% above asking but assumed that that would less likely to be the case for 1 bed apartments.

ciarang85 wrote: »

With a prestine toilet like that and an open roof conservatory, it truly is a steal at that price 😂😂

1bed apartments are popular for a variety of reasons, they are excellent investments if you want to rent them out because in a good location in the current climate you'll get a good yield.
    City centre can be a minefield though, it's easy to get stuck in a block where you have a lot of antisocial behavior and substance abuse around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Mespil Estate? They're TINY. And not very modern; they were built in the 50s or 60s. It's not clear from the ad how big this house is, but it looks a good bit bigger than a ~35sqm apartment.

EDIT: Not saying that the price of the one in Skerries is sensible, but it's probably not a reasonable comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-sale/leixlip/6-glen-easton-manor-leixlip-kildare-1483959/

just a shade under half a million for a semi detached house in an estate with questions of pyrite issues , right at the edge of leixlip with only one spar and a seldom used bus stop near it.

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/sites-for-sale/leixlip/site-at-lindenbaum-leixlip-gate-leixlip-kildare-1467710/

400k for a half acre site down a badly paved laneway, in somebody's back garden. Only upside is It has planning for 2 houses to be rammed in there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote: »
    Mespil Estate? They're TINY. And not very modern; they were built in the 50s or 60s. It's not clear from the ad how big this house is, but it looks a good bit bigger than a ~35sqm apartment.

EDIT: Not saying that the price of the one in Skerries is sensible, but it's probably not a reasonable comparison.

Mespil estate was one i seen but there are others in D4 area that although probably overpriced as they are, its ridiculous how a presumbly qualified estate agent thinks that house in skerries is priced right.

Here is another in ballsbridge as an example at 225k that appears to have just gone up today. There is no argument to be made why that bungalow in skerries is worth 265k .

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballsbridge/apt-20-arranmore-13-17-pembroke-ballsbridge-dublin-1502605/

I emailed the estate agent asking is the price was a mistake but didnt get a reply.

Advertisement